Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

A lot of spurious links mentioning Villa and Daniel Sturridge about on social media. I think his wage to game-time ratio would mean a no from me. Also, have I just completely forgot that he was a former 'academy product', as I've just read. If so, why don't we ever see his name chucked about along with the others we gave away instead of giving a chance to?

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I see lots of comments which basically say player x won’t sign for us because he is either too expensive or too good. Now I understand why people come to these conclusions but I would like to think that these conclusions are based on past history which is now out of date. My hope is that with our new(ish) owners and the greatly improved scouting, recruitment and coaching set up, we are now able to attract and afford a higher quality of players and also find players of good quality before they become over priced.

Rich and astute businessmen with a modern and progressive approach to running our club is the best thing to happen to us off the pitch in my lifetime. The hope now is that translates into sustainable success for a long time. I always felt when we appointed new managers and bought new players that there was an element of eyes closed and fingers crossed that everything goes well. There are of course no guarantees and the future won’t be without setbacks, but there finally seems to be proper structure to our plans and I have something to pin my hopes to rather than just blind faith. UTV!!

Agreed, but it really isn't a transfer window without that one target being repeated that was never going to happen, is it? This Rashica link reminds me too much of the Sneijder, Miguel, Defoe, Izzet, and what not. 

18 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I see lots of comments which basically say player x won’t sign for us because he is either too expensive or too good. Now I understand why people come to these conclusions but I would like to think that these conclusions are based on past history which is now out of date. My hope is that with our new(ish) owners and the greatly improved scouting, recruitment and coaching set up, we are now able to attract and afford a higher quality of players and also find players of good quality before they become over priced.

Rich and astute businessmen with a modern and progressive approach to running our club is the best thing to happen to us off the pitch in my lifetime. The hope now is that translates into sustainable success for a long time. I always felt when we appointed new managers and bought new players that there was an element of eyes closed and fingers crossed that everything goes well. There are of course no guarantees and the future won’t be without setbacks, but there finally seems to be proper structure to our plans and I have something to pin my hopes to rather than just blind faith. UTV!!

Agree mostly especially the second para. The stage we are at though, newly promoted just stayed up, means we won't be able to go and get the calibre of player who wants to play in europe. The improvements in scouting and recruitment hopefully means we can get that player a few years younger and then prove himself in claret and blue, taking us up the league in the process.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Agreed, but it really isn't a transfer window without that one target being repeated that was never going to happen, is it? This Rashica link reminds me too much of the Sneijder, Miguel, Defoe, Izzet, and what not. 

Open the Messi page!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Agree mostly especially the second para. The stage we are at though, newly promoted just stayed up, means we won't be able to go and get the calibre of player who wants to play in europe. The improvements in scouting and recruitment hopefully means we can get that player a few years younger and then prove himself in claret and blue, taking us up the league in the process.

I agree, we may be able to persuade some quality players that are more established by selling them the “project” but most of the players at this level will have plenty of options and will want to see us prove ourselves first. If as is the hope we climb the table then recruitment becomes a little easier, even a positive start to the season may help this year with the window closing late. Jack signing a new contract would also be a massive statement of intent. We are finally looking like a proper modern football club that can command respect from the football world for what we are now and not just what we were in the past. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A lot of spurious links mentioning Villa and Daniel Sturridge about on social media. I think his wage to game-time ratio would mean a no from me. Also, have I just completely forgot that he was a former 'academy product', as I've just read. If so, why don't we ever see his name chucked about along with the others we gave away instead of giving a chance to?

I’ll probably be in a minority of one but I’d take him here, come home Daniel, where it all began

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

No thanks, we've already got one Aaron Ramsey.

Very special young player, I only saw him a couple of times last season but I have high hopes for him (I seem to say that about an awful lot our young players)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Oh I agree. The MLS has some great prospects. Some great talent, even premier league talent, after they bed in.

But my original point was they will be squad or good prospect players and thats fine. This window we also need some players to come straight in and be starters. Like we need a striker who can start scoring now, not next season after they adjust. 

The transition from the MLS seems to be harder and take a bit longer because of its far slower pace and structure than most european leagues. It doesnt mean these are not great players, they are.  I want Villa to have more players from the MLS and Mexican leagues which are under valued. But its just such a difference in intensity and speed that jump is going to take them longer to adjust.

I'm fine with a qualified statement like that. Are there any strikers in MLS who are going to come in and be the solution to our attacking problems? No, almost certainly not. But I also don't think we should be blind to the league as a source of talented (and affordable) prospects ready to make the jump to the next level (Tyler Adams' instant transition from NYRB to RB Leipzig is just one example off the top off my head). Because even if we ignore those possibilities, other clubs won't.

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i still can't believe how quiet the transfer window has been. i guess players are still on holiday, but across the board there has been very little activity

I think most clubs have no money due to Covid-19 losses.  Even many of the 'big' clubs are talking about having to sell to buy.  There is an argument that waiting is better if you have money until clubs get desperate and need to sell to stay afloat.  if we play this well, we might get a few bargains later in the window.

1 minute ago, MJ_1874 said:

I think most clubs have no money due to Covid-19 losses.  Even many of the 'big' clubs are talking about having to sell to buy.  There is an argument that waiting is better if you have money until clubs get desperate and need to sell to stay afloat.  if we play this well, we might get a few bargains later in the window.

But leave it too long they won't sell as they can't get replacements in time.

I beginning to wonder if we won’t be spending the millions and millions that people are expecting. Maybe there is a plan to go with what we already have with some of the players expected to return from injury soon, and instead we will be signing players for the future. Perhaps we even have some ready to step-up to the first team, increasing our numbers and strength there. 

I think covid put a stop to those spending plans. Probably rightly so... 

domestically speaking, i think it's that all clubs are just after the same players. eze, benrahma, watkins, brooks + the 2 wilsons have all been linked with pretty much everyone 6th or lower in the league. i think it's a lot to do with agents kicking up the media talk with the hopes of starting bidding wars. but no one wants to make that opening bid.

13 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

But leave it too long they won't sell as they can't get replacements in time.

I think that surviving in existence full stop might overtake how well they think they will do next season.

• Like 1