Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

25 minutes ago, sne said:

Agreed, but that doesn't make Taylor a competent enough squad option. The state of our bench yesterday was scary due to injuries and lack of quality. Elmo was the only defender.

We have the makings of a mid table first 11 but the bench of a relegation candidate. We can only do so much in one window and this one has been great, but I hope we continue to improve the squad and starting 11. If not now then in January.

Top post. I honestly don't understand why some posters are so against players coming in to replace our current first team as you state. We're one or two injuries, suspension, covid quarantine away from having a scabby team again. 

We've got one top 4 player. 2 top 6 players (Barkley, Emi) about 4 top 10 players ( Mings, Konsa, Luiz and Watkins) and the rest of yesterday's starting 11 along with Traore and Hourihane are PL standard.

Beyond that we're weak. I'm not including Wes and Heaton in that analysis because we don't know where they're at. Guilbert, AEG and Engels fall in between the Premier League and Championship level so can possibly do a job. And Elmo is the versatile one.

I know we won't sort out squad in one window but ideally we need to strengthen at every opportunity.

Edited by Sulberto21
Forgot Nakamba is probably ok for the Premier League too.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He hasn’t said anything there that hasn’t already been said over the last two weeks. He certainly doesn’t rule Rashica out, he actually pauses for a moment when asked and makes sure he doesn’t mention him specifically.

He answers the question about Jota leaving and making way for Rashica/other players by saying, ‘No, not really, Jota’s a player we couldn’t give minutes to’ and then says he has lots of options and he is unsure if anyone else will come in. 

I’m sorry, but no way is that a categorical ‘No’ to signing anyone else. It’s the same old, ‘don’t want to stockpile players’ line and ‘we’ll see what happens’.

Two days ago, Smith reiterated that signings would still happen if players left, now Jota has. That statement in the clip mirrors that. 

As I said last night, Preece took that statement and extrapolated to equal no Rashica. Which itself is factually misleading. 

Can someone get Firminho from Konsa's pocket please? And can Luiz and McginniestaZidaneBauer send Fabinho Wijanldum and Keita back to Liverpool please social distancing and all that jazz. 

Edited by Sulberto21

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Here's the smoking gun everyone is asking for:   Dean responding to question about Rashica.   Certainly doesn't look like we're after him.

Based on that and absolutely nothing else I think we will see one more come through the door today “the opportunity presented itself”

Deano always says that, transfers get to the stage where the manager is no longer involved and its in the hands of the CEO and sporting director, Add to that the fact that the manager is involved in a big match (which we won by the way, yes, won m 7-2 against one of the best teams in the world) weekend and the manager is probably not up to speed straight after a game ( which we won 7-2 ).

Whatever happens, happens but we do need top a high quality 18 for match days and we do not have that.

13 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Two days ago, Smith reiterated that signings would still happen if players left, now Jota has. That statement in the clip mirrors that. 

As I said last night, Preece took that statement and extrapolated to equal no Rashica. Which itself is factually misleading. 

Unless I imagined it, @TrentVilla said Preece is one of the more reliable sources of insider knowledge.

• Haha 1

I don't think we will sign Rashica, but fwiw I don't think what Deano said actually means we won't be signing Rashica. He seems to be pretty careful about mentioning names unless it's done. He basically just covered all bases by taking the "we're happy with what we got". His position is clearly, if something happens then good. If something doesn't happen I will inform the squad I'm happy with what we have. Which is probably smart management. 

• Like 1

I can see why Preece thought that, Smith is clearly addressing the first half of the question regarding Jota’s departure. He’s not going to speculate on names. It’s still not accurate in my opinion. It’s too much of a politicians answer. Transfers will be fall on Lange and others. 

I think we're done to be honest. I'd have liked to have seen Benrahma but I doubt the club are willing to meet Brentford's price tag. Ollie was a little different because it was a position on the pitch that needed strengthening. Still, like I've said before would love to see how he does in the Premiership.

Glad Smith as cleared up the Milot situation, think that's been dead for a while now. Just papers writing any old crap for clicks. 

Just now, romavillan said:

spacer.png

no no no no no no no, after yesterdays game, conceding 2 and missing sitters through silly circumstances, we need to bring better players in, Taylor, AEG, Davis out or on loan and bring in 3 more, that 11 need pushing to the limit.

serious kanye west GIF

No joke, I'm serious. 

• Haha 2

We may still see an in or two but I'd say it's a question of someone like a couple of keepers, or Lansbury or AEG moving on first. 

I like though how Smith keeps saying we don't want to be stockpiling players, but the way we've been snapping up youth prospects suggests otherwise 😊

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 1

The only reason we’re still not talking about Rashica as almost being a done deal is because Ashley Preece decided we weren’t signing him based on an interview he wasn’t part of, where Dean Smith reiterated he was happy with his squad and confirmed Jota was surplus to requirements. 

I’m confident it will happen. Several respected journalists have said it’s happening, or close to happening, with a 5yr contract lined up (something we’ve been doing a lot of lately).

Get excited.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

no no no no no no no, after yesterdays game, conceding 2 and missing sitters through silly circumstances, we need to bring better players in, Taylor, AEG, Davis out or on loan and bring in 3 more, that 11 need pushing to the limit.

serious kanye west GIF

No joke, I'm serious. 

I'm just going to ignore that we are 3 games in and I'm with you. Rashica, CB, LB and we push hard for a top 8 finish and hope for a Europa spot.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The only reason we’re still not talking about Rashica as almost being a done deal is because Ashley Preece decided we weren’t signing him based on an interview he wasn’t part of, where Dean Smith reiterated he was happy with his squad and confirmed Jota was surplus to requirements. 

I’m confident it will happen. Several respected journalists have said it’s happening, or close to happening, with a 5yr contract lined up (something we’ve been doing a lot of lately).

Get excited.

Is there a market on us not signing him? I'm interested