Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

28 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

You dont watch any actual MLS then. You keep on enjoying this fantasy MLS that exists in your head :)

But please, lets hear all these MLS players who are ready to be Premier league starters. 

Pick a team. And remember, your premise was this: "I would not buy a single starter from the MLS".

Since we were talking about Aaronson and the Philadelphia Union a couple pages back, I think he and Mark McKenzie are both prospects to look out for. I can see either or both going to the Premier League or Bundesliga in the near future.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

Pick a team. And remember, your premise was this: "I would not buy a single starter from the MLS".

Since we were talking about Aaronson and the Philadelphia Union a couple pages back, I think he and Mark McKenzie are both prospects to look out for. I can see either or both going to the Premier League or Bundesliga in the near future.

Some MLS players I think could find roles in England. Not star players, but would crack some starting 11s.

Carlos Vela
Josef Martinez
Pozuelo
Diego Rossi
Diego Valeri
Cristian Pavon

Young prospects

Brenden Aaronson
Christian Paredes
Diego Palacios

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Being linked with Rasmus Falk.

Apparently will be playing at Aston Villa within 14 days. 

Probably will turn out we're playing Copenhagen in a friendly!

Yeah..  this one doesn’t make much sense, even as a squad filler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yeah..  this one doesn’t make much sense, even as a squad filler. 

Obviously didn’t watch the game tonight! 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Some MLS players I think could find roles in England. Not star players, but would crack some starting 11s.

Carlos Vela
Josef Martinez
Pozuelo
Diego Rossi
Diego Valeri
Cristian Pavon

Young prospects

Brenden Aaronson
Christian Paredes
Diego Palacios

I agree. And I think my main point is that there's definitely conversation to be had around MLS talent. It's not categorical. Diego Rossi is a great example of a young talent who is ready for the jump.

One of the emerging American prospects I'm curious about is Paxton Pomykal, because I can see it going both ways: I can see him having a fruitful top-flight career in Germany or England...but I can also see him being a Barry Bannan-type player who shows tantalizing glimpses without quite making the leap. I'm tempted to think the former, but not without reservations.

11 minutes ago, JamieZ said:

I agree. And I think my main point is that there's definitely conversation to be had around MLS talent. It's not categorical. Diego Rossi is a great example of a young talent who is ready for the jump.

One of the emerging American prospects I'm curious about is Paxton Pomykal, because I can see it going both ways: I can see him having a fruitful top-flight career in Germany or England...but I can also see him being a Barry Bannan-type player who shows tantalizing glimpses without quite making the leap. I'm tempted to think the former, but not without reservations.

Yep, saying there aren't any MLS players worthy of buying would be like saying there aren't any players in smaller European leagues worth buying. As for Pomykal, I thought about putting him on my list, but I figured I had to stop somewhere 😂

• Like 1

Judging an individual's potential/talent based on the standard of the league they play in as a naive thing to do. We'd never have signed McGinn on that basis. 

Thankfully we have a recruitment team who will look further than just what league a person is playing in. Not to say it's not relative but there are also players who find themselves in leagues far lower than their own level. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JamieZ said:

Oh I agree. The MLS has some great prospects. Some great talent, even premier league talent, after they bed in.

But my original point was they will be squad or good prospect players and thats fine. This window we also need some players to come straight in and be starters. Like we need a striker who can start scoring now, not next season after they adjust. 

The transition from the MLS seems to be harder and take a bit longer because of its far slower pace and structure than most european leagues. It doesnt mean these are not great players, they are.  I want Villa to have more players from the MLS and Mexican leagues which are under valued. But its just such a difference in intensity and speed that jump is going to take them longer to adjust.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Awol said:

Obviously didn’t watch the game tonight! 

He’s so fantastic yet is 28 and played his whole career in Denmark.....

I don’t think that is the level of quality we need.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oh I agree. The MLS has some great prospects. Some great talent, even premier league talent, after they bed in.

But my original point was they will be squad or good prospect players and thats fine. This window we also need some players to come straight in and be starters. Like we need a striker who can start scoring now, not next season after they adjust. 

The transition from the MLS seems to be harder and take a bit longer because of its far slower pace and structure than most european leagues. It doesnt mean these are not great players, they are.  I want Villa to have more players from the MLS and Mexican leagues which are under valued. But its just such a difference in intensity and speed that jump is going to take them longer to adjust.

I think you make a great point about the Mexican leagues. It’s an under appreciated  market.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tez500 said:

Buendia, being linked again for only £20m. For me, at that price, he would be my priority target. I've seen a few people on here dismiss it as he is similar to Grealish but that is exactly why we should he moving for him, Jack has been linked away for the last few seasons and it's risky having all the creativity go through one player. Finally he plays on or off the right, possibly in the midfield 3, so could play with Jack easily. His underlying stats from last were fantastic with high chances created, take ons and also tackles. Granted we still need a striker but I would be annoyed if another team picked him up and not us.

Good player.  Would love to see him play with Jack as you describe. Sets up some nice competition within the midfield as well. As a character he seems to have been pretty loyal and been respectful to Norwich during their relegation which feels like he would fit in well with our squad. Players dont always respond with that kind of character as we learned when we were relegated.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I agree on Buendia. To me he poses less risk than Benrahma, as we know Buendia can do it in the Premier League. If the £20m figure is true I’d be all over it. Buendia is only 23 so has plenty of time to improve and grow too. 

Yep, I'd prefer Buendia to Benrahma for the same reasons. 

• Like 2