Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I want rashica and sarr please.

Watkins

Rashica.  Grealish.   Sarr

Luiz - McGinn

The attacking mids can all interchange, would be fun to watch. 

Replace Sarr with Buendia and we would create chances for fun. I do think we need at least 1 out and out winger though and Sarr would do nicely. I think he's out of our grasp though.

• Like 1

We will be playing 433 in the main, bit of of 4141. Smith has never seemed to like 4231.

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Just because Watkins may be our first signing it doesn’t meant he’s going to be our best signing. Again, patience. 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The obsession about moving Grealish into central midfield is just nuts.

Move him? Jack is a CM.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I guess what I'm worried about is having an anemic team with some real quality in it—because if we look at the way teams like Norwich and Watford and Bournemouth are getting picked apart by bigger clubs after their relegation, it's clear they had quality, but maybe not the stability or resilience it takes to stay up.

I'd rather see easy-on-the-eye free-flowing football than "hard to play against", but it's clear that if we want to avoid this season's troubles next season, we're going to have to be hard to play against.

With Doucore, Capoue, Hughes and Chalobah. Watford had plenty of competitiveness and steel in their midfield. In Lermer and Bilings Bourmouth had plenty of steel in theirs too. However they both got relegated. To be honest I can't understand how Bournemouth got relegated as they have quality in every department. The only weakness they had was lack of creativity in the centre of the park. Brooks injuries, and Frasers bitchassness, confounded that. 

Ultimately it doesn't matter if your attacking or defensive, it's about playing to the strengths of you're team and forging a real cohesive team unit. Sheffield United stayed up not because they have any real quality players, but because they were a real cohesive team unit. The same can be said of Wolves only they have real quality as well.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 3

I think we're all too obsessed with labeling players as a position. The game is moving to one where players like Jack -- who can cover a number of different positions at any given time, depending on the situation and need -- are the future. Calling somebody a winger or a central mid will be obsolete soon enough. It'll be attacker, defender, etc.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

This whole idea of bringing Jack back to the midfield glosses over the main reason he ended up in the front 3 to begin with. McGinn.

McGinn is also an #8 who likes to get in around around the box. That was fine in the Championship. We dominated possession versus most teams.  That allowed us to get away playing hourihane as our DM some games. We tried that midfield 3 of Connor, Jack and John one time in the Prem.  First game of the season at Spurs.  Spurs played through us like we weren't there. 

We then tried Jack and John together a couple more games with a dedicated DM.  That didn't last long because a 10 man Arsenal side had no issue retaining or winning back possession.  Our one defensive minded MF had to cover the entire midfield by himself while Jack and John went forward. It left our back line over exposed and was the main reason we leaked goals before the Covid shutdown. 

Telling John to be more defensive removes the main reason you play him. You want him around the box finishing chances like against Arsenal and Burnley. Moving Jack out wide was about shoring up our defensively weak midfield. You could sign all the 30 million pound wingers you want and that issue would remain. We would need a Kante level DM to accommodate Jack and John playing together in a midfield 3. Douglas is great but if he was at that level, ManC would have already activated that buyback clause. 

You want Grealish in the midfield, sign a strong, alethic box to box midfielder like Mckinnie. Pair that signing with Jack and Douglas and you have a top ten Prem level midfield. I'm a huge fan of McGinn, so for me Jack needs to stay out wide so we can fit both in our starting 11. 

McGinn seemed to be wasted as the makeshift CAM he was playing earlier in the season. Yes he was getting some good goals, but all his other best attributes were nullified. He barely touched the ball. We need him breaking up play and driving the ball from deep, not making lung bursting runs into the penalty box (which he can still do.He seemed more disciplined in his CM role after the lockdown and we've played a midfield 3 of Jack/John/Douglas and it wasn't nearly as open as it was in the earlier part of the season.

I think discipline, shape and tactics are ultimately more important than individual attributes of players. For example, teams were cutting through Bournemouth like they weren't there (Southampton at home comes to mind), and yet they had the physical freak Billing in there with 2 others. On the flip side, we looked really solid post-lockdown and we were playing Conor Hourihane who is about the most powder-puff midfielder in the league. It was our discipline and tweaked tactics that were ultimately more important.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well I for one am gutted that it's Wednesday and we are clearly not signing anyone. I'm starting to think we'll probably sign players on other days of the week, sometimes. 

Nah it’ll be next Wednesday now. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

40 million is the new 10 million. 40 million gets you joelinton or seb haller

More a case of you can rip off idiot clubs like West Ham and Newcastle. Haller and Joelinton were terrible value, even at inflated prices.

I’d prefer Brooks, but won’t mind Buendia or Sarr, they’d all benefit the team.

I also don’t want to regret not signing Benrahma or Eze, I think both will be a great success in the PL. 

Brooks and Eze is some like having a 3 Jack’s behind the striker.

Sarr would offer something different but we could find some players like him outside the league. 

Benrahma and Buendia are a bit different from what we have. 

23 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Sky Bet News says they want over £40mill which just goes to show that they are all just clickbait BS. Great player though! 

31 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

This whole idea of bringing Jack back to the midfield glosses over the main reason he ended up in the front 3 to begin with. McGinn.

McGinn is also an #8 who likes to get in around around the box. That was fine in the Championship. We dominated possession versus most teams.  That allowed us to get away playing hourihane as our DM some games. We tried that midfield 3 of Connor, Jack and John one time in the Prem.  First game of the season at Spurs.  Spurs played through us like we weren't there. 

We then tried Jack and John together a couple more games with a dedicated DM.  That didn't last long because a 10 man Arsenal side had no issue retaining or winning back possession.  Our one defensive minded MF had to cover the entire midfield by himself while Jack and John went forward. It left our back line over exposed and was the main reason we leaked goals before the Covid shutdown. 

Telling John to be more defensive removes the main reason you play him. You want him around the box finishing chances like against Arsenal and Burnley. Moving Jack out wide was about shoring up our defensively weak midfield. You could sign all the 30 million pound wingers you want and that issue would remain. We would need a Kante level DM to accommodate Jack and John playing together in a midfield 3. Douglas is great but if he was at that level, ManC would have already activated that buyback clause. 

You want Grealish in the midfield, sign a strong, alethic box to box midfielder like Mckinnie. Pair that signing with Jack and Douglas and you have a top ten Prem level midfield. I'm a huge fan of McGinn, so for me Jack needs to stay out wide so we can fit both in our starting 11. 

Makes a lot of sense. 

Of all the wingers that have been talked about Sarr is the one I'd like most and the one I think that would meet our needs the most.

But the one I think we're most likely to end up with is Benrahma, don't think he'll end up at any of the so called 'big six', so then can see the chance of working with Smith again and a few others that he already knows as being the deciding factor, just have a feeling that that deal is going to happen.

30 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I think we're all too obsessed with labeling players as a position. The game is moving to one where players like Jack -- who can cover a number of different positions at any given time, depending on the situation and need -- are the future. Calling somebody a winger or a central mid will be obsolete soon enough. It'll be attacker, defender, etc.

Yup players like Jack can interchange with different positions, and it's good to have options.