Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

When you look at it logically though. We signed a RB who was part of a team who got relegated in ligue 1. Bordeaux sold him. Top end players in that league have a hard time cutting it in England. A winger who came from a club in Turkey who wouldn't be top 5 id say. Belgian league ? I mean, it's worse than the Eredivise. We did not sign quality players. It really is that simple.

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

I'm angry and it is reactionary , but for all his clever little turns and shooting ability his general football brain is poor, very poor. 

He played in Spain and no Spanish team came in for him, i wonder why?

It maybe because hes playing in a defensive midfield role with Nakamba, who's equally as poor in the football brain department. But as a midfielder he offers to little for me. Doesn't win his personal battles , hes hopeless in the air , hasn't got the pace to track players and gives countless cheap free kicks away. 

Agree with the player we are seeing now, I’m not sure that’s the player we brought....not sure what has happened to change.  I’m not in the right frame of mind to think anymore, just too angry!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

When you look at it logically though. We signed a RB who was part of a team who got relegated in ligue 1. Bordeaux sold him. Top end players in that league have a hard time cutting it in England. A winger who came from a club in Turkey who wouldn't be top 5 id say. Belgian league ? I mean, it's worse than the Eredivise. We did not sign quality players. It really is that simple.

I agree, we kind of signed decent players with signs of potential but who were playing at a different level. Isn't this exactly what we did the last time we got relegated? Under Lerner.... The "Moneyball" thing? We have simply repeated the same mistake and surprise surprise it's looking like it will have the exact same result.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 16:21, HalfTimePost said:

Assuming we stay up, I'd like to see:

Axel Tuanzebe 

Kalvin Philips

Said Benrahma

Antonee Robinson (Assuming Milans interest was based on the timing of what was available and that they don't come back in for him)

Will Hughes

Pepe Reina (Depending on Heaton fitness)

Out: Lansbury, Elmo OR Taylor, Drinkwater, Green (who I think goes on to be a success, like Robinson), Steer (for his career)

That's probably £100m. Hope we wouldn’t need to sell Jack to spend that, but who knows.

Out.....

be lucky to get a total 12 million tops for these cast offs. Not every club pays silly money for bang ordinary players....

Regards,

VLD.

P.S. throw Wesley in as well, there's another 3 million to the total......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Maybe , but not for £15m, after the season he has had his value will have gone down, 

Perhaps Man. City will just buy him back.

Yes he's not good enough for them now but Pep always seemed to rate him pretty highly and I think he sees him as a Fernandinho type replacement given he played in back 3 lots at Girona sp they'll take a more long term view but get him back in the club.

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I agree, we kind of signed decent players with signs of potential but who were playing at a different level. Isn't this exactly what we did the last time we got relegated? Under Lerner.... The "Moneyball" thing? We have simply repeated the same mistake and surprise surprise it's looking like it will have the exact same result.

I understand what you're saying here but I actually don't think (most of) the individual players are necessarily poor signings. Some haven't worked out (yet) but I don't think any of them are definite duds. 

I think the reason we signed from these tier 2 European leagues is down to one thing - wages. The interview with Purslow from the fans AGM earlier in the week makes for interesting reading in that respect. Because of FFP, we have been unable to pay big salaries and will still be restricted for another year or two in that regard if we stay up. 

Which is not to say that recruitment has been all it could have been - it hasn't. 

If we go down first signing for me would be Dwight Gayle.

Still not that old, not getting much of a look in at Newcastle but proven 20 goal a season striker at that level and you'll be right up there if you have one of those.

Him, Samatta, Davis and even dear old Wesley when he returns is more than fine for that level.

If we go down I think we sell the following for big bucks:

Mings £25m, McGinn £40m, Luiz £15m & Grealish £75m. We might add another £10m from others we let go. That's a whopping £165m. If we spend £85m of that on replacements we still have £80m in the bank to go back up with. Add the £130m we could be guaranteed and that gives us over £200m to spend next time so could bring in much better quality. 

15 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Whilst somewhat true.. then again Drinkwater was already in this league and is hardly pulling up trees is he, think it's too simple to put it down to that.

16 hours ago, useless said:

Westwood was a better player for us in the Premier league than Luiz has been. Luiz is more skillful and has the potential to go further in the game, but as it stands Westwood is a much more consistent steady performer, the £6m that Burnley paid for him turned out to be a real bargain for them.

Westwood was only reasonably good when Delph was around and bringing drive and mobility to central midfield. Got found out like everyone else in there in 15-16. I thought we did well to get 6m for him in the end.

Ultimately now it seems you put a 10m tax just on potential so would still be surprised if we didn't get that back for Luiz.

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Whilst somewhat true.. then again Drinkwater was already in this league and is hardly pulling up trees is he, think it's too simple to put it down to that.

Drinkwater was a massive red flag. We all heard what he was getting up to at Burnley and Dyche said no to him and sent him back. Another poor move from us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Mings £25m, McGinn £40m, Luiz £15m & Grealish £75m. We might add another £10m from others we let go. That's a whopping £165m. If we spend £85m of that on replacements we still have £80m in the bank to go back up with. Add the £130m we could be guaranteed and that gives us over £200m to spend next time so could bring in much better quality. 

Then you have to go out and buy a new squad and listen to the same excuses, witness the same "teething problems" as we've had this season whilst we wait for the team to gel and when they don't the manager just throws them under the number 7 bus. It would be this reoccuring nightmare again. they all signed fresh contracts anyway, and if purslow has included relegation release's then he's thicker than he looks. he would be crazy to let this happen.

keep all the best players and we win the league without loosing a game.

I'd sell Jack when he's 28. He'll have been kicked so many times by then he'll be finished anyway, he won't be running past players anymore . his shins will look like slabs of swiss cheese. it would be like watching joe cole when he come to villa.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Villarocker said:

If we go down I think we sell the following for big bucks:

We’d get more than £25m for Mings, surely? He’s now in the England squad, has proven himself a top centreback since we signed him and we’re not going to sell him for just £2-3m profit on what we paid.

I’d say £35m cut price minimum.