Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

20 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

I disagree. We ended the season strongly and looking solid with Hourihane, Luiz and McGinn as a three. Grealish is much more combative when he plays CM than Conor. 

I think Jack will want to play there because of the England opportunity. It will need McGinn to play a more disciplined role for sure - and I'm sure Jack will still play wing from time to time - but I would not be at all surprised if we start the season with that exact midfield. 

Completely agree fairly confident we will see Jack back in midfield next season would be amazed if he started on the left wing. He has openly stated it's the position he really dislikes most. He played (really well yes I agree) there out of necessity more than anything else no one else offered as much as him, if he starts there next season our recruitment has been a disaster during the transfer window. Jack as a No 8 with a decent front 3 ahead of him would see us scoring for fun against a lot of teams. He would never play left wing for manure or England.

• Like 1

Jack looked better at LW last season than at CM.

But... he only looked better there because we lacked quality on the wings without him there.

There were games when he played at CM where he was having to drop deep to receive the ball and then get forward to create centrally and out wide.

With Luiz running games from deep and some quality out wide it will allow Grealish to prosper in the middle.

A quality LW is required.

• Like 1

Some more potential young targets across Europe (Italy, England, Germany, Spain).  Combined stats for all < 25 showing defensive contribution (Adj DA 90).  DMs first. 

I am as surprised as anyone to see Marvelous making the list.  Definitely potential to be a good DM if he can continue to adjust to pace of premier league.  Billing is really high up and could be a good addition.

image.png.7ab13f3faaec90da9adc7745d86c8e6a.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Defenders now.  Gleison Bremer for Torino is a stand out performer and still only 23.  Could be a realistic target to strengthen the backline. 

Sam Bryan in the rb position and Tomori both  performed well and could potentially be signed for reasonable fees.

image.png.cf795d54b2fb3afaa6cf8cfbae5ba299.png

Edited by MJ_1874
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Completely agree fairly confident we will see Jack back in midfield next season would be amazed if he started on the left wing. He has openly stated it's the position he really dislikes most. He played (really well yes I agree) there out of necessity more than anything else no one else offered as much as him, if he starts there next season our recruitment has been a disaster during the transfer window. Jack as a No 8 with a decent front 3 ahead of him would see us scoring for fun against a lot of teams. He would never play left wing for manure or England.

The position he really dislikes most? No he hasn't. He did say in an interview with Carra/Nev that he prefers CM as he's a bit more involved.

He also said a few years back that he believed his natural position is on the left of a front three.

If his goals and assists are going up on the LW I'm sure he'd be more than happy to continue playing there.

Edited by Tom13

3 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Defenders now.  Gleison Bremer for Torini is a stand out performer and still only 23.  Could be a realistic target to strengthen the backline. 

Sam Bryan in the rb position and Tomori both  performed well and could potentially be signed for reasonable fees.

image.png.cf795d54b2fb3afaa6cf8cfbae5ba299.png

@MJ_1874Where do you get the stats from? 

Edited by Villan4Life

41 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The times are changing. If we want to realistically compete then we are going to need to repeatedly break our transfer record

Of course but wouldn't spend big on Edouard. £40 million WTF?!

17 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

Some more potential young targets across Europe (Italy, England, Germany, Spain).  Combined stats for all < 25 showing defensive contribution (Adj DA 90).  DMs first. 

I am as surprised as anyone to see Marvelous making the list.  Definitely potential to be a good DM if he can continue to adjust to pace of premier league.  Billing is really high up and could be a good addition.

Djibril Sow from Frankfurt is a cracking player. Used to play for my hometown club and we all saw his potential from the very first time he played for the first team.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The obsession about moving Grealish into central midfield is just nuts.

He plays out of his skin at the left wing and is accepted to be one of the very best attacking players in the league. Is essentially the talk of the league for 6 months straight. Is linked to a CL club for months due to his performances. Gets valued at £ 80 million due to it. Scores and produces chances and assist at a European top level. Recieves players player of the season award. Recieves fan's PotS award. Pretty much keeps us up by himself by his attacking displays. Yet people wanna move him into another role. 

Only on VT. 

But.... it’s not only on VT. I’ve seen fans all over the place saying they’d play Grealish centrally.

It’s a tough one to call. You talk like it’s a genuinely bad idea, which it isn’t.

Everything you’ve said rings true, but he was also moved out wide because all three of our wingers looked poor. One thing about Grealish is that he does often slow play down, and that’s not always what you want from a wide ‘forward’ (or whatever you want to call him).

For someone with the ‘key pass’ (etc etc) stats that he has, playing in a more central role is actually more fitting, as he could effect more of our play, and not just if we happen to attack down the one wing that he’s sat on.

One thing that Jack does well, but doesn’t do well enough often enough, in my opinion, is goals. That’s one thing you would usually expect from a player in a front 3. Of course there’s allowances made because he’s been playing in a poor team, but nevertheless, a potentially ‘World Class’ / £80m player should, in my opinion, grab a few more goals when playing in a wide forward role for as long as Jack did.

Just for arguments sake, if you were to plonk a Benrahma on the left, a Watkins through the middle and a Rashica on the right, it would be a pretty tantalising set-up to then have Luiz and McGinn in CM with Grealish in the Hourihane (or ‘Silva’, if you’re Man City) role. Deeper than the forwards, but given the most licence to roam forward to create and join attacks. 

Who’s to say he wouldn’t get all the plaudits still, as we’d hopefully then have players in forward roles that could actually finish the chances he creates.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, striker said:

Just wondering if the mooted interest in Watkins coming to Villa is for the wing positions rather than a striker?

Exactly, it's why i'm a bit more relaxed than some people by the signing.

Getting him doesn't mean we won't be after another striker, or a "bigger name".

I see Watkins as a "Forward/Wide Forward" and it will be handy to have his versatility.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MJ_1874 said:

That marvelous nakamba could be worth a look......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

Djibril Sow from Frankfurt is a cracking player. Used to play for my hometown club and we all saw his potential from the very first time he played for the first team.

I was about to pick him out of that list too. Good player.

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

But.... it’s not only on VT. I’ve seen fans all over the place saying they’d play Grealish centrally.

I would have understood it a year ago. I was one of those who thought he'd do better as a playmaking CM, mostly cause his directness and finishing never impressed me. But it's sometimes wise to admit you get it wrong and after his performances this season it would be crazy to stick to your guns about him playing another position. 

I don’t know how Jack could me any clearer in his interviews that he doesn’t like playing as a winger!!

He sees himself as an AM, and thinks playing as a winger has cost him a place in the England team that he’s desperate to play for.

He obviously took one for the team last season, but with a £100m to spend and Man Utd circling around him SURELY it makes sense for us to buy a couple of wingers (Benrahma and Beundia for me), and sandwich Jack in the middle to keep him happy?

For one, having those 3 attackers behind a goalscoring ST would cause havoc for most defenders and mean not ALL of the attacks would Go through Jack as they tend to now.

Now I hear the point about how solid would that make our midfield but the question for me is not should Jack play as AM, it’s more is SJM disciplined enough alongside Luiz OR do we need to play Marvelous or buy a DCM to play alongside Luiz instead.

I’m not trying to be controversial / genuine comment.

• Like 3

Jelavic was the last big name SPL striker to come down to premier league unless I've forgotten a more recent one

Think we were linked with him at one stage. Had a mad scoring run in first 15 games at Everton but then the goals dried up.

Scored 8 league goals for Hull when they were relegated in 14/15.

Just now, rayk said:

I don’t know how Jack could me any clearer in his interviews that he doesn’t like playing as a winger!!

Even if he holds a left winger position for us, he's not exactly a winger when he plays is he? I'm not up to date on what his style is called these days, but the degree he drifts almost in a free role, you often find him just as much as a CAM than a winger.