Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

I agree on Buendia. To me he poses less risk than Benrahma, as we know Buendia can do it in the Premier League. If the £20m figure is true I’d be all over it. Buendia is only 23 so has plenty of time to improve and grow too. 

Whisper it quietly, but I also have some minor concerns about McGinn. It was clear he wasn't right after his injury and I'm hoping the time off will do him good. However, I could see Buendia playing in his spot with Luiz and Jack, with a right winger agead of him. Of course he has also been playing on the wing for Norwich and is better than Trezeguet. Either way he is a quality player for reportedly lowish fee, we should be getting this done and dusted before other clubs move in. 

I don't quite see it. We got a limited amount of money to spend and a lot of areas to improve. It's almost never a good idea to have the same type of footballer on your left wing as on your right. For every Mahrez you need your Albrighton. For every Giggs you need a Beckham. Football is almost always about how players with different qualites create one superb unit. Some CBs cover, some intercept. One CM can be creative, and it's often partnered with someone more defensive. This isn't exactly rocket science to anyone following football, but this idea of stock piling playmakers because you like watching them play won't do us any favour when it comes to developing the club.

Grealish should probably stick to the left. So Benhrama, Buendia, and that bloke from Bremen I never can remember the name of, seems very unlikely to me. Brooks seems like a fit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tez500 said:

Whisper it quietly, but I also have some minor concerns about McGinn. It was clear he wasn't right after his injury and I'm hoping the time off will do him good. However, I could see Buendia playing in his spot with Luiz and Jack, with a right winger agead of him. Of course he has also been playing on the wing for Norwich and is better than Trezeguet. Either way he is a quality player for reportedly lowish fee, we should be getting this done and dusted before other clubs move in. 

Midfield containing Buendia and Grealish would be defensively very week. I still see Grealish best used as winger with more freedom to operate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paul514 said:

He’s so fantastic yet is 28 and played his whole career in Denmark.....

I don’t think that is the level of quality we need.

Why is that?

Granted he is 28 and maybe a bit old, but he has everything that would help us improve. He is technically gifted, has vision to set up chances for others, he isnt goal greedy but is teamplayer, will do everything to win and he is a fighter. If you love John Mcginn, then you would love Rasmus Falk as well. He has been one of the best players in the danish league for last couple of years.

Granted, he is not as good as Grealish, but he has a little bit of "grealish"-skill in him, combined with Mcginn and Hourihanes passing/shooting and can play all midfieldpositions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwrinGzKso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5p1FEHA5w

The last video is just showing 2 or 3 of his dribles and goeals from different angles

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Why is that?

Granted he is 28 and maybe a bit old, but he has everything that would help us improve. He is technically gifted, has vision to set up chances for others, he isnt goal greedy but is teamplayer, will do everything to win and he is a fighter. If you love John Mcginn, then you would love Rasmus Falk as well. He has been one of the best players in the danish league for last couple of years.

Granted, he is not as good as Grealish, but he has a little bit of "grealish"-skill in him, combined with Mcginn and Hourihanes passing/shooting and can play all midfieldpositions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LwrinGzKso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5p1FEHA5w

You might be right, but this sounds like what people said about Brett Holman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

He is nothing like Holman. I have watched this guy every week since he was 20 At first he might seem a bit underwhelming, but Im sure he will win you all over...

Edited by Taxahunter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I don't quite see it. We got a limited amount of money to spend and a lot of areas to improve. It's almost never a good idea to have the same type of footballer on your left wing as on your right. For every Mahrez you need your Albrighton. For every Giggs you need a Beckham. Football is almost always about how players with different qualites create one superb unit. Some CBs cover, some intercept. One CM can be creative, and it's often partnered with someone more defensive. This isn't exactly rocket science to anyone following football, but this idea of stock piling playmakers because you like watching them play won't do us any favour when it comes to developing the club.

Grealish should probably stick to the left. So Benhrama, Buendia, and that bloke from Bremen I never can remember the name of, seems very unlikely to me. Brooks seems like a fit. 

Agree with this, although we ideally need a plan for if / when Grealish gets injured. So we need some creativity elsewhere in the squad.

But yes, blowing most of our money on another tricky playmaker who comes inside could turn out to be a bad investment.

Priorities for me are CM (a physical, box to box player), striker (someone with pace and goals), and a proper winger (with pace and ability to beat his full back on the outside).

We can definitely reinforce across the squad, but get those three signings right and the impact would be massive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

He is nothing like Holman. I have watched this guy every week since he was 20

I imagine some Australians said the same about Holman, but there’s still a risk to every signing. Seeing someone play well in a lesser league can go tits up quite easily.

I’ve not watched him much so I won’t pretend to know more than you about him, but I wasn’t blown away by those YouTube clips, I have to say. 

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Those statistics on the previous page suggest he's nothing like Brett Holman. Brett Holman couldn't get statistics like that if he was playing in a pub league.

My only point is it's confusing how Brett Holman was considered good enough to be a footballer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

I imagine some Australians said the same about Holman, but there’s still a risk to every signing. Seeing someone play well in a lesser league can go tits up quite easily.

I’ve not watched him much so I won’t pretend to know more than you about him, but I wasn’t blown away by those YouTube clips, I have to say. 

Can't comment on the new link - but I can on Holman. I mentioned back when we signed him that he had an outstanding engine and a half decent shot on him....

... but his overall play was completely headless. He was a polarizing figure in our national team and he was never PL quality.

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You are right in him playing in a lesser league, but he has also played Champions League and Europe League consistently whil playing for FC Copenhagen, thats more we can say about all our players..

3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Those statistics on the previous page suggest he's nothing like Brett Holman. Brett Holman couldn't get statistics like that if he was playing in a pub league.

My only point is it's confusing how Brett Holman was considered good enough to be a footballer.

I wasn’t insinuating that he’s a Holman clone, just that the whole ‘he works hard so you’ll love him... and he’s been great in [insert lesser league]’ sounds familiar, and didn’t end well for Holman.

Also, stats from one game can hardly be taken as evidence that he’s a certain type of player. Many players up their game when playing against a big team in a European tie.

• Like 1

Why does it have to be Beundia OR Benrahma?

I mean doesn’t Beundia play RW and Benrahma LW?

Get both.

Move Jack to AM (where he wants to play), buy a ST who actually scores goals and it’s job done for me re our attackers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

You are right in him playing in a lesser league, but he has also played Champions League and Europe League consistently whil playing for FC Copenhagen, thats more we can say about all our players..

I mean.. I wouldn’t say *all*... Wesley, Samatta, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Nakamba and Engels have all played Europa or Champions League football for 2-5 seasons each, prior to coming to us.

Kalinic played in the Europa League for 6 consecutive seasons before joining us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This judging players as to if they’ve played in CL or The Europa League Isn’t a particularly good benchmark. Countries all get places in European competitions regardless of the strength of their national league. A strong team from a country with a weak league will consistently play in Europe. That doesn’t make their players good enough for Real Madrid or Bayern Munich etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

He’s so fantastic yet is 28 and played his whole career in Denmark.....

I don’t think that is the level of quality we need.

Why is it so many moan we never buy any "gems" like Benrahma but even we we see a talent, albeit an older talent at a low price most posters on here say "no thanks". For less than £2m he looks a bargain.

8 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Some MLS players I think could find roles in England. Not star players, but would crack some starting 11s.

Carlos Vela
Josef Martinez
Pozuelo
Diego Rossi
Diego Valeri
Cristian Pavon

Young prospects

Brenden Aaronson
Christian Paredes
Diego Palacios

I was at a Boca game last year and he was playing on the right wing. He was miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch. The CF - Benedetto - for Boca transferred to Marseille that summer and I thought Pavon would have been the next one to make a move to Europe. Surprised he went to the MLS afterwards. He's capped for Argentina as well isn't he?

• Like 2

Rasmus Falk is 28 and has 1 cap for Denmark, in 2013 when he was subbed at ht against Malta.

I really don't see us going for him, just like I don't see us going for Sweden's #3 keeper even thou he had a great game against Manure last night. FCK connection or not

• Like 3