Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

That's a stunning deal for us for a kid that needs to do a lot before he is capable of playing PL football let alone top 6. He is good on the ball but I saw little from him without the ball in his limited game time for us or for the u-19s. 

Personally, I hope we don't collect any more transfer fee. I would rather he doesn't make it and we are over the moon with 10-15m than he smashes it and we get an extra 5-10m.

35 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s a £10m fee we receive now and another £10m if he breaks into the Chelsea first team.

I’m not complaining, it’s much better to get £10m in now than lose him for nothing in 12 months, especially when he’s not going to make much of an impact on the first team in that time. 

I was more questioning whether the gushing over Purslow was really so justified. The fee was more than Milan and Barcelona were offering (which is why we went with Chelsea’s offer) but he was also a very hot prospect who was the subject of a bidding war. 

I think it’s probably overegging it a bit to call it a “bidding war”.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hiney said:

20m for a prospect with a handful of premier league appearances in which he hasn't exactly set the world on fire. Football has officially gone mad. 

He might go on to be a world beater and 20m will seem like peanuts in the future but history would suggest there's more chance of his career going the other way.

We’ve all done it in Football Manager…

Made another profile at a rich club just to buy all of our offcasts at inflated prices…

Didnt realise Purslow knew how to do it in real life…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Steero113 said:

2016 wasn't two years ago bud sorry Captain America. 

Incorrect. 2020, 2021 and 2022 weren't real years and also some other math.

Really thought we'd signed him when the current regime came in tbh.

Edited by YouUnastanFren

It doesn't seem a very logical choice for the lad.

If he was frustrated at not getting enough time on the pitch at Villa, then it seems unlikely he'll get more time at Chelsea.

Dortmond seemed like his best option because the league is less competitive and the club has built a reputation for developing young players.

Let's hope the fleshpots of the capital don't prove too much of a distraction, and Villa can get the reported £20m.

Disappointing but it always looked inevitable.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

21 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

New Chelsea owners have lost the plot, they are willingly over paying for players who have yet to prove that form is temporary class is permanent.

i don't think they are overpaying 

and with him being english and inevitably going to play for the U21s if they cut their losses in 2 or 3 years they'll recover the £20m, its completely risk free for chelsea IMO

• Like 1

out of interest for those who think they've overpaid, how much do you think Ramsey is worth?

I'd put him in the £30 - 40m range personally at 21

and I think chuk will be at least as good as him, hence I don't think they have overpaid

It’s a good investment for Chelsea, if we’re all honest. He’s got masses of potential and is a very highly rated English player. £20m seems a lot for someone that’s barely broken into our first team, but they’re paying for what he might become. A calculated risk, worth taking. We’d be buzzing if we’d done the same for an equivalent Chelsea player.

3 hours ago, Villastine said:

I think more could have been done more earlier to get him to sign. 

That means a better contract offer earlier and guarantees around game time. 

The £15m isn't a huge achievement as we'd likely of got that in compensation if he was staying in England. 

Anyway I'm just disappointed to see us lose one of the best young players in Europe.

We've lots more talent coming through 

By all accounts he was offered a very lucrative contract as soon as he was eligible. He didnt want it.

Guarantees of playing time?? **** that! You earn your place on the pitch, the same as everybody else. He had plenty of chances to make himself undroppable and don't take them, which is fine because he's young and no one should expect too much. He'd have had more chances this year. He didn't want that, so we got £20m for him. We'd have got nowhere near that through a tribunal. Very smart business. 

For what it's worth I've never been that sold on him being a guaranteed superstar. He's so physically ahead of most kids his age, which is a massive help in kids football. It does you no good in the step up to men's football though. He's got a long way to go and I wonder if he'll have the drive a top player needs now he's got a six year bumper contract and is set for life. 

Edited by blunther
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

out of interest for those who think they've overpaid, how much do you think Ramsey is worth?

I'd put him in the £30 - 40m range personally at 21

and I think chuk will be at least as good as him, hence I don't think they have overpaid

I dont think he will be persinally. I think JJs the better player

• Like 1

£20m for a kid who, when given his chances, didn't exactly stand out too much ?

Thank you very much ! We could even retire his shirt 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Villastine said:

I think more could have been done more earlier to get him to sign. 

That means a better contract offer earlier and guarantees around game time. 

The £15m isn't a huge achievement as we'd likely of got that in compensation if he was staying in England. 

Anyway I'm just disappointed to see us lose one of the best young players in Europe.

We've lots more talent coming through 

So like the rest of us, I’m guessing you have no idea what has or hasn’t been done by the club, but you think more could have been done. Okay, cool.

• Like 2

I do think he'll do better there then he would with us weirdly. In a team who can dominate the ball and are inevitably up against weaker opposition he will get more opportunity to show his ball carrying/attacking ability with better players feeding him the ball. 

I can see more of those Burnley away style cameos where he comes on against tired legs at 2-0 and he's getting some assists, goals late on. He's a million miles away from starting games, Tuchel takes no prisoners with players with the tactical side but he'll probably be more willing to embrace that side of the game because he's at Chelsea and not Villa.

Not just saying it cos he's leaving but he genuinely doesn't look ready for Premier League football to me. Though, he's obviously too good for youth level football. So it will be interesting to see what happens at Chelsea. Would imagine a loan move out will happen pretty swiftly. 

15 hours ago, Nicho said:

Along with Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Trevor Chalobah and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

However the following also came through the academy and didnt:

Tammy Abraham

Marc Guehi

Tariq Lampety

Armando Broja

Fikayo Tomori

Tino Livramento

Connor Gallagher

I know the timelines dont quite match up but the point is its very hard to make it at Chelsea and even if you are good enough you may still get sold as a way to make funds for "bigger" signings.

I think its a stupid decision and not against him personally I hope he fails so that the long list of highly rated players still in our academy see that the grass isnt greener, you have to earn the big move first. 

Don't other clubs have similar stats? If I look at us, we've managed to get through Jack and Ramsey. Our record isn't great. 

My preference is that he had stayed with us, just trying to offer another perspective.

Chelseas record at bringing through players into the first team may not be great, I think it's probably comparable with other top 4 clubs. Chelsea are also pretty good at supporting players through an effective loan system that helps them make it in professional football. You can see that from the players you've listed above.

37 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

It’s a good investment for Chelsea, if we’re all honest. He’s got masses of potential and is a very highly rated English player. £20m seems a lot for someone that’s barely broken into our first team, but they’re paying for what he might become. A calculated risk, worth taking. We’d be buzzing if we’d done the same for an equivalent Chelsea player.

Until we saw him play in our first team. Then fans would be going nuts about us spending 20m on him!

Its peanuts to Chelsea though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â