Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

23 minutes ago, rayk said:

I’d be happy enough with Watkins, Cash maybe in the right set-up but Swift is really only a Hourihane replacement.

I dunno, they may all end being brill but having stayed up by the skin of our teeth .......they’re just not the players I think most of us were hoping for.

Realistically they are probably the best we could get. The only other option is to entice players Purley on big salaries with all the problems that brings.

These are the First Team players we've bought in on permanent deals since Purslow has been in charge. I've only kept in those loans which became permanent deals. I've probably missed someone but I'm only human.

The number is their age at their time of signing.

• Heaton - Gk - 33
  • Kalinic - Gk - 28
  • Nyland - Gk - 27
  • Guilbert - D - 24
  • Mings - D - 26 (loan initially)
  • Hause - D - 23 (loan initially)
  • Targett - D - 23
  • Engels - D - 24
  • Douglas Luiz - M - 21
  • El Ghazi - M - 23 (loan initially)
  • Nakamba - M - 25
  • Trezeguet - M - 24
  • Jota - M - 28
  • Wesley - F - 22
  • Samatta - F - 27

*McGinn was 23 when he signed, but that was before Purslow arrived.

If you take out the Goalkeepers, which has been a problem for us for years, 8 out of all 12 (67%) of our outfield signings were 24 or under when they joined. If you remember Purslow's Interview with Smith after the Play-Off final, he stated:

• Didn't want to loan and develop other teams players for them,
  • Wanted to sign players who were only going to improve and increase in value,
  • Wanted players that showed hunger to improve and demonstrated quality already,
  • Had a great character and personality.

They used John McGinn as a text book example - although please note, I don't think they meant they meant "bargains", they were talking about all his positive traits which we as fans all know John has in abundance.

If the talk about Matty Cash is true, then he again would fit this profile to a tee. He's 23. Been one of the better young players in the Championship over the past season. You only need to go online to see how fondly he is spoken of by the Nottingham Forest supporters.

I think they want a group of similarly aged players who will grow, and develop together, with a few younger players with high possible potential (like Douglas Luiz and even Wesley) in and around them and some experienced heads alongside to boot (i.e. Heaton, Mings and the likes of Elmohamedy and Taylor too).

I'm not saying we're not going to never going to buy another player  born before 1995, but it's clear the club strategy has a preferred profile of player in mind for the majority of their targets. It's for this reason I'm not panicked at all by our lack of business thus far. This is the best evidence of a "plan" in place for many, many years.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Daweii said:

That was the plan and likely still is, the issue with that plan is money doesn't solve the problem. No top player is going to come to a club that just scraped by relegation and has done nothing noteworthy since 1996.

This was always going to be a slow build and I am sure we are looking at players that are figuratively out of our league, but our place right now is likely as a club that buys highly rated players from the lower leagues until we finish Top 10 consistently.

Now we might sign a top player for £30-40m this window, but the likelihood is that to entice them we'll be paying them £150k a week cause they won't come otherwise. 

I agree that money on its own doesn't solve the problem....prudent signings do.

but some of the players that would get us higher up the league, would be baulked at by some fans......we are obsessed with talent and that can be expensive as well as inconsistent.....what it doesn't always give is effectiveness.....Dean for me has touched on an alternative approach since lockdown and i think it will be the making of him.

I am hoping going in to the new season, he see's the game since lockdown not before.

we may well have to bite the bullet to make the next step......remember the whole budget on Juan Pablo Angel.....it sometimes had to be made......but the crucial bit is, it has to work.......we are toying with huge money for debatable return.....we need to be more sure than we are......someone has to have conkers, for balls.....and go for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

personally think the lack of activity is down to Lange doing a full assessment of what we already have and need, he's only just arrived and that's a lot of stats and numbers to crunch, once targets have been identified then it goes to the board for approval, doubt very much a budget of 100m as reported in the press has been mentioned at Villa and that switch of DOF is causing the delay.

Could be...feasible.

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Swiifts a lot  better than Nakamba imo! squadies to start would offer a hell of lot offer more than Henri Lansbury!! Attitude and determination  too and won't be on 55k a week.

Exactly what we need.

Totally agree mate.  Watkins, Swift and Cash would be excellent squad additions.  All 3 are upgrades on the personnel currently occupying there preferred positions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

personally think the lack of activity is down to Lange doing a full assessment of what we already have and need, he's only just arrived and that's a lot of stats and numbers to crunch, once targets have been identified then it goes to the board for approval, doubt very much a budget of 100m as reported in the press has been mentioned at Villa and that switch of DOF is causing the delay.

That’s interesting but I don’t see Lange’s influences on Cash or Swift’s signings at all. I mean we have a whole team of data analysts who will have done all the work.

In fact I’m slightly disappointed we haven’t been linked to any Lange players.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

We either know a prospective player is going to be good enough or not.....we need people at the club who know that.....with reasonable confidence.

it seems to me the uncertainty has reached the financial people and on the basis of our recent history it has registered as indecisive.....and has affected negotiations.

Well the recent changes to the recruitment team would suggest that we weren’t very good at it last season, which not many would argue with and the hope is now that this new techno data approach will yield much better results. There are many reasons, which we’ve all gone over many times, why signings take time. That doesn’t mean that their is any uncertainty, but it must be acknowledged that there are a lot of new bods in behind the scenes and they will probably take time to get into the swing. 

We’ll know more over the next few weeks. Our board keep everything very tight and whilst that doesn’t help with speculation, the fact is we will probably only really know what’s going on more or less when it actually happens. 

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Totally agree mate.  Watkins, Swift and Cash would be excellent squad additions.  All 3 are upgrades on the personnel currently occupying there preferred positions. 

We don’t need to improve the ‘squad’ though, we need to improve the first team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Opening offers are supposed to be low. That's the point.

£10m for one of the best prospects in the Championship is an absolutely pointless bid. We know the asking price. He will go for the asking price. He is young English and tied down. Just pay the price ffs.

16 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I know we’re all desperate to get signings in, but I want us to get some players out. Henri, Kalinic, Hogan, Jota. 

Think Elmo will want to be playing ‘at this time in his career’ so, if we get Matty Cash, he’ll be off. 

Brucie + Elmo = £10m 😎

• Haha 2

Just now, rayk said:

We don’t need to improve the ‘squad’ though, we need to improve the first team.

No, you always need to improve your current personnel!  Is Watkins not an improvement over any forward player we have?  Yes he is. 

Is Cash not an improvement over Elmo and Fred? I bet now he is. 

I can also bet that Swift will turn out to be more useful to us than Lansbury, Nakamba, and Hourihane. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

£10m for one of the best prospects in the Championship is an absolutely pointless bid. We know the asking price. He will go for the asking price. He is young English and tied down. Just pay the price ffs.

I’m not sure you’re on board with this negotiation malarkey. 😀

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rayk said:

That’s interesting but I don’t see Lange’s influences on Cash or Swift’s signings at all. I mean we have a whole team of data analysts who will have done all the work.

In fact I’m slightly disappointed we haven’t been linked to any Lange players.

That's what I mean though, we cant pull the trigger till Lange has done the numbers and shown Deano the alternatives from his little black book.

8 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

our squad is thin bare, we are two injuries away from fielding Lansbury, and...
aint nobody got time for that GIF

just thinking about that makes me

barf GIF

and to think Lansbury actually started a couple of games last season.......