Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

How do you possibly know?

There has been no confirmation of bids launched or even in the preparation stage, Let alone  the finishing touches being put on Even though the war chest has been confirmed

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

There’s a lot of talk about spending big on transfer fees and owner ambition. Fans are forgetting about wages. To attract top players to a team that were fighting relegation you have to pay them silly wages. That is how Man City managed to sign the best. 

Due to FFP we just can’t do that anymore. So whilst we love seeing big names linked to us and could probably even pay the transfer fee for them.. We wouldn’t them be able to also pay the 100k+  a week or so salary they would want with it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Sure.  But I would rather consider his previous most recent 3 seasons, than the 3 seasons preceding that, but I suppose that is your personal call. For instance, with that particular thinking you would turn down a chance to sign someone like Jimenez at Wolves, goal ratio over the past 2 seasons are good. Yet his stats at Benfica previous seasons to that (18 in 80) are less than 1 goal every 4 games. Which Jimenez would you think you'd get if Villa signed today? Besides such a blunt instrument to judge (goal/game or mins). Even for a striker, should take a rounded approach with team and league fit. To my mind, football is about balance and partnerships, so you look to build a squad that complements. I believe we went down the sign all top league GpG strikers in our inaugural season in the Championship. We can both agree that didn't end too well.

The few times I've seen Cordoba on the tele, I've thought his overall game-play would fit well in the premier league, then seeing his stats and his contract dwindling today, I considered there is value in the transfer. This is not a transfer hill I am particularly willing to die on. Just thought it was offhanded that you dismissed him as 'no better than what we've got' and a 1 in 4 striker. Of course this is all moot as I doubt Villa are in for him. Just trying to highlight there is potential value in the markets across the top 5 leagues. 

apologies for appearing off handed, just my direct style, sorry.

No one has a monopoly on who will/won't be right for us......I have never see Cordoba play, so yeah just going off stats which can be iffy.

I happen to think we have made a habit in our recent past of buying players no better than what we have....just turning over faces.

His time at FC Koln is surely better than his overall career, so yes a legitimate shout.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There’s a lot of talk about spending big on transfer fees and owner ambition. Fans are forgetting about wages. To attract top players to a team that were fighting relegation you have to pay them silly wages. That is how Man City managed to sign the best. 

Due to FFP we just can’t do that anymore. So whilst we love seeing big names linked to us and could probably even pay the transfer fee for them.. We wouldn’t them be able to also pay the 100k+  a week or so salary they would want with it.

Good point.  Didn’t Purslow or someone say that you need 3 years in the Premier League before you can pay top salaries? Seem to remember that being said somewhere?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So whilst we love seeing big names linked to us and could probably even pay the transfer fee for them.. We wouldn’t them be able to also pay the 100k+  a week or so salary they would want with it.

Didn't recognise Villa when I saw that we were something like third or fourth lowest wages in the prem last season - there was an article in Jan saying for that reason we would be going down. They had a point - but how refreshing now to be in this situation where we recruit players within a wage structure and that they come here not just for the payday. Like you say - this rules out some 'big club' cast offs or money oriented prospects not taken by the big clubs - but can't say I mind that at all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

There has been no confirmation of bids launched or even in the preparation stage, Let alone  the finishing touches being put on Even though the war chest has been confirmed

The war chest hasn't been confirmed. Nothing has been confirmed. Every year football news in newspapers is shown up to be fiction.

Case in point: every single year, 99% of our signings come out of nowhere.

There is no evidence here! No evidence in the Sunday Mirror article, and not in all those tweets unless it is one of the very very rare journalists who seem to have a link with the club, which definitely happens from time to time. I think it's interesting to talk about the rumours and so on, but I think we're all mostly old enough to put them in perspective, surely?

The only definite fact we have is from history, and it's that the club does a lot of things we and the journalists don't have a clue about.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Just now, TreeVillan said:

It's not. The word atm is Spurs have bid £16m for Benrahma

What a spurs thing to do given that we were willing to offer that last season and it was rejected. His  value hasn't exactly gone down either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

It's not. The word atm is Spurs have bid £16m for Benrahma

He will go spurs if they are in for him. I dont think benrama is good enough if your aiming for cl personally.

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The war chest hasn't been confirmed. Nothing has been confirmed. Every year football news in newspapers is shown up to be fiction.

Case in point: every single year, 99% of our signings come out of nowhere.

There is no evidence here! No evidence in the Sunday Mirror article, and not in all those tweets unless it is one of the very very rare journalists who seem to have a link with the club, which definitely happens from time to time. I think it's interesting to talk about the rumours and so on, but I think we're all mostly old enough to put them in perspective, surely?

The only definite fact we have is from history, and it's that the club does a lot of things we and the journalists don't have a clue about.

Just for the record I was being pedantic using all the cliches possible that are used in the transfer market by the press et cetera

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Excellent that is I like the post alot.

I think if our ambition are really high the Owners will want to see the best young names in the business at VillaPark. If were to compete at the highest level then we will need to bring the brightest and best in. 

Now imagine Johan Lange doing that and spending 100 million on a player or two,Smith would love it, do not know if Purslow would. Do wonder if the Owners would go nuts over it or think we will see how this approach goes and what fruits fall of the tree.

I do actually think we could buy three very fantastic amazing players for 100 mill from abroad, four tops and if I had to choose where it would all be on front line, 2 x wingers and 1 x striker so Grealish can go back in the middle.

What you said earlier about certain players not giving alot of other types of players any time to move or be on the ball or space in factp, it's what I think the top clubs in the league look out for alot. You can find alot of those types abroad in those best clubs around the world, it's like they drill for it and that's why they are brilliant at shutting down opposition. I do think that there are a few clubs in particular in this league, that have nailed signings to a T in regards to finding those players that shutdown very quickly. Players who leave no room for manuvre and do not let other teams breath because they are on you so fast is something we really need to start getting more to grips with, it leaves team gassed. After restart you could see one player in particular for us who has obviously learnt while hes been at city to do exactly do what top teams do and that's be onto you like a lightning bolt, chase you down and do not stop till you have the ball from them and they are mentally and physically drained from being hounded.

I was literally drooling reading that......because, if we got that right, we would be on our way to being a force again.

We need an edge up front no doubt.....but what you have just highlighted is paramount for me.

I think £100 mill on one player is pushing it Dave, even I would baulk at that.....I was just highlighting the thinking ,talking about Gregory.

I could not emphasis my wishes to move forward any more than you have eloquently explained in that highlighted paragraph.....bang on the money for me and something Wilder and Nuno has cottoned on to......Since Lockdown Dean has seemed to warmed to it too and I hope we see some of that next season.....I still think we need a powerful ,athletic player at CDM to help us though and move Luiz further forward.

I would sign this window.....assuming we keep all our existing first team.

• Striker
  • Winger
  • Centre Back
  •  CDM ( powerful athletic type, with good brain)
  • possibly another creative midfielder.

not sure we have enough money for all that.....maybe some sales to generate a bit.

I still think we are a bit soft/light in centre Midfield

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just for the record I was being pedantic using all the cliches possible that are used in the transfer market by the press et cetera

Ha well it was clearly too subtle for me!

I think I've got a little too into all this, the righteous pursuit of truth in transfer rumours 😇

I'm going to give it a rest.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

Ha well it was clearly too subtle for me!

I think I've got a little too into all this, the righteous pursuit of truth in transfer rumours 😇

No problem but if you read many articles they all include the same terminology, the preparation of the bid, The finishing touches to the bid and the subsequent launch of the said bid, Which is obviously supported by the warchest. All of which usually follows on from an ‘enquiry’ It’s like they are playing that game where you have to say certain words in the conversation to gain points🤣👍

29 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I think were getting ready to slap in a bid for a few players 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

No problem but if you read many articles they all include the same terminology, the preparation of the bid, The finishing touches to the bid and the subsequent launch of the said bid, Which is obviously supported by the warchest. All of which usually follows on from an ‘enquiry’ It’s like they are playing that game where you have to say certain words in the conversation to gain points🤣👍

Ha yes. And then, when things don't happen very quickly, there's always a dramatic problem that might ruin the deal. But usually doesn't (if the deal is real).

• Haha 1