Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

50 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I think the current squad, staying fit all season is good enough to comfortably stay up. The problem is depth. Just look at our attacking options on the bench against Sheff Utd; El Ghazi and Davis. I know Traore can be added to that but it's still not enough. Two or three injuries to key players and do we have capable replacements?

For me, a first team quality wide attacker is an absolute must. Then a centre mid, centre back cover and striker cover. The loan market could be just what we need to use.

We don't need another striker if we sign a winger as traore is a perfectly good back up. And whilst people shit on trez and el ghazi they are both capable of being first choices for a bottom 5 team in the prem. Having them as cover for our 2 wing positions is perfectly fine and I wouldn't mind playing them as long as jack is moved back to the middle.

I would say a LB is a bigger priority than a CM as I think mcginn being forced into a deeper role by jack moving centrally would make us so much better. Targett has proven time and time again he can't defend and I don't think he is good enough at attacking to justify his place in the team and having Taylor as the back up is uninspiring. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We don't need another striker if we sign a winger as traore is a perfectly good back up. And whilst people shit on trez and el ghazi they are both capable of being first choices for a bottom 5 team in the prem. Having them as cover for our 2 wing positions is perfectly fine and I wouldn't mind playing them as long as jack is moved back to the middle.

I would say a LB is a bigger priority than a CM as I think mcginn being forced into a deeper role by jack moving centrally would make us so much better. Targett has proven time and time again he can't defend and I don't think he is good enough at attacking to justify his place in the team and having Taylor as the back up is uninspiring. 

Targett is our weakest defender. All last season teams targeted his flank far more than Freddie’s 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Targett is our weakest defender. All last season teams targeted his flank far more than Freddie’s 

He's OK but his awareness lets him down at times. Watches the ball too much.

17 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder if part of that is also that by attacking down the right, it’s easier to put men on Grealish when possession turns over. Attack down the other flank, and you’re likely leaving Grealish in space.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We are an injury or two away from having issues. We cannot perform major surgery every summer it Imo we need to upgrade LB,CB,CM,LW & ST. A loan here or there makes sense surely ? 

We're a couple of injuries away from being where we were last season before the injuries hit.  If we'd made it through last season with no injuries I think we would have been safe before the last game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

We're a couple of injuries away from being where we were last season before the injuries hit.  If we'd made it through last season with no injuries I think we would have been safe before the last game.

We were very unfortunate last season. Our goalkeeper, CM and forward out for most of the season. 

they say good teams have a good spine on the pitch, we survived with a broken back. Bravo to Villa 

Most teams in the league are a 'couple of injuries away' from it affecting their results. Some positions, squad wise, will be a bit weaker than others when window closes, it's almost impossible to fill all gaps for now.

I'd love a centre back, left back, centre midfielder, left winger and a striker but it's unlikely all those will happen. It's more about being smart with use of squad and getting the 'not as good' players to step up and perform.

Edited by Trickster
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

What did Gabby tweet that he’s now deleted? Anyone see?

I posted it above. Link still works for me don’t know what it didn’t embed like normal. Said there will a nice surprise tomorrow for a few people. I’ve said too much already. 

Edited by villaglint
  • Thanks 1

I really want to see a LW - Rashica or Benrhama please.

But the two big concerns for me are:

• CM where I just don't think we have cover for SJM - a proper box to boxer.  John Swift is the best decently priced option I have seen mooted.  I would also look to sell Nakamba and Hourihane and re-invest in Billings.  We have really suffered in the last two seasons when we lose SJM.  DS loves to play a 4-3-3 and he needs box to box midfielders to make that work and McGinn, and Jack if he moves back, are the only two viable (although I suppose Dougie L an step up) but I just think we need cover here desperately to get through a season.
  • LB as discussed above where I think Targett is probably our weakest link defensively but, worse than that if he is injured, Taylor is really poor and lightweight and doesn't have a clue what to do in the opposition half.  Henry is the obvious choice I know.

A back up striker would be my fourth choice in terms of priorities at this stage.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I posted it above. Link still works for me don’t know what it didn’t embed like normal. Said there will a nice surprise tomorrow for a few people. I’ve said too much already. 

He's deleted it. It might still show for you if you have already seen it.

There are some screen shots of it on Twitter. Basically he said 'nice surprise tomorrow, I've said too much already.' 

9 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I really want to see a LW - Rashica or Benrhama please.

But the two big concerns for me are:

• CM where I just don't think we have cover for SJM - a proper box to boxer.  John Swift is the best decently priced option I have seen mooted.  I would also look to sell Nakamba and Hourihane and re-invest in Billings.  We have really suffered in the last two seasons when we lose SJM.  DS loves to play a 4-3-3 and he needs box to box midfielders to make that work and McGinn, and Jack if he moves back, are the only two viable (although I suppose Dougie L an step up) but I just think we need cover here desperately to get through a season.
  • LB as discussed above where I think Targett is probably our weakest link defensively but, worse than that if he is injured, Taylor is really poor and lightweight and doesn't have a clue what to do in the opposition half.  Henry is the obvious choice I know.

A back up striker would be my fourth choice in terms of priorities at this stage.

Just about spot on I'd say!!