Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

To be fair the players we're linked with aren't really exciting. I can see why people aren't bothering to spam this thread. 

Wilson as our new signing is a bit like dreaming about a new car and ending up with a 5 year old VW Passat.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Assumes there are clubs wanting to loan the types of player we're after though. Loans aren't that common for players capable of delivering in the PL. Maybe the current market has made it more likely, but surely the loan route would be a last resort if the players we want to sign aren't gettable. International break may have put a hold on some things, we may be in the 5th round of negotiations for some players. 

There'll come a time when we have to bite the bullet on something,  and loans may be the option when that time comes. 

My point is that if option a or b aren’t available don’t go to option c, go for loan or pay remind but don’t waste money on the likes of Wilson.

( if Wilson is option a or b then we have deeper issues)

Edited by nick76

31 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm fully into the buying proven English league players. I also advocated that last summer and I think the club burned themselves by so many foreign shite signings failing to turn up.

BUT it's slightly disheartening to be linked to Callum Wilson. He would undoubtedly improve us, but so would so many others. It's a global sport and so many good players. Where the hell are out scouts?

I know it's only rumours so far, but Percy tends to know his stuff?

The last time we bought proven English players on long contracts on big wages made the club spiral into a 10 year obese. 

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

The last time we bought proven English players on long contracts on big wages made the club spiral into a 10 year obese

I don’t know what fat kids have to do with it, but spiralling into them cannot be right !

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To be fair the players we're linked with aren't really exciting. I can see why people aren't bothering to spam this thread. 

Wilson as our new signing is a bit like dreaming about a new car and ending up with a 5 year old VW Passat.

I drive a 5 year old Passat and it might not turn many heads but it’s certainly reliable, and after some time you learn to love it. 

(P.S. I genuinely drive a 5 year old Passat, a white one.)

36 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hi folks. Had a really shit day at work, been nowhere near any news. Would anyone kindly summarise todays events? It seems something might have happened?

Nothing that moves the narrative forward.

Percy reckons we have bid £20m for Wilson and are close to Matty Cash for £16m and Romero for £8m plus add ons.

25 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Come on its hardly that difficult.  Less than 1 in 2 in the Championship.  Lewis Grabbon got 20 goals last season.  Troy Deeley will probably get close to 20 next season.

I think there is potentially a top striker in Davis if he can get a run of games and keep injury free.

He doesn’t score goals mate, can’t see him coming even close to double figures. Would need a few seasons at a lower level to develop, certainly not a PL player and I’d be very disappointed if he ends up getting minutes for us this season (meaning we failed to strengthen).

He has decent attributes but a striker has to be able to score and he doesn’t possess that ability (yet). He needs a couple of seasons in the championship and then we can see what he’s really made of.

As I stated earlier, we can’t afford to be sentimental. We need top quality and reliability if we really want to progress and compete at this level. We barely survived and  need major improvement & enhancement.

Again, no passengers.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

I agree with this whole heartedly, and agree we only need to improve incrementally as phase 2 of the project.

One point I would raise though, we are apparently close to Cash (£16m), Romero (£8m), we have allegedly offered on Wilson (£20m) and seem close to closing Watkins at £25m. Thats basically £70m. These players strengthen the squad but wont improve our first 11 significantly and certainly carry a risk. Thats raises my eyebrows for an outlay of £70m and who know,  maybe 70% of our budget this window. It looks like Wilson means no Edouard, but I really do hope we do get either Benrahma, Rashica or Buendia, and maybe another solid CM (whilst I like Swift he is a risk). This is also some departure from the 'Premier League Experience' we were alllegedly missing last season, and looking for this window.

I felt Benrahma, Rashica (or Sarr) and Edouard or Watkins as a 3 improved us significantly and was a definite upgrade on AEG, Trez and Samatta. It could of course still happen.

We need another player who can do something with the ball at his feet to lift the pressure off Jack. 

4 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Doucoure to Everton for £25m.

Thats the 3rd midfielder they have signed.

I would match them for that price

Everton are signing some damn good players. Getting 4 points off them next season won't be as easy, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He doesn’t score goals mate, can’t see him coming even close to double figures. Would need a few seasons at a lower level to develop, certainly not a PL player and I’d be very disappointed if he ends up getting minutes for us this season (meaning we failed to strengthen).

He has decent attributes but a striker has to be able to score and he doesn’t possess that ability (yet). He needs a couple of seasons in the championship and then we can see what he’s really made of.

As I stated earlier, we can’t afford to be sentimental. We need top quality and reliability if we really want to progress and compete at this level. We barely survived and  need major improvement & enhancement.

Again, no passengers.

He was doing well with his argument until he mentioned davis being able to score goals which then drowned all his credentials. Davis , Wesley and samatta cannot be starting any game for us.. Wesley perhaps for cup competitions but we need a proper firing striker.