Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Prediction.... we will break our record transfer fee 4 times in this window

I think we'll break our transfer record.  Not sure about 4 times.  To be honest, I dont care about breaking the transfer record I care about the quality coming in.....generally more money does mean better quality but for example paying 25m for Watkins for me doesnt mean we have really improved much.  I want players that make a difference to our first XI.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ponky said:

So any foreign signings would be need to quarantine for 14 days prior to joining the squad - is that correct? 

we have testing facilities at BMH. i'm guessing that means they won't have to provided tests come back negative of course

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Given it seems most english players are abroad at the moment on holiday, it'll be the same for them as well.  Even John Terry is overseas I believe at the moment.  No idea how pre-season will work.

Pretty sure that if they take a test on returning and the results come back negative, they don't have to quarantine.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, useless said:

We've already got Nakamba and Luiz for the DM position, what we need most of all in midfield is a box to box player that's strong in the tackle but also decent going forward, someone like Doucouré springs to mind, but there are probably better examples.

Onamah?

• Sad 1

I see Onamah more as an attacking midfielder, Watkins improves our team as it stands now and if signs will be our best striker, Wesley can get better but at the same time so can Watkins, and am sure Fulham won't want to be selling him. That Sangare looks a decent player and has the added bonus that can play as a both a DM or more of a box to box type midfielder. In fact you could probably argue that not only would Watkins be our best centre-forward, he'd be a contender for being our best winger behind Grealish.

51 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Anyone else get that feeling of when the "big boys" are finished raiding the Flavour of the month footballers named in this thread,that we will be left with just scraps?⚽⚽

Alot of the "Big Boys" already have huge squads and seriously high wage bills.

I feel most of them will be after players out of our league currently anyways, and not many.

It's the 2nd tier such as Arsenal, Leicester, Wolves, West Ham etc we will have to worry about.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Watkins significantly improves our team 

To be seen, I think he'll improve our squad significantly but influence on the first XI will take a while in my opinion.  Unless we buy another striker as well, then he'll be thrown in the deep end into the first XI and that worries me greatly but I will keep my fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Throwing in Watkins as our senior 9 option would be a big gamble imo.

Much better to sign him and an experienced striker even if he's only a short term loan option for a season. So they both start the season but Watkins is out wide and so he can adapt to the premier league easier without having the pressure of having to hit the ground running like Gestede did and also Wes last season which certainly hindered them.

Watkins can then move upfront when other striker is injured/suspended and by end of season he'll hopefully be ready to lead the line.

To me it's a bit like West Ham signing Jarred Bowen. Fantastic scoring record at Hull and you get the feeling if we'd got him in January we'd have played him through the middle.

West Ham however decided to go with Antonio through the middle with Bowen out wide and it worked pretty well for them in the run in. Bowen already hit the ground running in premier league and will probably be moved upfront at some stage next season but West Ham know he can do a job out wide if that dosen't work.

I'd like us to do the same with Watkins.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

We've already got Nakamba and Luiz for the DM position, what we need most of all in midfield is a box to box player that's strong in the tackle but also decent going forward, someone like Doucouré springs to mind, but there are probably better examples.

The central midfield 3 will be Grealish, (assuming he stays) mcginn and Luiz. Any new recruits will probably have to settle for a place on the bench. Not sure Doucouré would be happy to do this. It will world make sense for us to invest in a youngster, with the attributes you mention, who can gradually be incorporated into the team. 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

The central midfield 3 will be Grealish, (assuming he stays) mcginn and Luiz. Any new recruits will probably have to settle for a place on the bench. Not sure Doucouré would be happy to do this. It will world make sense for us to invest in a youngster, with the attributes you mention, who can gradually be incorporated into the team. 

Why? Grealish has been playing more wide forward and might probably stay there and thus we have space in midfield for somebody

• Like 1