Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Who is Ante Budimir?

Spanish newspaper Marca have claimed that both Aston Villa and Sheffield United have made enquiries to sign Mallorca striker Ante Budimir after a stunning 2019-20 campaign in Spain’s top tier.

Budimir, 29, even earned a call-up to Croatia’s side last season after netting 13 goals in 35 La Liga appearances. Despite that solid form, which included a brace against Barcelona in December 2019, Budimir could not prevent Mallorca from being relegated.

Now, the report claims both Villa and Sheffield United have made enquiries to land the striker. It is believed Mallorca rate Budimir at a fee in the region of £13.5million, a figure which has seen Villarreal opt against splashing out.

I'm sceptical. Much rather we went for Jota.
If we bough all the world's Jotas, we would win matches by confusing the hell out of the opposition.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I though he was alleged to be fat :)

But seriously he is here. He got a bad injury, couldn't access full medical/physio assistance during lockdown, came back played a few games but was unsurprisingly not anywhere close to match sharp, then we had another break...then 1 game back. It's "normal" for players to take a while to get back match sharpness and so on after lay-offs. He'll get there.

He was also fantastic against a pretty strong Man Utd side in pre season. Very close to the John McGinn of old for me. He certainly looks fitter now, playing against teams with a low block isn't going to bring out the best of him which partly explains his less than perfect game I think. He was trying to push for a goal but he isn't the tricky player to thread the eye of a needle. I am very confident we will see the old Super John soon. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

He was also fantastic against a pretty strong Man Utd side in pre season. Very close to the John McGinn of old for me. He certainly looks fitter now, playing against teams with a low block isn't going to bring out the best of him which partly explains his less than perfect game I think. He was trying to push for a goal but he isn't the tricky player to thread the eye of a needle. I am very confident we will see the old Super John soon. 

FWIW - me too. I like McGinn and think his heart and mind are in the right place. I'm aware that kind of superb shape isn't just like that to replicate and I'm prepared to give him the time he needs to get there. Might still point it out if I think he has a weak match, but that doesn't mean I'm writing him off.

40 minutes ago, sne said:

Ludwig Augustinsson would likely cost less than half of what Rico Henry is rumored to be if £20m is correct, and he's a better player. The Championship premium is ridiculous.

Henry is also tiny, being only 5ft 7, not that that is the most important thing for a LB but still.

I've seen Henry a few times. Most recently the championship play off final. What stood out is his size and his physicality. Finds it very difficult to mind the ball when he's been pressed and invariably ends up on the floor a fair bit. If he was an exceptional ball player, those things might negate what i said but i don't think he is. The danger with been linked to players from Brentford is that you get clouded that they are all class. Probably have 2 to 3 quality players. We bought one of them 2 weeks. They aren't littered with quality throughout. 2 to 3 quality players mixed with some good, decent - ish players can make you very competitive in the championship. 

• Like 1

McGinn will find his form again. I'm sure of it. Far too good for the Championship and started great in the PL. It wasnt a purple patch. He is genuinely good.

However, it makes sense to have other genuine options to choose from. Hourihane is a championship player with a PL set piece. Lansbury is... terrible. We only have kids otherwise in that CM box to box role.

2 hours ago, deeps said:

3 in still me thinks. LW. CM. ST. Would love another CB. 

I don’t think we’re in for both a ST and LW. We’re in for a player who can cover ST and LW/RW in the same way that Bertrand  an play RW and ST and Watkins can play ST/LW.

That for me is either Sarr or Brewster.

It’s possible we could go for a winger like Benrahma or Rashica, but then Bertrand would be our no 2 ST.

The first priority for me is a permanent left sided player. I would like another midfield player, a defender and a striker too. Perhaps loan signings could do the job there (loans with options to buy if possible or purchases with a buy back if necessary). I'm thinking about players like Brewster, Axel and Loftus-Cheek for the last three places and Benrahma, "he whose name escapes me" or someone else equally good for the left sided role. 

21 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I've seen Henry a few times. Most recently the championship play off final. What stood out is his size and his physicality. Finds it very difficult to mind the ball when he's been pressed and invariably ends up on the floor a fair bit. If he was an exceptional ball player, those things might negate what i said but i don't think he is. The danger with been linked to players from Brentford is that you get clouded that they are all class. Probably have 2 to 3 quality players. We bought one of them 2 weeks. They aren't littered with quality throughout. 2 to 3 quality players mixed with some good, decent - ish players can make you very competitive in the championship. 

That’s all very well and fair even if I don’t fully agree with it. But Lord above......Rico’s a flipping better option as cover to Taylor.

But sure, only if the price is right.

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

Exactly. This is why we need more players.

Bertrand could fill the role, Trez and El Ghazi too. I’m sure whether we bring in another ST/LW/RW they’ll also be able to fill that role to some extent.

SJM could get pushed forward, Ramsey could get the call.

DS might go for a different formation....a 3-5-2.

We have a lot of options there, but sure none as good as Jack.... but he’s an £80m player so we can’t expect to have that level of player on the bench.