Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

1 minute ago, KHV said:

13 shots on goal to 0

Awful

No changes at half time as per usual 

Cue 2-0 Southampton and then the first change

Cue 3-0 Southampton and then the second change

Cue Smith moaning about VAR after the game saying the challenge on AEG should be a red card

That’s a bit unfair. Smith has never hidden when we’ve played shit. 

Just now, hippo said:

Yet another poor half from Konsa - looks like £11m down the pan - looks barley championship quality based on his last few games.

He has never looked that good

• Like 3

Midfield is non existent because it's full of defensive players...you asking target and Guilbert to be attack minded when all they want to do is defend and do the occasional bomb on.

This causes issue as you effectively now playing 5 at the back and are inviting the other team to attack...been happening all season...why would anyone expect anything else 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

1-0 flatters us.

That's among the biggest piles of shit I've had to endure over the last few years. Completely played off the park by another club at the bottom.

Worst team at home, but as expected, we accommodate again.

The sentiment is true, but they're hardly at the bottom ffs

3 at the back only works if your centre backs are competent. Mings is carrying two average championship defenders in Hause and Konsa. They are mentally 3 yards off the pace with woeful reaction times and positional sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Also AEG is just a pussy. Had enough of him tbh. Would rather watch Trez tripping over the ball, at least he puts his heart into it.

I said that in September already. It was clear as day. He's the type of player you get relegated with. No fight primadonna. And that's before you even discuss his obvious defensive shitness. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Makes no sense. Our issues are for the most part about 1) not being at the races 2) not having good enough players 3) defending

First point he's already at fault at since his hte ass. coach. Second point we can't do anything about. Third point he is comically responsible (at least as much as Smith in my book).

We just got to grind this out. Football sucks when it's hairy, but we knew this was the season we walked into. 

Despite, us all knowing it wasn't going to be a walk in the park........No one expected to concede 52 goals in 27 games.....that is bloody scandalous, in its own right.

If the players are not good enough?, we bought them.

Same old problem...conceding shots at a rate of knots. Should beat our average at this rate.

Hause just really not up to it, I'm sad to say. Konsa not far behind him. Nakamba and Luiz has to be the weakest central mid pairing in the league.

El Ghazi is a disgrace. Just didn't fancy it. We've seen it before from him. He actually looked quite reasonable when he had the ball too.

Just now, stewiek2 said:

3 at the back only works if your centre backs are competent. Mings is carrying two average championship defenders in Hause and Konsa. They are mentally 3 yards off the pace with woeful reaction times and positional sense.

Yup.

We are forfeiting a whole lot while gaining precious little

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

But we were 13th and couldn’t buy a win until Jack came back from injury...

We had arguably the best team in the league.

Tammy, McGinn, Grealish, El Ghazi, Tuanzebe and later Mings. 

We were heavily under performing. Any manager would have improved us. He got us 5th and beat Baggies and Derby in the Play Offs. Decent achievement but nothing out of the ordinary. Not with the squad we had.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

yea and AEG got concussion mate so we cant have a go at him. LOL patethic

Indeed it is, our player Ghazi should be ashamed, I've had enough of him now, he played better when he wondered if he ever was going to get a full contract.

I think it shows Southampton players mentality over ours, there guts and love for what they do, where we look oblivious to the fact were in serious trouble here and we need to sort it.

I'm still convinced that the reason we concede more goals and allow more shots than just about anybody isn't to do with how well or badly we defend, it's to do with how often - and that's all down to how badly we keep the ball and how much of our football we play on the edge of our own box.

• Like 2