The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

19 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Chips have their place. It's not at 8.30am nursing a morning glory, and regrets from the night before.

When we go out on the hoy in London , breakfast is usually at the greasy spoon place on Covent Garden market ... sausage , bacon, eggs , chips ,buttered bread and a mug of tea ( some weird ones have beans with it but let's not talk about them)   , it won't win any awards for services to food , but by jolly its just what the doctor ordered to  resuscitate you  

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

When we go out on the hoy in London , breakfast is usually at the greasy spoon place on Covent Garden market ... sausage , bacon, eggs , chips ,buttered bread and a mug of tea ( some weird ones have beans with it but let's not talk about them)   , it won't win any awards for services to food , but by jolly its just what the doctor ordered to  resuscitate you  

no fried bread or mushrooms

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

What's the maximum number of courses one is aloud at breakfast?

If it’s an all you can eat breakfast buffet, such as you’d find at Premier Inn for example, then three courses is the minimum.

Something like a full English containing bacon, sausage, fried egg, mushrooms, beans, hash browns and toast. Make a sandwich from the toast to further boost your first course. 

Second course is a bit more of the cooked stuff that you fancy, followed by a third course of pastries and or muffins. 

This is the minimum I’d expect, of course the maximum is only limited to your stomach size and whether the manager asks you to leave. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the subject of school puddings, we were given a slice of grapefruit with a bit of sugar and a glacè cherry on top. No kids like the sour foulness of grapefruit, so that was pretty cruel. On other days you might get tapioca, or if really lucky chocolate sponge and pink custard. 

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

If it’s an all you can eat breakfast buffet, such as you’d find at Premier Inn for example, then three courses is the minimum.

Something like a full English containing bacon, sausage, fried egg, mushrooms, beans, hash browns and toast. Make a sandwich from the toast to further boost your first course. 

Second course is a bit more of the cooked stuff that you fancy, followed by a third course of pastries and or muffins. 

This is the minimum I’d expect, of course the maximum is only limited to your stomach size and whether the manager asks you to leave. 

I always assumed they kept an eye on how long a table had been occupied, I always scoff at top speed so they wont notice.

Ps. I'm a smoked fish fancier

• Like 1

What are the views on pie, mash, chilli vinegar and liquor and  the ‘double  double’ variant. 

Basically the pies are slightly burnt, the mash generally lumpy, covered in eel juice 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Eggy bread is surely the emperor of fried breads and yet hardly ever seen out. 

Also known as "French Toast" to those posh nonces (and maybe what they are called elsewhere). 

Wayland's Yard in town actually do Eggy Crumpets which are particularly good! They are bit posh with Halloumi, chillis and what not, but my stomach doesn't complain! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Fixed and I know why. I don't know if your school rice pudding came with  a blob of optional jam, ours did..

One for the confessions thread: I've never had a school dinner. Not one. 

At primary school, I lived close enough to go home for lunch. When I went to grammar school, I was a notoriously slow eater, and my Mum was convinced I'd never get enough food down in me in the mad rush of the two-sittings school dinner hall, so I took a packed lunch instead. 

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

On the subject of school puddings, we were given a slice of grapefruit with a bit of sugar and a glacè cherry on top. No kids like the sour foulness of grapefruit, so that was pretty cruel. On other days you might get tapioca, or if really lucky chocolate sponge and pink custard. 

We had chocolate crunch and pink custard, the greatest thing ever.

• Like 2

Â