Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Been loving the twitter responses to us possibly getting these players - from spurs and arsenal fans - basically 'how on earth do villa have all this cash?!' - it feels like there is a bit of a shift in power in the prem - not just us either. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Daweii said:

We're not messing around are we...

Matty Cash - £14m + add ons
Ollie Watkins - £28m + add ons
Rashica - £18m (likely + add ons)
Martinez - £16m (likely + add ons)
Traore - £19m (likely + add ons)

£95m on 5 players if we get the the current 3 targets over the line, which is looking likely for Martinez and Rashica. 

I thought I'd be more excited to see Villa splash the cash like this, but I am merely cautiously optimistic. I really hope we're throwing the big money at the right players. 

I'd be thrilled at those players, naturally, but still think we need something else in the middle of the park. Plus i'd have another centre back if we could ship Engels out as well

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Daweii said:

We're not messing around are we...

Matty Cash - £14m + add ons
Ollie Watkins - £28m + add ons
Rashica - £18m (likely + add ons)
Martinez - £16m (likely + add ons)
Traore - £19m (likely + add ons)

£95m on 5 players if we get the the current 3 targets over the line, which is looking likely for Martinez and Rashica. 

I thought I'd be more excited to see Villa splash the cash like this, but I am merely cautiously optimistic. I really hope we're throwing the big money at the right players. 

How much for our hidden CM target 🤔

Because honestly as @TRO and a few other consistently point out, I'm a bit worried that we are again failing to address our need for a Big, Strong midfielder.

It's all good having all these attackers but one of our major issues was being outmuscled and overrun in midfield. Putting our defense under the cosh and inherently leaving our attackers without service 

McGinn and Luiz are Pitbulls but they are not the biggest and I fear when we come up again bigger midfields we could get exposed.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because honestly as @TRO and a few other consistently point out, I'm a bit worried that we are again failing to neglect our need for a Big, Strong midfielder.

It's all good having all these attackers but one of our major issues was being outmuscled and overrun in midfield. Putting our defense under the cosh and inherently leaving our attackers without service 

McGinn and Luiz are Pitbulls but they are not the biggest and I fear when we come up again bigger midfields we could get exposed.

This.

Watching the West Ham game and Soucek is a beast. Someone like that would be great in our squad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Been loving the twitter responses to us possibly getting these players - from spurs and arsenal fans - basically 'how on earth do villa have all this cash?!' - it feels like there is a bit of a shift in power in the prem - not just us either. 

Thing is those clubs have already done what we’re doing and on much grander scales so they’re now weighed down with the fallout and the high wage bills.

Coupled with a drop off in revenue I can see why those two clubs in particular might not be able to freely splash the cash.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Thing is those clubs have already done what we’re doing and on much grander scales so they’re now weighed down with the fallout and the high wage bills.

Coupled with a drop off in revenue I can see why those two clubs in particular might not be able to freely splash the cash.

That’s exactly the point these players we sign if they are successful they will want wage increases as will our handful of existing successful players which eats future budgets.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because honestly as @TRO and a few other consistently point out, I'm a bit worried that we are again failing to neglect our need for a Big, Strong midfielder.

It's not all about size, another the height of Dougie and McGinn with their heart and ability would be more welcome than a lump who can win headers (when 90% of the game at Prem level is seemingly played on the floor) but isn't that technically gifted. 

Liverpool have/had Wij/Henderson/Fabinho/Keita. 

Chelsea - Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Barkley

City - Fernandinho, Gundogan, Fodan, Silva, Rodri (actually decent size) 

Most of the top sides aren't about height in the middle of the park these days. It would be nice to have height along with talent but reading the game, being in the right place is just as, if not more important to me. 

Soucek at West Spam is a nice example of a good mix. Santamaria could be that guy. 

Buendia for example has the tenacity, willingness to scrap defensively yet has the creativity going forward too. Lacking in height but I think his play would offer more overall than we'd lose from his lack of height. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

That’s exactly the point these players we sign if they are successful they will want wage increases as will our handful of existing successful players which eats future budgets.

Paying high wages is fine if you’re successful but the moment the results and performances start dropping it becomes an issue.

• Like 1

I like what we are doing here.  Jack was successful on the left but he’s got bags of ability and experience playing centrally.  We want to keep him around and build the team around him and we are doing it.  Move him where he wants to go and construct it to fit.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

In fairness to Spurs, they don’t really have sugar daddies, they earned their money and I respect that, but the rest of them can do one, we are the Giant that has been asleep too long. I think we are seeing a glimpse of the seriousness of our owners, and how we perhaps might see a ‘sustainable’ oligarch (Chelsea/Man City) injection of cash. 

This feels like the real deal, every summer is an exponential improvement, challenging for the top 5/6 no longer seems a sound bite.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yeah, just us. Swinging our big thug dick around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Martinez
Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett
                     Luiz
         McGinn - Grealish
  Traore - Watkins - Rashica 

Well that looks fun 

This is exactly what im thinking!

Traore’ s YT clips look great, but the comments sections are filled with bitter Lyon fans glad to get rid?? Hopefully this guys been scouted because if we sign him and Rashica, then Benrahma, Buendia and Edouard are surely dead?

Edited by thunderball

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Traore’ s YT clips look great, but the comments section are filled with bitter Lyon fans glad to get rid?? Hopefully this guys been scouted because if we sign him and Rashica, Benrahma, Buendia and Edouard are surely dead?

Hopefully it's one of those with bags of ability and pace who has just gone "stale" at a club if you know what I mean?

Some players just need a change of scenery/circumstance.

• Like 3