Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Wonder how much gold there will be in this year's war chest. Can we do another £150 mill, plus sales?  

So far I have loved the owners but this summer will really show us their ambitions because a relaxed FFP and less competition because a lot of clubs will be struggling financially because of the COVID lockdown means we should be able to get some real talent at good prices to really advance our team. 

It doesnt necessarily have to be big amounts but adding real quality to this squad (which usually comes at a price normally) is needed.  If we buy similar types of players to last season then we arent as ambition as we had hoped but still thankful to the owners but I'm really hoping we push the boat out a bit more because we are in an environment that we can take advantage. 

• Like 4

I wonder how much Dwight McNeil would cost. I like the idea of bringing in Prem quality that weakens our close rivals. He has 3 years left on his deal, with an option of a 4th I think, so I doubt he’d be cheap.

If the price is £25m for Eze, I’d still go for him. That was the price for Benrahma, and now supposedly Chelsea want him. All it takes is for one £25m signing to get 10 goals in the Prem and suddenly they become valued at £30-50m. 

10 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Wonder how much gold there will be in this year's war chest. Can we do another £150 mill, plus sales?  

I’m sure in that post-promotion interview last year, Purslow said something along the lines of “there’s no reason a newly promoted club shouldn’t spend all of the TV money (£120m-ish) to strengthen their side”.

Obviously that was around a first season back in the Prem, but if the ambitious talk is to be believed (getting back to top 10 and challenging for Europe etc) then I think we’ll do the same again. £120-130m ‘war chest’ plus any big money we get for Jack and tiny money we get for Kalinic/Hogan etc.

• Like 1

We could do with a 'statement' signing early doors so as to help persuade Jack we mean business, and make ourselves more attractive to other signings who probably still look at us as relegation fodder as things stand. Not sure who that is but I would think they would need to come from abroad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Condimentalist said:

We could do with a 'statement' signing early doors so as to help persuade Jack we mean business, and make ourselves more attractive to other signings who probably still look at us as relegation fodder as things stand. Not sure who that is but I would think they would need to come from abroad. 

Nah, we need Tammy (long shot I know but would be a great statement of intent for me)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

You pay for the luxury that it won't take him 6-8 months to settle into a new country and English football. The blokes got talent, it's less of a risk that he won't perform.

We got away with it this year but we need a balance between settled players in the English leagues and players that are better value for money but take time to settle. 

Whilst he’s settled in English football, he’s barely played in the top flight in any country and definitely never know the Prem. It’s still a huge gamble 

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whilst he’s settled in English football, he’s barely played in the top flight in any country and definitely never know the Prem. It’s still a huge gamble 

Has there been examples of players consistently being among the better players in the championship, but hasn't kept up with the PL? If so, who? Especially among wingers and strikers. 

Genuine question. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Has there been examples of players consistently being among the better players in the championship, but hasn't kept up with the PL? If so, who? Especially among wingers and strikers. 

Genuine question. 

Off the top of my head: Patrick Bamford, Rudy Gestede, Ryan Sessegnon, Dwight Gayle (did okay for Newcastle this season), Che Adams, Callum Robinson, Tom Cairney (maybe harsh)..... our own Joe Lolley? 

It’s a hard thing to judge, as you could look at those names (and many more) and say they were great at Championship level but just needed more quality around them in the Prem.... or it could just be that they never adapted to the higher level. Sessegnon obviously still has time. He’s young and it’s difficult to break through at Spurs. 

• Thanks 1

We need to be a bit more intelligent in the transfer market rather than naive as I think we have been recently.

I saw a list of Everton players that they have bought over the last few years, some of these players cost more than 20 million each and virtually all have been duds.

We have enough duds in the present team without adding to it.

Regards to all

Derek

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Really not buying Bemrahma hype. Definitely better value available elsewhere 

He was by far the best player in the Championship last season.  He's the reason why Brentford are in the playoffs and were chasing the automatic promotion spot.  

1 hour ago, Condimentalist said:

Id try get countinho on loan. No one really wants him but man that would be so statement. 

With Luiz and wes here too it might tempt him

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id try get countinho on loan. No one really wants him but man that would be so statement. 

With Luiz and wes here too it might tempt him

Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Villa - hell of a trajectory. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

£££ talks and as i say a loan to show he still has it might be a good option with both parties

Money does talk but to do that kind of talking to Coutinho would put him on probably 2/3x all our other best players. 

Don't get me wrong would love to see it but its a long shot I think. Tonev distance.... and probably going to end up in the same place. 

Just throwing some more names into the discussion:

For Wings:

• Mounir Chouiar
  • Raphinha
  • Ludovic Blas

I know we kinda want proven players though, especially for wings 🤦‍♂️

Striker:

• Domenico Berardi? Would that even be possible?

I also wonder what big names are actually feasible for us🤷‍♂️