Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

15 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Basically, we're not interested in 99% of the players under discussion here, it's just voyeurism: like flicking through the pages of the Argos catalogue when you were a kid. 

But unlike the Argos catalogue, where they only gave the dimensions of a product, we now have an almost infinite amount of real statistical data and YT vids that we can analyse for our imaginary purchases. 

Add to this hellish situation current players posting old photos with possible new signings, or possible new signings possibly or possibly not removing things from their social media profiles and you have a heady mixture of utter nothingness. 

I liked it when signings turned up at a presser, looked dangerously uncomfortable as Doug mangled their surname, posed in VP/BMH holding a shirt and appeared on Midlands Today. 

*tries to find \\Grandpa_shouting_at_cloud.gif\\* 

It was Grattan's when I was a kid !

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Basically, we're not interested in 99% of the players under discussion here, it's just voyeurism: like flicking through the pages of the Argos catalogue when you were a kid. 

But unlike the Argos catalogue, where they only gave the dimensions of a product, we now have an almost infinite amount of real statistical data and YT vids that we can analyse for our imaginary purchases. 

Add to this hellish situation current players posting old photos with possible new signings, or possible new signings possibly or possibly not removing things from their social media profiles and you have a heady mixture of utter nothingness. 

I liked it when signings turned up at a presser, looked dangerously uncomfortable as Doug mangled their surname, posed in VP/BMH holding a shirt and appeared on Midlands Today. 

*tries to find \\Grandpa_shouting_at_cloud.gif\\* 

He is like a son to me.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MJ_1874 said:

Defenders now.  Gleison Bremer for Torino is a stand out performer and still only 23.  Could be a realistic target to strengthen the backline. 

Sam Bryan in the rb position and Tomori both  performed well and could potentially be signed for reasonable fees.

image.png.cf795d54b2fb3afaa6cf8cfbae5ba299.png

I would possibly be interested in Fikayo Tomori (depending on whether Chelsea would be willing to let him go) 

• Like 2

Apparently the whole Valencia squad apart from Jose Gaya is up for sale. Peter Lim is right up there with the worst owners in football.

They do have some interesting players like Geoffrey Kondogbia for example but no idea if any of them would come here. They also have a few good youth players who I imagine will get snapped up.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

We sort of tried that at the start of the season, those three plus two wide players, was AEG and Trez and then Jota came in and started a couple of games.

McGinn looked good but that was Jack's most unproductive spell of the season in terms of goals and assists. Also thought it meant the middle trio had to cover a huge amount of ground although that was more with playing two touchline hugging wide players who weren't really that good.

We finished the season along the right lines, now it's about finding that midfielder who can give us a bit more steel and nous e.g. someone who can help us hold onto a 1-0 lead v Chelsea rather than folding as soon as they get back to 1-1.

He got 3 assists in that period half of his total. Also mcginn was playing further forward than Grealish was for some ungodly reason. Also Luiz wasn't half the player he is right now. And our wingers were generally poor and Underwhelming. 

1 hour ago, gatecrasha said:

sounds very very decent. Nothing that you could disagree with there. With the remaining 25mill a physically imposing holding brute of a midfielder such as Doucoure. 

Would also love Sarr on the left instead of Rachica

Sarr - Grealish - Buendia

Rashica is better than sarr. And sarr is also a right winger. If we were going to sign sarr we wouldn't sign Buendia and I would prefer Buendia. Because he would be 10 million cheaper and is more creative. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I don't really have an issue with any of the players you've listed there, and I hope we get one or two of them, but without some steel added to the midfield, I see that team getting overrun in the middle of the park.

I’d like that player too, but in terms of priorities it’s getting in a new striker and two winger/WFs. In a 4-2-3-1 (which I think we’ll play against ‘lesser’ teams if Jack stays) Luiz and McGinn are v capable of filling the holding positions. In a 4-3-3 then yes, ideally we’d have a new addition to play as a starter next to them - but then Jack might end up on the left of that 3 in that set up? Dunno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Rashica is better than sarr. And sarr is also a right winger. If we were going to sign sarr we wouldn't sign Buendia and I would prefer Buendia. Because he would be 10 million cheaper and is more creative. 

We could sign both and play Buendia as a number 10 with Jack on the left.  Buendia is actually quite a good tackler so would help on the defensive side as well.

Just now, MJ_1874 said:

We could sign both and play Buendia as a number 10 with Jack on the left.  Buendia is actually quite a good tackler so would help on the defensive side as well.

I would prefer rashica over sarr. He is much more productive and he is a creative hub for a team as well. Still only 24.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Awol said:

I’d like that player too, but in terms of priorities it’s getting in a new striker and two winger/WFs. In a 4-2-3-1 (which I think we’ll play against ‘lesser’ teams if Jack stays) Luiz and McGinn are v capable of filling the holding positions. In a 4-3-3 then yes, ideally we’d have a new addition to play as a starter next to them - but then Jack might end up on the left of that 3 in that set up? Dunno.

I guess what I'm worried about is having an anemic team with some real quality in it—because if we look at the way teams like Norwich and Watford and Bournemouth are getting picked apart by bigger clubs after their relegation, it's clear they had quality, but maybe not the stability or resilience it takes to stay up.

I'd rather see easy-on-the-eye free-flowing football than "hard to play against", but it's clear that if we want to avoid this season's troubles next season, we're going to have to be hard to play against.

Thinking about our midfield and the concerns that we'd get overrun with Jack in there, since the restart, we've been playing Conor there with McGinn and Luiz and we've retained our newfound solidity. Jack is faster, stronger, more technically adept and just a much better footballer than Conor and I imagine putting him in there in his place would improve us if anything. Besides, I think if we had 2 wingers who were genuine threats and a striker that actually runs in behind the defence we'd see much less pressure on our midfield. Teams were playing through us before because they knew we had Samatta and Trezeguet and co up front and didn't have to worry about a counter attack. They could push up and pressure our midfield with no repercussions. I imagine that's going to change next season.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I would prefer rashica over sarr. He is much more productive and he is a creative hub for a team as well. Still only 24.

Would take either for the RW or Samuel Chukwueze.  Looks like the Spanish clubs are struggling and if we can get him for say £25-30m plus add-ons it would be a fantastic deal.  Only 20 and already creating over 4 shooting chances per game last season.