Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I know I’ve mentioned this before but if Celtic want £30m for Edouard then I think we should pay that. It would break their record transfer fee received a few time’s over I believe, and it would be a record for us too.

Sounds like it's time for a fanfare! 

article-0-0081482500000258-241_224x360.jpg

• Haha 2

We sort of tried that at the start of the season, those three plus two wide players, was AEG and Trez and then Jota came in and started a couple of games.

McGinn looked good but that was Jack's most unproductive spell of the season in terms of goals and assists. Also thought it meant the middle trio had to cover a huge amount of ground although that was more with playing two touchline hugging wide players who weren't really that good.

We finished the season along the right lines, now it's about finding that midfielder who can give us a bit more steel and nous e.g. someone who can help us hold onto a 1-0 lead v Chelsea rather than folding as soon as they get back to 1-1.

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why? Grealish has been playing more wide forward and might probably stay there and thus we have space in midfield for somebody

Smith seems to prefer Grealish in a central role, but due to our poor wide players, has been put out on the left. One we get some better winners I wouldn't be surprised to see Grealish move back into the middle. 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Smith seems to prefer Grealish in a central role, but due to our poor wide players, has been put out on the left. One we get some better winners I wouldn't be surprised to see Grealish move back into the middle. 

Sorry, how do you know he prefers to play Grealish centrally?  I got the feeling he liked giving Jack the freedom more further forward but with McGinn out and until Luiz form, sometimes Dean didnt have a choice

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It would be desperate to break our transfer fee for a player from the SPL.

Week in, week out Watkins is playing against better opposition.

The times are changing. If we want to realistically compete then we are going to need to repeatedly break our transfer record

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, useless said:

A central midfield three of Grealish, Luiz and McGinn would be naive to the extreme, if Smith started next season with those three as our midfield I think it would show that he's learned nothing and I'd worry for him how long he'd last in the job.

I disagree. We ended the season strongly and looking solid with Hourihane, Luiz and McGinn as a three. Grealish is much more combative when he plays CM than Conor. 

I think Jack will want to play there because of the England opportunity. It will need McGinn to play a more disciplined role for sure - and I'm sure Jack will still play wing from time to time - but I would not be at all surprised if we start the season with that exact midfield. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Weston McKennie.

1 hour ago, useless said:

We've already got Nakamba and Luiz for the DM position, what we need most of all in midfield is a box to box player that's strong in the tackle but also decent going forward, someone like Doucouré springs to mind, but there are probably better examples.

I think McKennie would be the right fit there (not just for his aerial ability as highlighted in the video, but for his workrate and tenacity) but I have yet to hear of any interest. It seems like Hertha are the frontrunners now Southampton have been priced out of a move. Wolves, Leicester and Everton are reported to be in the picture as well.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Condimentalist said:

I disagree. We ended the season strongly and looking solid with Hourihane, Luiz and McGinn as a three. Grealish is much more combative when he plays CM than Conor. 

I think Jack will want to play there because of the England opportunity. It will need McGinn to play a more disciplined role for sure - and I'm sure Jack will still play wing from time to time - but I would not be at all surprised if we start the season with that exact midfield. 

I cant agree.  Putting Jack back in midfield impacts his influence in the attacking third where he has really got his admirers from.  We need him further forward to create chances, get freekicks and scoring goals.  I would be disappointed if Jack was moved back to midfield where he is too deep to have the impact we need.  We need Luiz, McGinn and another to have a solid midfield.

• Like 2

Anyone seen the rumours about James McCarthy? Reported in the Daily Mail, costing about six million.

Very similar in quality to Conor Hourihane, but a bit more like Glen Whelan. Not an amazing addition, but would be a substantial improvement on Lansbury imho.

It's not delusional to want Grealish back in midfield. The position he played all last season that got us promoted.

What if thats part of the deal, I'll stay if you play back in my preferred role of the number 8....

He can play there it's not a stupid idea 

• Like 1

Just wondering if the mooted interest in Watkins coming to Villa is for the wing positions rather than a striker?

Edited by striker
  • Like 3