Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Waste cash is not the alternative though is it?  You either have a choice of paying way over the top for players you want or don’t spend the cash and get in some loans until you get the players you want.

Imagine not spending all that cash on average players and get 3 or 4 quality loan signings, move up the league and then spend next season when are better placed.

I agree - but would we get quality loans though ?? - then if they hit - would the owning club want to sell.

I don't want to sound flippant about the money spent - but so long as we don't get relegated the TV money alone will more than cover it.....

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

You will get that from just signing one of those you don't need both taking vital funds from other parts of the 11

I think we need both. We made the mistake last year of putting all our eggs in one striker basket. 

Wes might not be fully back till Xmas, I don't want us to do that again. 

12 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Ideally, I'd agree with you. But I think we'll eventually admit defeat in trying to get real money for them and settle for their salaries (possibly massive wages in LK's case) being removed from the wage bill.

I wonder how many other sides have such a poor record with signings and struggling to offload overpaid, unwanted players... we must be one of the worst, ever.

The amount of wasted money just doesn’t bear thinking about does it?

I really hope those days are over and the players we bring in only improve us.

Obviously difficult to have a near perfect record but maybe we can do drastically better...

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Jareth said:

Take out Wesley's goals last season and it's 1 single goal scored, from our other two options up front. Wilson and Watkins will certainly do. 

Still think it's one or the other myself.

Just now, DCJonah said:

But what players wouldn't be a gamble? Not many clubs can buy proven premier league goal scorers. 

Don’t disagree but I think it’s Wilson and Watkins combo is high risk 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

They have a squad full of talented young players but no club has managed to sign a single one of them as yet. Perhaps they are going to fight hard to keep the squad together and have another crack at the Premier League?

Perhaps but you would have thought that the players want to leave for the Premier League and extra cash a new contract brings.

18 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Apparently, Brentford want 7m for Rico Henry. 

yet, Brighton are in for him

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

Brentford? ....7 million?   Must be one of the stewards!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I agree - but would we get quality loans though ?? - then if they hit - would the owning club want to sell.

I don't want to sound flippant about the money spent - but so long as we don't get relegated the TV money alone will more than cover it.....

Brewster can be loaned for a start.

13 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Apparently, Brentford want 7m for Rico Henry. That’s someone I’d like to see at Villa, especially at that price. Definitely an upgrade on Taylor. 

yet, Brighton are in for him

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

They would have quoted us 20m (as usual) though 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think we need both. We made the mistake last year of putting all our eggs in one striker basket. 

Wes might not be fully back till Xmas, I don't want us to do that again. 

They wouldn't be in one basket though in that scenario you would have one new striker in and Wesley will be available before Christmas, you would have extra cash to improve somewhere else in the 11 and still have the amazing duo of Samatta and Davis

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Still think it's one or the other myself.

Looks like a pressure tactic on Brentford - but I suppose if Wesley is out till half way, we need better than Samatta and Davis to be starter and back-up - so I think we could accomodate all 3 - and with watkins' versatility... 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Our strikers scored 6 goals. 

Wilson, watkins and wesley could get over 20 next year quite easily. 

That has to make a difference to our points total.

Unless we change systems there is 3420 minutes of game time to compete for for our strikers over 38 league games. Wilson played 2900 for Bournemouth last season and Wesley 1800 minutes for us. 

Guess Watkins could fill in on the flank to get minutes but hopefully that's not where we plan to play him. And of course Wesley played tons of more minutes than he should have over the games he played so having a fit in form player starting or coming on can only be good.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

We are a poor team, there are plenty of big teams over weighted with players and with Covid and financials or young quality coming through there must be loan options.  Then so what if we can’t buy, we’ll be in a higher league position to attract better players than now.

Re money, we’ll still be restrained by FFP.  Less now, more later if the players aren’t available.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spyro Tek said:

Having high xG with no goals means he can't finish rather than being unlucky.

Shame that your first like was for slating a current player but sadly its true.  Davis cannot finish.  He's got potential to be a good player, but if he doesn't learn to score (not even sure that can be taught), then being a worse Emile Heskey is not a great footballing cv.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

We are a poor team, there are plenty of big teams over weighted with players and with Covid and financials or young quality coming through there must be loan options.  Then so what if we can’t buy, we’ll be in a higher league position to attract better players than now.

Re money, we’ll still be restrained by FFP.  Less now, more later if the players aren’t available.

Assumes there are clubs wanting to loan the types of player we're after though. Loans aren't that common for players capable of delivering in the PL. Maybe the current market has made it more likely, but surely the loan route would be a last resort if the players we want to sign aren't gettable. International break may have put a hold on some things, we may be in the 5th round of negotiations for some players. 

There'll come a time when we have to bite the bullet on something,  and loans may be the option when that time comes. 

5 minutes ago, paul514 said:

They wouldn't be in one basket though in that scenario you would have one new striker in and Wesley will be available before Christmas, you would have extra cash to improve somewhere else in the 11 and still have the amazing duo of Samatta and Davis

I wanted 2 strikers as soon as the season ended. 

We have no idea what state wesley will be back in, he struggled previously. We'd be an injury away from relying on him again. 

I'm fully into the buying proven English league players. I also advocated that last summer and I think the club burned themselves by so many foreign shite signings failing to turn up.

BUT it's slightly disheartening to be linked to Callum Wilson. He would undoubtedly improve us, but so would so many others. It's a global sport and so many good players. Where the hell are out scouts?

I know it's only rumours so far, but Percy tends to know his stuff?