Match Thread: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Just now, TRO said:

Despite, us all knowing it wasn't going to be a walk in the park........No one expected to concede 52 goals in 27 games.....that is bloody scandalous, in its own right.

If the players are not good enough?, we bought them.

I really don't get about goals conceeded. I'd rather concede a lot and score a lot than vice versa. I've wanted that football in this club for a long time. What's key for me is the goal of the season which is survival, and we knew it would be a battle. Which it's proven to be. 

I'm not happy with this, but we knew this summer this is what we had ahead of us. Anyone believing we'd walk survival just aren't awake. 

• Like 1

Very poor.

Its clear to all our “ beat the press” tactic is wrong for this game. Has to stop second half.

More specifically it was very disappointing to see Mings needing to bawl out the Coaching staff for 

(1) being so slow to attend to El Gazi

then even worse 

(2) not having Trez warming up ready.

Basic in game management lacking again I’m afraid.

Lijewise, although I rarely see much point criticising specific tactics it must be saidour use of throw ins is very poor. It’s a pretty basic part of the game to steal a few in a row down the line, whereas we are putting ourselves needlessly under pressure playing in field.

When you add to that Reina making poor decisions AND kicking poorly, a featherlight midfield of Luiz ( who has not developed a defensive game at all since Spurs Away on Day 1, when he was weak) and an oddly timid Nakamba, it makes for a grim first half.

Thank God for Mings.

The responsibility for correcting most of that is on the Coach.

He needs to make a significant contribution very quickly.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What happened with him?

He was never good enough TBH, very much a powder puff player though. Jack looked pissed off at him for nancying around on the edge of the pitch. Kevin Richardson would never have done that.

2 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Same old problem...conceding shots at a rate of knots. Should beat our average at this rate.

Hause just really not up to it, I'm sad to say. Konsa not far behind him. Nakamba and Luiz has to be the weakest central mid pairing in the league.

El Ghazi is a disgrace. Just didn't fancy it. We've seen it before from him. He actually looked quite reasonable when he had the ball too.

The elbow to his eye socket may have influenced him going off, he was our only outlet before the elbow.

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Awful. Individually, collectively and tactically.

With three centrebacks, your wing backs are supposed to join your midfield - they're not doing that for two reason, firstly only Targett is getting forward and secondly because that midfield isn't there.

Luiz for me is having an absolutely appalling game - he's playing twenty yards too deep, which means we have three centre backs, two full backs and two midfielders playing on the centrebacks toes - it's a back seven - it doesn't defend well because there are too many of them and then because there are only three other players, we can't get out or keep the ball, which means we defend all the time.

We either need to abandon the three in the middle or grow a pair and find a midfielder with the balls to play in midfield. There's absolutely nothing there.

It's unfortunate that all of the sensible changes to this have been taken away from us because El Ghazi is injured and we've already made on sub - I'd be in favour of taking off Trezeguet and bringing on Baston with Grealish through the middle - it'd give us an "out" ball and someone in the middle of the park - I'd be in favour of removing a centre back for Hourihane so that we've got something in the middle - I'd be in favour of bringing on Elmo for a centre back and playing him on the right hand side of midfield so that Jack can go central and we can have something in the middle of the park.

At the moment we're play a 7-0-3 formation and the three may as well not be there - it's simply not working.

That's without the hatful of individual errors, half heartedness and lack of cohesion.

We need to have periods of the game where we have the ball - and by we, I don't mean Konsa and Hause - other teams have midfields that do that job - ours needs someone like Mings to kicks them forward ten or fifteen yards to where they should be.

At the moment this is diabolical. The only thing in our favour is that the scoreline doesn't reflect that; if it stays 1-0 beyond the first five minutes of the second half, anything could happen.

The midfield has been the source of our problem for some time....we failed in Jan to remedy that.

but we don't defend .......we retreat in to defensive positions, but i get what you mean.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

" Villa have created a lot of their own problems so far, with passes going astray and tackles being missed. "

The Aston Villa Social media team aren't pleased either.

Although this summarises 80 - 90 percent of our matches ffs.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" Villa have created a lot of their own problems so far, with passes going astray and tackles being missed. "

The Aston Villa Social media team aren't pleased either.

Although this summarises 80 - 90 percent of our matches ffs.

That’s been us in a nutshell in the PL

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Awful. Individually, collectively and tactically.

With three centrebacks, your wing backs are supposed to join your midfield - they're not doing that for two reason, firstly only Targett is getting forward and secondly because that midfield isn't there.

Luiz for me is having an absolutely appalling game - he's playing twenty yards too deep, which means we have three centre backs, two full backs and two midfielders playing on the centrebacks toes - it's a back seven - it doesn't defend well because there are too many of them and then because there are only three other players, we can't get out or keep the ball, which means we defend all the time.

We either need to abandon the three in the middle or grow a pair and find a midfielder with the balls to play in midfield. There's absolutely nothing there.

It's unfortunate that all of the sensible changes to this have been taken away from us because El Ghazi is injured and we've already made on sub - I'd be in favour of taking off Trezeguet and bringing on Baston with Grealish through the middle - it'd give us an "out" ball and someone in the middle of the park - I'd be in favour of removing a centre back for Hourihane so that we've got something in the middle - I'd be in favour of bringing on Elmo for a centre back and playing him on the right hand side of midfield so that Jack can go central and we can have something in the middle of the park.

At the moment we're play a 7-0-3 formation and the three may as well not be there - it's simply not working.

That's without the hatful of individual errors, half heartedness and lack of cohesion.

We need to have periods of the game where we have the ball - and by we, I don't mean Konsa and Hause - other teams have midfields that do that job - ours needs someone like Mings to kicks them forward ten or fifteen yards to where they should be.

At the moment this is diabolical. The only thing in our favour is that the scoreline doesn't reflect that; if it stays 1-0 beyond the first five minutes of the second half, anything could happen.

Great post.

Its on the Coach, for better or worse, this half.

• Like 2

My take was he took a pretty innocuous looking hit to the head and was lying off the pitch. We are waiting to take a corner, AEG rolls a good 3 metres back onto the pitch so we can't take our corner. Mings runs over not very happy and seems to be telling him to get up or roll off. He is getting treatment and Grealish comes over pretty much begging him to get off the pitch. At this point he is getting treatment literally straddling the line, but it takes him a few minutes to react to Grealish and budge himself the few inches so he is off the pitch. Weird.

Edit: This was obv supposed to be replying to someone to asked what had happened with Anwar.

Edited by Smartin

Absolute dog shite...they look like they've never played together before. So many average nothing players in that team and the formation with 3 centre backs should mean we are hard to break down but instead we've been gifting chances so he needs to change it!

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not going after the second balls, and allowing bounces to go to Southampton players is one of the main issues right now!

They are outfighting, pressing etc totally!

It's been an issue all season. You can guarantee we wont ever win the ball when it's scrappy and bobbling around. Drives me mad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm still convinced that the reason we concede more goals and allow more shots than just about anybody isn't to do with how well or badly we defend, it's to do with how often - and that's all down to how badly we keep the ball and how much of our football we play on the edge of our own box.

The players are limited, better suited to counter attack direct football like we had under MON

The way Smith plays reminds of when Lambert went all weird at the end of his tenure and decided passing it about was a good idea 🤣

• Like 1