Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

10 minutes ago, Wes said:

These are the First Team players we've bought in on permanent deals since Purslow has been in charge. I've only kept in those loans which became permanent deals. I've probably missed someone but I'm only human.

The number is their age at their time of signing.

• Heaton - Gk - 33
  • Kalinic - Gk - 28
  • Nyland - Gk - 27
  • Guilbert - D - 24
  • Mings - D - 26 (loan initially)
  • Hause - D - 23 (loan initially)
  • Targett - D - 23
  • Engels - D - 24
  • Douglas Luiz - M - 21
  • El Ghazi - M - 23 (loan initially)
  • Nakamba - M - 25
  • Trezeguet - M - 24
  • Jota - M - 28
  • Wesley - F - 22
  • Samatta - F - 27

*McGinn was 23 when he signed, but that was before Purslow arrived.

If you take out the Goalkeepers, which has been a problem for us for years, 8 out of all 12 (67%) of our outfield signings were 24 or under when they joined. If you remember Purslow's Interview with Smith after the Play-Off final, he stated:

• Didn't want to loan and develop other teams players for them,
  • Wanted to sign players who were only going to improve and increase in value,
  • Wanted players that showed hunger to improve and demonstrated quality already,
  • Had a great character and personality.

They used John McGinn as a text book example - although please note, I don't think they meant they meant "bargains", they were talking about all his positive traits which we as fans all know John has in abundance.

If the talk about Matty Cash is true, then he again would fit this profile to a tee. He's 23. Been one of the better young players in the Championship over the past season. You only need to go online to see how fondly he is spoken of by the Nottingham Forest supporters.

I think they want a group of similarly aged players who will grow, and develop together, with a few younger players with high possible potential (like Douglas Luiz and even Wesley) in and around them and some experienced heads alongside to boot (i.e. Heaton, Mings and the likes of Elmohamedy and Taylor too).

I'm not saying we're not going to never going to buy another player  born before 1995, but it's clear the club strategy has a preferred profile of player in mind for the majority of their targets. It's for this reason I'm not panicked at all by our lack of business thus far. This is the best evidence of a "plan" in place for many, many years.

The only problem i have with this is......and bare in mind its me and i am from an earlier generation.

That for me is the managers job, not a CEO.

I understand the type/ quality of player will cross boundaries with the financial people.....but for me, financial people are not qualified to tell the manager who he should and should not buy.

If they have no confidence in the manager they should deal with it.....not undermine his judgment.

I am not happy with what I am hearing.....if I have heard it right.

The ONLY reason to go for Cash or Swift first is because they’re the cheapest signings and the conventional thinking is you get these done first.

But why it’s taken us until now to bring in Cash I’m really not that sure.

9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree mate.  Watkins, Swift and Cash would be excellent squad additions.  All 3 are upgrades on the personnel currently occupying there preferred positions. 

Materially upgrade to spend 50m on these three, I’m not convinced.  We just avoided relegation and our upgrades aren’t materially better than what we have....may as well just throw the money out the car window.

Just now, rayk said:

The ONLY reason to go for Cash or Swift first is because they’re the cheapest signings and the conventional thinking is you get these done first.

Doesn’t make sense as we are far into the window and as for cheap it sounds like we would be spending 25m for the pair.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Doesn’t make sense as we are far into the window and as for cheap it sounds like we would be spending 25m for the pair.

Wouldn't worry what  rayk has  say @nick76

He talk's some real rubbish on VillaTalk.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

The only problem i have with this is......and bare in mind its me and i am from an earlier generation.

I understand the type/ quality of player will cross boundaries with the financial people.....but for me, financial people are not qualified to tell the manager who he should and should not buy.

If they have no confidence in the manager they should deal with it.....not undermine his judgment.

I dont read that as purslow buying players, just that they have a strategy. I'd assume dean is bought into that strategy as well as purslow brought him in and extended his contract.

3 minutes ago, rayk said:

I didn’t know there was a convention on the value of players and how that relates to the order in which you get them in. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

No, you always need to improve your current personnel!  Is Watkins not an improvement over any forward player we have?  Yes he is. 

Is Cash not an improvement over Elmo and Fred? I bet now he is. 

I can also bet that Swift will turn out to be more useful to us than Lansbury, Nakamba, and Hourihane. 

I disagree, we need players to go straight into the first team not just be good options as substitutes at 65 mins.

I said I’d be happy enough with Watkins (who would improve the first team) but Cash and Swift? Less sure about.

16 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Well the recent changes to the recruitment team would suggest that we weren’t very good at it last season, which not many would argue with and the hope is now that this new techno data approach will yield much better results. There are many reasons, which we’ve all gone over many times, why signings take time. That doesn’t mean that their is any uncertainty, but it must be acknowledged that there are a lot of new bods in behind the scenes and they will probably take time to get into the swing. 

We’ll know more over the next few weeks. Our board keep everything very tight and whilst that doesn’t help with speculation, the fact is we will probably only really know what’s going on more or less when it actually happens. 

Dave....thats fine, so shall we just keep our powder dry until our new people are in place....to make informed decisions.

In the meantime we have a new campaign to face.

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I didn’t know there was a convention on the value of players and how that relates to the order in which you get them in. 

Well you don’t spend £35m on Edouard only then to buy a player for £10m because that players value will go up to £15m-£20m.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

An error on my part - I think I perhaps highlighted Purslow too much in my post to give the impression he is at the helm of this grand plan. Something better perhaps would have been "Smith and Purslow sound to be of a similar mind of the type of player they want in to the club. They're on the same page, for the most part."

I would agree with your points that the Manager should chose the profile of player he wants. From my untrained eye, this is the case at Villa. 

Going forward I expect the model to be:

• Smith tells Lange the profile of player he wants for which positions
  • Purslow tells Lange the financial availability for the coming window
  • Lange returns to Smith, given financial capability given by Purslow, a list of possible players. Smith chooses from there which to pursue.

It requires all three of them being on the same page and being able to execute the plan - which Suso couldn't do effectively.

That all said, I'm not sure that whole setup will entirely be put in place this summer due to when Lange arrived and the scouting that would have gone ahead up until now anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I dont read that as purslow buying players, just that they have a strategy. I'd assume dean is bought into that strategy as well as purslow brought him in and extended his contract.

I am unsure about that......it might be an agenda they want us to believe.

I will reserve my judgment.

Just now, TRO said:

Dave....thats fine, so shall we just keep our powder dry until our new people are in place....to make informed decisions.

In the meantime we have a new campaign to face.

I know that no one is going to wait for us to get our act together, but that doesn’t change the fact that some of these lads have only been here for a couple of weeks. I don’t even think that this is a major factor, there are plenty of other reasons why the window seems unusually slow this time around. 

Just now, TRO said:

I am unsure about that......it might be an agenda they want us to believe.

I will reserve my judgment.

I'm not saying its Dean's first choice, just that a clear and apparent strategy is being executed, for him to stay and sign a new contract suggests to me that he understands the guidelines hes operating under and is supportive (as long as we get a couple from brentford).

2 minutes ago, Wes said:
  • Smith tells Lange the profile of player he wants for which positions
  • Purslow tells Lange the financial availability for the coming window
  • Lange returns to Smith, given financial capability given by Purslow, a list of possible players. Smith chooses from there which to pursue

Or they could all just sit round a table together with a cuppa?

• Like 1