Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

13 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Danny Ings

You can't really use Danny Ings as a yardstick for the kind of signing we should be making. Firstly Southampton are his boyhood club so they'd  have had more pull signing him and were always more likely to get a tune out of him. Secondly with his injury record £18m was still a pretty big risk, he was just as likely to get a season long injury in his first game as he was to score as many as he has, we weren't and aren't exactly in a position to take those kinds of risks. Yeah it looks like a great signing in hindsight but could easily have been an £18m Danny Drinkwater.

14 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I see people seem to think the amount of money we spend on a striker is a meassurement of the ambition level. I disagree.

Wesley made his debut for Brazil in November and players that get into that team should also make it into our team. Just because he didn't hit the ground running doesn't mean he won't make it here. 

Traore (now Wolves), Ayew (now Crystal Palace), Amavi (now Marseille), Veretout (now AS Roma) and Gueye (now PSG) didn't hit the ground running in our relegation season, but they have proved they are good players since then. Similar things might happen, not only with Wesley, but with quite a few of our players. 

What we need now is to upgrade a few positions, and add much needed quality to the squad rather than spending most of the money on just a striker. 

But that doesn't mean the owners aren't ambitious. It's just that the club need to reach a certain plateau before it's ready to move to the next one. The next one is mid table, and we reach that by adding more players that are decent, but not spectacular. It's not Wesley that need a replacement, it's Taylor, Lansbury, Hourihane, Jota, Nyland and so on. It's a squad game, and even more now, when it's five subs. Where we are now It's better to replace Watkins with Eze at half time, than Edouard with Keinan Davis.

I hope we buy players on their way up, from the Championship and elsewhere, rather than rejects from top teams. 

No one is proposing Rejects, from Top Teams.....that is an interpretation of a falsehood.

The players being suggested are fringe players, who are frustrated at a lack of game time, trying to push out world class players.

These same players are in and around an environment of serial winners, with the spin off of listening to world class managers and their strategies for success.

They are trusted to play when called up on in highly motivated teams that breed intensity and drive and a thirst to win.

They are anything but Rejects.....thats a poor interpretation.

was Danny Ings a reject?

That's a crazily long window.

People are going to get restless because things are definitely not going to happen quickly (on the most part). Evidence being the transfer windows are usually slow to get moving.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I am not an advocate of 2 wingers.....I favour one with an ability to switch flanks, like Morely used to do.

You lose a crucial player of industry, when you play 2 wingers, unless of course they are top class and pin back the opposition...like Mahrez, Overmars or Robben and the like.

some wingers are passengers and don't do what it says on the tin and in this league, you get found out. and it leaves midfield over worked.

Sir Alf and our very own Ron Saunders, would be nodding their heads in agreement. ;) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

There were far more fires that were nonsense though. I think most of those people were announced from actual journalists in the respective countries, not from the shitty British tabloids. The random tweet from a random Beligian journalist usually came very late in the process. It's inevitable that eventually, when the story finally breaks there'll be a lot of journalists jumping on the bandwagon, but that doesn't mean the day-to-day rumours are any better than fiction.

Do you really use that 'no smoke without fire' principle with the tabloids? I mean the rumours are mostly, demonstrably bullshit. That's quite a perplexing statement.

I remember seeing their names listed on Aston Villa news now, well before a couple of days.....sure its click bait.....and sure there is a scatter gun approach to rumours.....and sure many are wrong.

but amongst all the rubble is life, in many cases.....There are instances, where one is out of the blue, but information being the craved force it is usually, gets leaked by someone.

26 minutes ago, John said:

We might need it to be that long, if we don't start bringing players in soon. 

So does the registration for the 25 man squad close when the season starts or when the window closes? I assume when the window closes.

But are you allowed to use how many players you'd like up until the window closes? A bit different than usual when it's a week or 2 between the start of the season and the window closing. It's a month and a half this time.

Seem like yet another advantage for the big clubs who can rotate and use their 40 or whatever senior players they have. Also feel it's partly there so that the big clubs can have as much time as possible to trim their squads along the way because I think they will find it more difficult than usual to get the unwanted players off their books this year. Partly because Bournemouth is down :D but most because most club can not afford to buy or have fringe players on loan costing £50k-£100k a week like we and other clubs have done in previous seasons.

Clubs Like Barca, Real, Manure and so on have tons of players they want rid, but who can afford those wages or fees now with the revenue drop?

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, John said:

Sir Alf and our very own Ron Saunders, would be nodding their heads in agreement. ;) 

Totally

Both managers appreciated the value of workrate and industry.....The problem is John when you mention it, it gets manipulated in to " park the bus" football.

Not many seem to reference the work and industry of Liverpool or Man City, its camouflaged by technical ability.

But yes John they both would......but then you get the old chesnut from some quarters....." football has changed, you are a dinosaur" ....not to the point where workrate and industry can be ignored it hasn't.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

No one is proposing Rejects, from Top Teams.....that is an interpretation of a falsehood.

The players being suggested are fringe players, who are frustrated at a lack of game time, trying to push out world class players.

These same players are in and around an environment of serial winners, with the spin off of listening to world class managers and their strategies for success.

They are trusted to play when called up on in highly motivated teams that breed intensity and drive and a thirst to win.

They are anything but Rejects.....thats a poor interpretation.

was Danny Ings a reject?

See my post above in regard to Danny Ings. I get the point you're trying to make, but surely if these players are that desperate to play first team football they'll be on the phone to us and other clubs anyway? And I actually think it shows more ambition that rather than just accept cast offs from above we're trying to compete with the top clubs for these players' signatures before they move.

11 minutes ago, Rolta said:

People are going to get restless because things are definitely not going to happen quickly (on the most part). Evidence being the transfer windows are usually slow to get moving.

Probably all done in the last week.....its like the pubs pre lockdown.....people go out late and want afters.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I remember seeing their names listed on Aston Villa news now, well before a couple of days.....sure its click bait.....and sure there is a scatter gun approach to rumours.....and sure many are wrong.

but amongst all the rubble is life, in many cases.....There are instances, where one is out of the blue, but information being the craved force it is usually, gets leaked by someone.

No offence, but I'm not sure there's not a lot in what you just said. Cliches are cliches and football news is 90% made up.

When actual news breaks (Luiz, Nakamba etc.) it's real—of course. It's not clickbait. It never breaks in the moment of signing, but when things are far along and nearing completion—and things far along still appear to take time, what with massive contracts and massive fees. Sometimes it's agents releasing things too, sure. That's definitely one category of news. Real news.

But in the meantime the journalists make things up. That's the way it works. Their job is to write things in newspapers to fill up gossip columns, and if they don't know anything they make stuff up. Reporting the truth isn't scattershot—how does that work? That's the definition of making things up. I know people who work in football news and the stories they told me were hilarious.

Edited by Rolta

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

In other words through enough shit at the fan and some of it will stick

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rolta said:

No offence, but I'm not sure there's not a lot in what you just said. Cliches are cliches and football news is 90% made up.

When actual news breaks (Luiz, Nakamba etc.) it's real—of course. It never breaks in the moment of signing, but when things are far along and nearing completion. Sometimes it's agents releasing things too, sure. That's definitely one category of news.

But in the meantime the journalists make things up. That's the way it works. Their job is to write things in newspapers to fill up gossip columns, and if they don't know anything they make stuff up. Reporting the truth isn't scattershot—how does that work? That's the definition of making things up. I know people who work in football news and the stories they told me were hilarious.

No offence taken.

You are clearly closer to it than me and I have no doubt in what you say.

my unsubstantiated opinion of scattergun/scatter shot what ever.....is journalists breed off other snippets of rumour and just splurge it.....if they put enough out, they are likely to get a few right.....but hey ho, I am not an expert on the sporting press.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I m actually taking it as a good sign.

When you paying £11m for the likes of Nakamba - there isn't likely to be much competition and the player must think all his birthdays have come at once.  Better players are likley to have multiple offers and the club multiple bids to consider.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rubberman said:

It's like one of Johnson's coronavirus briefings in here - 

Buy the best talents from the championship and relegated teams, but don't but them cause they can't cut it in the PL.  Unless they can cut it in the PL, but then they are too expensive so don't buy them.

Buy young and hungry foreign talent, but not like the ones we've bought in the past, except those ones we did buy in the past but bought at the wrong time and are now good, but were shit.

Buy fringe players from the top teams, but not the reject ones, buy the good ones, but not the not-quite-good enough ones.

etc and so on...

Its a forum....folk post Opinions.....(when there is such a broad church of possibilities, complexities are bound to surface.....just like Covid 19......its not a simple and concise approach.....or a one fits all procedure)

we like it.......I think.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1