Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

It’s how badly we play that’s the worst bit

Norwich are bottom but are much better to watch

They lack quality but at least they seem to know what they are doing

That's the problem when you throw a squad together where there's no experience hardly at this level, they certainly havnt had any seasons together.

All that isn't helped by a Coach who is constantly playing Wingers where none of our Wingers are quality, crosses hit the first man or they go way over.

You really couldn't make this Sh!t up...

Edited by Dave-R

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Awful. Individually, collectively and tactically.

With three centrebacks, your wing backs are supposed to join your midfield - they're not doing that for two reason, firstly only Targett is getting forward and secondly because that midfield isn't there.

Luiz for me is having an absolutely appalling game - he's playing twenty yards too deep, which means we have three centre backs, two full backs and two midfielders playing on the centrebacks toes - it's a back seven - it doesn't defend well because there are too many of them and then because there are only three other players, we can't get out or keep the ball, which means we defend all the time.

We either need to abandon the three in the middle or grow a pair and find a midfielder with the balls to play in midfield. There's absolutely nothing there.

It's unfortunate that all of the sensible changes to this have been taken away from us because El Ghazi is injured and we've already made on sub - I'd be in favour of taking off Trezeguet and bringing on Baston with Grealish through the middle - it'd give us an "out" ball and someone in the middle of the park - I'd be in favour of removing a centre back for Hourihane so that we've got something in the middle - I'd be in favour of bringing on Elmo for a centre back and playing him on the right hand side of midfield so that Jack can go central and we can have something in the middle of the park.

At the moment we're play a 7-0-3 formation and the three may as well not be there - it's simply not working.

That's without the hatful of individual errors, half heartedness and lack of cohesion.

We need to have periods of the game where we have the ball - and by we, I don't mean Konsa and Hause - other teams have midfields that do that job - ours needs someone like Mings to kicks them forward ten or fifteen yards to where they should be.

At the moment this is diabolical. The only thing in our favour is that the scoreline doesn't reflect that; if it stays 1-0 beyond the first five minutes of the second half, anything could happen.

Great post

Been saying the same all year.. theres no midfield just defenders and attackers...only difference early in the season was we had mcginn so it was a 6 - 0 - 4 formation

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

e literally can't have a good day, Southampton have a gameplan and it's working.

They've done well to keep him quiet. Not often you'll see him put a cross behind and high from a position like that though. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

e literally can't have a good day, Southampton have a gameplan and it's working.

Ah, a good old gameplan 

If only we had one, I literally have no idea what we are actually trying to do here

At this rate i just want to rip it up and start again. Jack will get his big move that he deserves. We'll likely go down. We've got it horribly wrong with recruitment. We'll ship most of them out hopefully. Suso to be sacked. New manager next season, with an emphasis an good young british talent. Integrate Ramsey and O'Hare.