Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, rayk said:

I’d be happy enough with Watkins, Cash maybe in the right set-up but Swift is really only a Hourihane replacement.

I dunno, they may all end being brill but having stayed up by the skin of our teeth .......they’re just not the players I think most of us were hoping for.

Still 4 and a half weeks mate, its the first signing. 

Give them a chance, things have only really taken off in the market this week (apart from the mercenaries at Stamford Bridge).

Edited by Steero113

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

That was the plan and likely still is, the issue with that plan is money doesn't solve the problem. No top player is going to come to a club that just scraped by relegation and has done nothing noteworthy since 1996.

This was always going to be a slow build and I am sure we are looking at players that are figuratively out of our league, but our place right now is likely as a club that buys highly rated players from the lower leagues until we finish Top 10 consistently.

Now we might sign a top player for £30-40m this window, but the likelihood is that to entice them we'll be paying them £150k a week cause they won't come otherwise. 

I agree to an extent..but i dont see us finishing in the top 10 anytime soon by developing players from the championship.

150k wages in the premier league isnt astronomical compared to top 10 teams wages..I mean im sure jack will want at least 100k to stay with us as a minimum..we cannot be paying championship wages and expect premier league quality..its a whole different ball game excuse the pun

Just now, OLDVILLAIN said:

I agree to an extent..but i dont see us finishing in the top 10 anytime soon by developing players from the championship.

150k wages in the premier league isnt astronomical compared to top 10 teams wages..I mean im sure jack will want at least 100k to stay with us as a minimum..we cannot be paying championship wages and expect premier league quality..its a whole different ball game excuse the pun

I agree, the wage structure has to give at some point if we are going to compete for proper statement signings... it seems to be the biggest mental block for the board at the moment.

• Like 2

It’s the type of signings Burnley have made and they have established themselves as a Premier League club. Is it where I want us to be? Not really.. but it takes time to build. Leeds are a different story altogether as they have a squad that doesn’t need to be ripped apart like we had to do. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

What happened to the "we have to sign serious players" to surround jack with quality to convince him that as a whole the management was serious about climbing the table?

Matty cash is just a half decent championship player who will struggle in the premiership for a while until he gets accustomed and will be a good backup player/benchwarmer/cup player

I cannot fathom why as a club we seem to be going backwards with alleged signings and approaches,Money should not be a problem for the players we want and need,10m for cash is just too much for Cash considering wolves sold  doherty to spuds for 15m

Looks shit mate 🙄🙄🙄

PSX_20200828_203433.jpg

12 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I have seen him play many times.in the championship..while he does have potential,he is untested in the premier league and will take time to settle

Yes but the difference between now and last summer is that he will have time to settle, baring injuries and won’t be thrown in at the deep end from day one, which a lot of our squad was last year. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 2

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

Yes but the difference between now and last summer is that he will have time to settle, baring injuries and won’t be thrown in at the deep end from day one, which a lot of our squad was. 

And, most importantly in my view, we will have ACTUAL competition for a position!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I'm calling it. First three signings to be confirmed next week in no particular order will be Emiliano Martinez (loan), Matty Cash and Ollie Watkins. Not ITK, just a hunch.

I'd be happy with that. Martinez with a pre agreed fee ideally. 

Right now I'm so desperate I'd probably get excited at us bringing Whelan out of retirement. 

23 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Well its certainly looking that way at the moment being linked to cash and swift..If you cant see that..well there you go.

'Linked'

10 minutes ago, rayk said:

I’d be happy enough with Watkins, Cash maybe in the right set-up but Swift is really only a Hourihane replacement.

I dunno, they may all end being brill but having stayed up by the skin of our teeth .......they’re just not the players I think most of us were hoping for.

Of course they weren't. They are all Championship players. I'd be fine with 1 or 2 absolute maximum from the Championship if it was felt they could make the step up, but we need to get more proven signings in as well.

And the two ones from the Championship we should have been going for over anyone else are Benrahma and Eze, we've already missed the boat with one who's ended up at Palace. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

15 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m all for getting a good deal but I get the feeling that Purslow is trying to be Daniel Levi MK2. Surely if after all the analysis we have identified a player that is worth in the region of £20m, we would be expecting him to be a very good player and therefore see his value increase. Add to that the value he would bring to the team with his performances, the difference between signing or not signing a quality player can be quite significant. 

I know we don’t want to be mugged and we are probably looking at this on the back of getting mugged a lot over the last few years, but neither do we want to get a reputation for low balling and other clubs not taking our approaches seriously. Negotiations are always a balancing act. If Purslow is any good he’ll understand this and make sure he gets on the right side of more deals than not. Otherwise the damage done could be extremely costly and considerably more than a million or two here or there. I know it’s easier said than done, but that’s a big part of his job. 

We either know a prospective player is going to be good enough or not.....we need people at the club who know that.....with reasonable confidence.

it seems to me the uncertainty has reached the financial people and on the basis of our recent history it has registered as indecisive.....and has affected negotiations.

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Looks shit mate 🙄🙄🙄

PSX_20200828_203433.jpg

I suggested Matty Cash on VillaTalk in 2016 mate.

He is now a very good player and fulfilled the early potential.

He's one of the best player's in championship now.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

show me those stats when he has played in the premier league and then i will talk about it.

I'll give you a comparison. In our 17/18 playoff season Grealish averaged 7.32 and many were claiming him to be good enough for the Premier league at that point. Matt Doherty at wolves averaged 7.12 in the championship, is the dog heads' first choice RB in the PL and of top flight standard. On the flip side Ryan Sessegnon only average 7.04 in the championship and ultimately struggled in the PL.

I would suggest Cash has a reasonable chance of stepping up based on that comparison. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I know we’re all desperate to get signings in, but I want us to get some players out. Henri, Kalinic, Hogan, Jota. 

Think Elmo will want to be playing ‘at this time in his career’ so, if we get Matty Cash, he’ll be off. 

will smith college GIF

Edited by CarryOnVilla

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I'll give you a comparison. In our 17/18 playoff season Grealish averaged 7.32 and many were claiming him to be good enough for the Premier league at that point. Matt Doherty at wolves averaged 7.12 in the championship, is the dog heads' first choice RB in the PL and of Premier league standard. On the flip side Ryan Sessegnon only average 7.04 in the championship and ultimately struggled in the PL.

I would suggest Cash has a reasonable chance of stepping up based on that comparison. 

@Made In Aston

he hasn't got a clue i wouldn't waste your time mate.

Absolutely no clue

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

We either know a prospective player is going to be good enough or not.....we need people at the club who know that.....with reasonable confidence.

it seems to me the uncertainty has reached the financial people and on the basis of our recent history it has registered as indecisive.....and has affected negotiations.

personally think the lack of activity is down to Lange doing a full assessment of what we already have and need, he's only just arrived and that's a lot of stats and numbers to crunch, once targets have been identified then it goes to the board for approval, doubt very much a budget of 100m as reported in the press has been mentioned at Villa and that switch of DOF is causing the delay.

• Like 1