Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, MJ_1874 said:

I was a bit underwhelmed but the more I think of it, the more I like it.  If we can get him for £15m plus some add ons he is proven premier league striker and we need depth.

His stats show he might of been a bit unlucky last season and typically scores or assists every one in two games.

Samatta is not good enough and should be sold/loaned out.

Wesley may be given more time.

Davis actually was unlucky and should have got a couple of goals according to expected goals.  He also had 3.25 shot creating actions per 90 which is really good.  I think he needs a season on loan in the championship to play regularly and score 20 goals and then he will be ready.

If we go into the start of the season with Wilson, Watkins and Wesley as our strikers it is a massive upgrade on last year.

Coming To America Bar GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We just seem now to be going for our 3rd choice options.  Like a kid with all his Christmas money but can’t go to the shop he wants but determined to spend the money whatever shop he ends up in.

Maybe that isn't far away from the truth. But wots the alternative ? - hope that Wesley and Samatta come good ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

They created as many scoreable chances as us so your argument doesn’t stand up.  You haven’t answered the question 

Did they create them all for him? They're are so many variables that this argument makes no sense. 

They got relegated, we didn't. Because of that we will get better. Wilson scored 8 goals last year. Is it really crazy to think he could get 2 more in a better team?

30 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Our current fit strikers scored 1 goal between then in nearly half a season  

Wilson could get double figures in this villa team. 

I think people need to get it into their heads that we aren't jumping to top 6 next year. We need to move up a few places and be safe earlier. That's it. 

The signings being made will help us achieve that imo.

I agree with this whole heartedly, and agree we only need to improve incrementally as phase 2 of the project.

One point I would raise though, we are apparently close to Cash (£16m), Romero (£8m), we have allegedly offered on Wilson (£20m) and seem close to closing Watkins at £25m. Thats basically £70m. These players strengthen the squad but wont improve our first 11 significantly and certainly carry a risk. Thats raises my eyebrows for an outlay of £70m and who know,  maybe 70% of our budget this window. It looks like Wilson means no Edouard, but I really do hope we do get either Benrahma, Rashica or Buendia, and maybe another solid CM (whilst I like Swift he is a risk). This is also some departure from the 'Premier League Experience' we were alllegedly missing last season, and looking for this window.

I felt Benrahma, Rashica (or Sarr) and Edouard or Watkins as a 3 improved us significantly and was a definite upgrade on AEG, Trez and Samatta. It could of course still happen.

Edited by thunderball

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Interesting. Who were our 1st and 2nd choice RB targets?

I meant with the likes of Wilson but arguably Max Aarons we were linked with early transfer window then Trippier, and that’s just off the top of my head.  Yes you can’t believe all media but sometimes there is smoke.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah would’ve much preferred Martinez, if he was gettable, as a good long term option.

At least Romero would be an upgrade on Nyland, Steer & Kalinic.

I would be looking to sell Nyland & Kalinic for any fee, even a free if we bring a keeper in.

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Apparently, Brentford want 7m for Rico Henry. That’s someone I’d like to see at Villa, especially at that price. Definitely an upgrade on Taylor. 

yet, Brighton are in for him

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

That is a good price for him considering how much of an upgrade it would be on taylor who shouldn't be difficult to ship out to a newly promoted team or more likely a championship team

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Maybe that isn't far away from the truth. But wots the alternative ? - hope that Wesley and Samatta come good ?

Waste cash is not the alternative though is it?  You either have a choice of paying way over the top for players you want or don’t spend the cash and get in some loans until you get the players you want.

Imagine not spending all that cash on average players and get 3 or 4 quality loan signings, move up the league and then spend next season when are better placed.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed but not for free, we should be able to get modest fees for them.

I do think we should be able to get a couple of million BUT if we can't we should get rid of them on free's at the end of the day if they aren't sold we would have to pay the wages which the modest fee's would probably add up to over a years contract.

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Agreed but not for free, we should be able to get modest fees for them.

Ideally, I'd agree with you. But I think we'll eventually admit defeat in trying to get real money for them and settle for their salaries (possibly massive wages in LK's case) being removed from the wage bill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJ_1874 said:

I was a bit underwhelmed but the more I think of it, the more I like it.  If we can get him for £15m plus some add ons he is proven premier league striker and we need depth.

His stats show he might of been a bit unlucky last season and typically scores or assists every one in two games.

Samatta is not good enough and should be sold/loaned out.

Wesley may be given more time.

Davis actually was unlucky and should have got a couple of goals according to expected goals.  He also had 3.25 shot creating actions per 90 which is really good.  I think he needs a season on loan in the championship to play regularly and score 20 goals and then he will be ready.

If we go into the start of the season with Wilson, Watkins and Wesley as our strikers it is a massive upgrade on last year.

Having high xG with no goals means he can't finish rather than being unlucky.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

The alternative is a loan or spending all that money on wide forwards who will create more for Wesley and Samata and contribute more than the existing wide forwards did last season.

Lets not forget people on here are saying if a striker that is ok he scores 10 goals then Wesley probably would have done that if he was fit for the other half of the season.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Our strikers scored 6 goals. ****

Wilson, watkins and wesley could get over 20 next year quite easily. 

That has to make a difference to our points total.

*** = Our main striker got injured. That could easily be a figure of 12 goals +

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Our strikers scored 6 goals. 

Could or could not!  £48m to test it out is a big gamble!

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Our strikers scored 6 goals. 

You will get that from just signing one of those you don't need both taking vital funds from other parts of the 11

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

You would have thought it wouldn’t be that difficult to sign Aarons and Buendia from Norwich....

Both signings we should make, no reported bids 

They have a squad full of talented young players but no club has managed to sign a single one of them as yet. Perhaps they are going to fight hard to keep the squad together and have another crack at the Premier League?