Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, Wes said:

An error on my part - I think I perhaps highlighted Purslow too much in my post to give the impression he is at the helm of this grand plan. Something better perhaps would have been "Smith and Purslow sound to be of a similar mind of the type of player they want in to the club. They're on the same page, for the most part."

I would agree with your points that the Manager should chose the profile of player he wants. From my untrained eye, this is the case at Villa. 

Going forward I expect the model to be:

• Smith tells Lange the profile of player he wants for which positions
  • Purslow tells Lange the financial availability for the coming window
  • Lange returns to Smith, given financial capability given by Purslow, a list of possible players. Smith chooses from there which to pursue.

It requires all three of them being on the same page and being able to execute the plan - which Suso couldn't do effectively.

That all said, I'm not sure that whole setup will entirely be put in place this summer due to when Lange arrived and the scouting that would have gone ahead up until now anyway.

If that is the case.....in theory it is feasible, knowing the traits of folk, i am to be convinced.....personalities can distort what is set out to be ideal.

we will see.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesn’t make sense as we are far into the window and as for cheap it sounds like we would be spending 25m for the pair.

£25m for the pair?? I thought Swift was only £6m.

13 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I dont read that as purslow buying players, just that they have a strategy. I'd assume dean is bought into that strategy as well as purslow brought him in and extended his contract.

Look....I have no idea what the strategy is and i am reluctant to speculate.

but i will say this.....if a CEO makes so many stipulations, what can and can't be done....he might as well sign the players himself.

i am just exercising my doubt and uncertainty of what is going on.

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

£25m for the pair?? I thought Swift was only £6m.

Nope we apparently thought 6m, they want at least 8m and Cash is likely to end up at 15m so we’ll be around 23m

In the highlight reels I've seen of Swift he reminds be quite a bit of Buendia, albeit he plays more centrally, he's someone who I've seen quite often referred to as one of the most underrated players in the championship. As it stands I think he'd get in our midfield three ahead of Hourihane, even if you were to insist on playing Grealish in central midfield, you could argue that Swift would start ahead of one of El Ghazi or Trezeguet out wide.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look....I have no idea what the strategy is and i am reluctant to speculate.

but i will say this.....if a CEO makes so many stipulations, what can and can't be done....he might as well sign the players himself.

i am just exercising my doubt and uncertainty of what is going on.

It's not clear to me if the CEO is making the stipulations or relaying them? Its interesting, I hadnt ever interpreted this as a problem, I just sort of assumed it happened at all modern clubs really.

11 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I don’t think those type of players are interested. It’s just a feeling but it’s not ludicrous to suggest seeing as we *just* survived..

Come on it's not that difficult if you scout well or seen as club on the up. Leicester signed Youri Tielemans when they were about 12th in January 2019. Leeds signed a first choice La Liga striker yesterday. Fulham got in Mitrovic when they were a championship club.

We will sign players but as it stands looks like another season for gambling on majority of signings being lower league punts, the thought of Watkins being out sole attacking signing seems like madness to me.

If you look back last summer our two best signings were Tom Heaton (over 100 starts in premier league for Burnley) and Douglas Luiz who'd featured in about 30 games for Girona in La Liga with many of them being starts.

Surely we should be focusing on getting in more regulars from the top 4 leagues rather than thinking Belgium or the championship are the answer all the time.

• Like 4

£8m for a Championship player entering the last year of his contract??

And £15m for Cash is weird.....Targett cost the same 12 months ago and I thought COVID had buggered finances of clubs outside the Prem.

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Or they could all just sit round a table together with a cuppa?

Which will be exactly how it's done.  A meeting (several) will be convened with all relevant parties and they settle together on what's needed and who to go for. It's never going to be a game of Chinese whispers up and down the chain. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

wow, didnt realise we are one of only 3 Prem teams to not have signed a single first team player yet (us, Manure, Leicester)

But apparently the market is not moving?

Those 2 finished safe.......we didn't.

8 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

It's not clear to me if the CEO is making the stipulations or relaying them? Its interesting, I hadnt ever interpreted this as a problem, I just sort of assumed it happened at all modern clubs really.

Whether he is making them or relaying them, he is CEO.....

He is having an affect on those that have to identify them.

why people so fearful that we are not singing anyone. compared to other teams. 

most of these teams are not even signing any players we’re interested in, let alone linked with. 

our goals are still available and we trying to get them. 

Just Relax Chill Out GIF

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1