Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I totally agree, you need a mix....I have said ,no hard and fast rule.

I guess to a degree, I have been influenced by how Ron Saunders built his teams, for my sins.

Cropley- Arsenal

Rimmer-Arsenal

Swain-Chelsea

Withe -Newcastle 

and then on to Dean Saunders- Liverpool

Sure he had some great kids coming through, so I guess that helped.

I just think its an area, we should be more mindful of.

I can see your points and I agree with some of them. I just think football is a different game now with the money involved. Players are motivated differently and that translates to the pitch. Players chomping at the bit at their clubs like Ings and not getting their chance are the players you wan to sign. Not sure how many of them exist though.

For what it's worth, my brother who is a bit of a football expert has suggested the following:

Winger

Ikone from Lile

McNeil from Burnely

Dodi Lukebakio - Hertha

Deulofeu

Striker

Rashica

Patson Daka

Edouard

Gayle (a cheaper squad player)

King

CM

McKennie

Lerma

CB

Simakan from Strasbourg

Smalling from Man U

Full Back

Dalot from Man U

Rico from Bournemouth

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 1

They also made that statement of intent before FFP and before the huge wage bubble.

The equivalent 'statement of intent' these days would be dropping 100m-150m and 300k a week on a Dybala type player.

It won't happen.

EDIT: Page break got me

Edited by StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Because I am a sad bastard, I went through the squads of the top 6, looking at rej-, sorry fringe players and compiled a list below.

How many of these would we want? And more importantly, how many would actually come??

Plop
Divock Origi
Xherdan Shaqiri
Harry Wilson

Citeh
Oleksandr Zinchenko
Angelino
Nicolás Otamendi
Eric García
Jon Stones

United
Andreas Pereira
Jesse Lingard
Phil Jones
Juan Mata
Chris Smalling
Marcos Rojo
Sergio Romero
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe

Chelsea
Ross Barkley
Tammy Abraham
Michy Batshuayi
Fikayo Tomori
Victor Moses
Lucas Piazon
Ethan Ampadu
Danny Drinkwater
Marco van Ginkel
Kenedy

Leicester
Wes Morgan
Demarai Gray
Marc Albrighton
Islam Slimani
Kelechi Iheanacho
Daniel Amartey
Adrien Silva
Matty James
Rachid Ghezzal

Spurs
Danny Rose 
Kyle Walker-Peters
Erik Lamela
Eric Dier
Juan Foyth
Cameron Carter-Vickers

I can't see many on this list who fit both criteria above (bolded ones I think fit), also as others have said, buying these fringe players hasn't worked well for the likes of Everton, Palace or West Ham recently. And even if we look at the bolded, how much will they cost?

Looking at Championship to PL, we have: (and this is a list combined from my memory recently and last year's transfer window)

Maddison
Bowen
Konsa
Mepham
Kelly
Sessegnon
Billing
Jack Clarke
Freeman
Robinson
Pieters
Lowton
Westwood
Daniel James
Rodriguez
Mooy
Wood

Obviously some misses there, but mostly solid PL players. As much as I think just shopping in the championship is not a recipe for success, it is incredibly foolish to discount it, or even be skeptical really. 

I think most of those fringe players would improve us to be honest. But it would destroy our current wage structure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bit harsh to say Stones and Barkley have done **** all. Stones has 85 appearances and Barkley 50. Yes neither of them proved to be good enough for Man City and Chelsea but I think they would be very good players for us.  

Stones is possibly the worst defender to play at a top team, never seen him win a header or a tackle. Half decent on the ball

Barkley is a vanilla player, offers nothing in games. Both got far from media hype and an english passport

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Because I am a sad bastard, I went through the squads of the top 6, looking at rej-, sorry fringe players and compiled a list below.

How many of these would we want? And more importantly, how many would actually come??

Plop
Divock Origi
Xherdan Shaqiri
Harry Wilson

Citeh
Oleksandr Zinchenko
Angelino
Nicolás Otamendi
Eric García
Jon Stones

United
Andreas Pereira
Jesse Lingard
Phil Jones
Juan Mata
Chris Smalling
Marcos Rojo
Sergio Romero
Timothy Fosu-Mensah
Axel Tuanzebe

Chelsea
Ross Barkley
Tammy Abraham
Michy Batshuayi
Fikayo Tomori
Victor Moses
Lucas Piazon
Ethan Ampadu
Danny Drinkwater
Marco van Ginkel
Kenedy

Leicester
Wes Morgan
Demarai Gray
Marc Albrighton
Islam Slimani
Kelechi Iheanacho
Daniel Amartey
Adrien Silva
Matty James
Rachid Ghezzal

Spurs
Danny Rose 
Kyle Walker-Peters
Erik Lamela
Eric Dier
Juan Foyth
Cameron Carter-Vickers

I can't see many on this list who fit both criteria above (bolded ones I think fit), also as others have said, buying these fringe players hasn't worked well for the likes of Everton, Palace or West Ham recently. And even if we look at the bolded, how much will they cost?

Looking at Championship to PL, we have: (and this is a list combined from my memory recently and last year's transfer window)

Maddison
Bowen
Konsa
Mepham
Kelly
Sessegnon
Billing
Jack Clarke
Freeman
Robinson
Pieters
Lowton
Westwood
Daniel James
Rodriguez
Mooy
Wood

Obviously some misses there, but mostly solid PL players. As much as I think just shopping in the championship is not a recipe for success, it is incredibly foolish to discount it, or even be skeptical really. 

Forgot about Shaqiri. Worth a cheeky £15m bid?

Edit: or loan?

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand your point and it would be folly of me to dismiss it out of hand....But we are trying, I think to raise our profile.

Every player is a gamble, i think we agree on that.....I just think taking from below is a huge gamble and unlikely to raise our profile.....look no one is right on this, just stating my opinion.

E.G i am not proposing we follow the Man City model, because we can't compete financially, who can........but they changed their profile from the Mark Hughes and  Peter Reid days.....when they signed Robinho, they made a statement of intent and the rest is history.

He was apparently on 160k a week which at the time made him one of the highest paid players in the world. 

How do we make that kind of statement of intent?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was apparently on 160k a week which at the time made him one of the highest paid players in the world. 

As I said above, the likes of Dybala/Bale/Neymar, for 150m and 300k a week.

It won't happen, not in this day and age, never mind how rich our owners are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hmmmmmm tricky, if true.

well one alternative is the status quo.

but I think we are all touching on extremes now.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Stones is possibly the worst defender to play at a top team, never seen him win a header or a tackle. Half decent on the ball

Barkley is a vanilla player, offers nothing in games. Both got far from media hype and an english passport

I still think they are more than good enough for a mid table Premier League team. They both have over 30 caps each too.

I see where you’re coming from with them both being overrated though.

40 minutes ago, sne said:

The City, Plop, Barca and so on tactic rests on their players winning the ball back as early and as high up the pitch as possible. The exact opposite to park the buss. It's the attackers and wide forwards that do the bulk of their defending.

couldn't agree more....just not seen much reference to it on here, like you have illustrated.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

As I said above, the likes of Dybala/Bale/Neymar, for 150m and 300k a week.

It won't happen, not in this day and age, never mind how rich our owners are.

Sad thing is that apart from Dybala ( who is on a paltry £225k week) the other 2 would have to reduce their salaries by quite a bit to agree to a £300k/ week contract.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

couldn't agree more....just not seen much reference to it on here, like you have illustrated.

Kind of helps when you have the best players in the world to do the defending from the front.  Being top players are not just about having better technique. They are also much fitter and certain cases stronger players in my opinion.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Good chances Leeds will land both Benrahma and Watkins.

Bielsa will be a big factor for players deciding between clubs.

It's just a huge benefit you get by having a high profile coach.

Depends, do they have £50m to spend on top of the money they have already spent on Costa, Meslier and Augustin if they can't wriggle their way out of that deal?

They also need money to replace Ben White in defense.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Sad thing is that apart from Dybala ( who is on a paltry £225k week) the other 2 would have to reduce their salaries by quite a bit to agree to a £300k/ week contract.

but he went from Palermo to Juventus for 32 million Euros'...... we are in that market according to reports now.

We need to be intrepid moving forward.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Kind of helps when you have the best players in the world to do the defending from the front.  Being top players are not just about having better technique. They are also much fitter and certain cases stronger players in my opinion.

I agree.

something to aim for then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but he went from Palermo to Juventus for 32 million Euros'...... we are in that market according to reports now.

Did you not see the 225k a week part mate? We can pay the fees. It’s the wages we can’t manage.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

5 years ago. That's £70m-£100m signing now. IMO we are a year or 3 away from that type of signings.

• Like 1