Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We shouldn't be signing the rejects from the top teams. It has been a strategy for Everton and West Ham in recent times with no success

There's only a handful from the top clubs that have been sold and done well. Most of these are youngsters not given a chance.

Bertrand, Ben foster and Jonny Evans are the only ones that I would take... in the last 10 years (realistically) from man utd, Liverpool and Chelsea that have departed.

The rest are very expensive, big wages and unrealistic. Not a policy I advocate at all.

15 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The war chest hasn't been confirmed. Nothing has been confirmed. Every year football news in newspapers is shown up to be fiction.

Case in point: every single year, 99% of our signings come out of nowhere.

There is no evidence here! No evidence in the Sunday Mirror article, and not in all those tweets unless it is one of the very very rare journalists who seem to have a link with the club, which definitely happens from time to time. I think it's interesting to talk about the rumours and so on, but I think we're all mostly old enough to put them in perspective, surely?

The only definite fact we have is from history, and it's that the club does a lot of things we and the journalists don't have a clue about.

True....but many of the players rumoured last summer.....arrived.

Luiz -Nakamba-Engels- Trez.....were all well speculated.

there is no smoke without fire.....but you make a fair point.

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Ha yes. And then, when things don't happen very quickly, there's always a dramatic problem that might ruin the deal. But usually doesn't (if the deal is real).

Bang on the money, we could get a job working for the Birmingham mail👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

There's only a handful from the top clubs that have been sold and done well. Most of these are youngsters not given a chance.

Bertrand, Ben foster and Jonny Evans are the only ones that I would take... in the last 10 years (realistically) from man utd, Liverpool and Chelsea that have departed.

The rest are very expensive, big wages and unrealistic. Not a policy I advocate at all.

But these players are NOT rejects, certainly the ones I am intimating...... they just can't push out world class players.

The interpretation, is what's iffy.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We shouldn't be signing the rejects from the top teams. It has been a strategy for Everton and West Ham in recent times with no success

This, really. Most of our best signings have been players on the way up - Young, Milner, Benteke etc. - rather than those who have proven that they aren't up to snuff. Most of the time you're signing someone who is depressed because they found out that they aren't good enough, and it's a lottery as to whether they can recover - Sidwell, Drinkwater etc. Signing youngsters who were never given a chance is different because they haven't had their belief taken away, and can be very determined to prove that they were worth a damn - Douglas Luiz comes to mind. 

Personally, I'd be very keen to look at who Arsenal will accept bids for because so many of their youngsters come good after leaving. 

7 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Danny Ings

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Tom Heaton hasn't done so bad 😉

I agree though Evans is probably the exception as he was a senior player at United and has pushed on after leaving, Smalling might be another but players who got a big deal and do **** all like Barkley, Stones etc are not worth touching 

Just now, TRO said:

To be fair Luiz was completely out of the blue, nobody had even heard of him until some kid posted a list on Twitter and his name was included, up to that point the media had no idea at all, the transfer took a while to go through because of work permits etc. but it wasn't leaked until pretty much done. Same for Engels, that was a total shock, nobody had heard of him then a day or so later he was signed. The odd journalist (usually from abroad) might give you something a day or two in advance but the press in this country get nothing until the deal is done.

Nakamba is a different story, I'd imagine his agent leaked the interest to put pressure on Brugge to sell him, as he was desperate to get out, but that situation is fairly rare. With Trezeguet he was linked, but then so was half of the Turkish League judging by their media, even when Smith went to watch an AFCON game we weren't 100% sure it was Trezeguet we were looking at.

We don't let much out unless we know the deal is done nowadays, and I think that is the correct way to do business, there will likely be a couple this window we won't hear a peep about until a contract is being signed.

Last summer the UK press linked us with a whole load of people we didn't buy and were likely never interested in, and there will be plenty of that again this window.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The point is we definitely have a different aim comparing to Everton or West Ham at least for a couple years.

If the definition of success is to be mid-table comfortably I'd argue what they're doing might bring us success.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Tom Heaton hasn't done so bad 😉

I agree though Evans is probably the exception as he was a senior player at United and has pushed on after leaving, Smalling might be another but players who got a big deal and do **** all like Barkley, Stones etc are not worth touching 

I think Heaton must've left more than 10 years ago then. Can't see me missing him off the list. Michael Keane was another one, not sure on him though. Overrated to me.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

There were far more fires that were nonsense though. I think most of those people were announced from actual journalists in the respective countries, not from the shitty British tabloids. The random tweet from a random Beligian journalist usually came very late in the process. It's inevitable that eventually, when the story finally breaks there'll be a lot of journalists jumping on the bandwagon, but that doesn't mean the day-to-day rumours are any better than fiction.

Do you really use that 'no smoke without fire' principle with the tabloids? I mean the rumours are mostly, demonstrably bullshit. That's quite a perplexing statement.

Edited by Rolta

14 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I see people seem to think the amount of money we spend on a striker is a meassurement of the ambition level. I disagree.

Wesley made his debut for Brazil in November and players that get into that team should also make it into our team. Just because he didn't hit the ground running doesn't mean he won't make it here. 

Traore (now Wolves), Ayew (now Crystal Palace), Amavi (now Marseille), Veretout (now AS Roma) and Gueye (now PSG) didn't hit the ground running in our relegation season, but they have proved they are good players since then. Similar things might happen, not only with Wesley, but with quite a few of our players. 

What we need now is to upgrade a few positions, and add much needed quality to the squad rather than spending most of the money on just a striker. 

But that doesn't mean the owners aren't ambitious. It's just that the club need to reach a certain plateau before it's ready to move to the next one. The next one is mid table, and we reach that by adding more players that are decent, but not spectacular. It's not Wesley that need a replacement, it's Taylor, Lansbury, Hourihane, Jota, Nyland and so on. It's a squad game, and even more now, when it's five subs. Where we are now It's better to replace Watkins with Eze at half time, than Edouard with Keinan Davis.

I hope we buy players on their way up, from the Championship and elsewhere, rather than rejects from top teams. 

Absolutely this. Young, energetic, hungry for success players. In turn if they are successful with a much higher ceiling if it goes well.  

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

But these players are NOT rejects, certainly the ones I am intimating...... they just can't push out world class players.

The interpretation, is what's iffy.

But the selling club has to be willing to sell. For the right price and for the correct wage. I don't think the type of player you are intimating would be available for the right price and wage. 

These top clubs play so many gamesz that they require a squad. The reason the list of players that have departed these clubs is poor is because these clubs know the importance of the kind of player you are intimating. Pushing the realism further away and the price further up!

10 hours ago, Nabby said:

Season starts 12th Sept ,Window open untill 31st Oct ..seems far too long to me ..

We might need it to be that long, if we don't start bringing players in soon. 

3 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think Heaton must've left more than 10 years ago then. Can't see me missing him off the list. Michael Keane was another one, not sure on him though. Overrated to me.

He left United in summer 2010 but was released not sold

14 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I see people seem to think the amount of money we spend on a striker is a meassurement of the ambition level. I disagree.

Wesley made his debut for Brazil in November and players that get into that team should also make it into our team. Just because he didn't hit the ground running doesn't mean he won't make it here. 

Traore (now Wolves), Ayew (now Crystal Palace), Amavi (now Marseille), Veretout (now AS Roma) and Gueye (now PSG) didn't hit the ground running in our relegation season, but they have proved they are good players since then. Similar things might happen, not only with Wesley, but with quite a few of our players. 

What we need now is to upgrade a few positions, and add much needed quality to the squad rather than spending most of the money on just a striker. 

But that doesn't mean the owners aren't ambitious. It's just that the club need to reach a certain plateau before it's ready to move to the next one. The next one is mid table, and we reach that by adding more players that are decent, but not spectacular. It's not Wesley that need a replacement, it's Taylor, Lansbury, Hourihane, Jota, Nyland and so on. It's a squad game, and even more now, when it's five subs. Where we are now It's better to replace Watkins with Eze at half time, than Edouard with Keinan Davis.

I hope we buy players on their way up, from the Championship and elsewhere, rather than rejects from top teams. 

I agree with much of this,

we sell or get rid of players only to see them flourish elsewhere.

we need a clear direction on the football style and systems we want to play and then buy accordingly. 

otherwise you just end up with square pegs in round holes.

we know that there are options at relegated clubs who would suit and we should look there and also at championship sides.

we look much better after lockdown when counter attacking, I’d look for blistering pace and first touch as key attributes.