Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

El Ghazi is also a wide player so he was always going to suffer a dip with the new formation as he can't play his natural game. He's not one of our star players currently, but he's far from rubbish, he's been more productive for goals and assits this season than most of our players.

53 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think he’s much better than El Ghazi, he’s much more skilful 

Is he really much better? He faster, stronger, looks like he's dangerous when he gets ball, primarily due to his pace and strength but has arguably less end product. I think El Ghazi has a lot of the raw materials to be better than him. His touch and technique are better, he's pretty rapid as well, has quicker feet than Zaha and his ball striking is better. As people have said he also has better assists and goals stats and that's in a team which he's not the focal point/outlet for the team like Zaha is for Palace. 

On 12/02/2020 at 15:24, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we go down, we just need to get huge fees for the players who will leave us. That means minimum £60m for JG (£80-90m if he gets into the Euros and has a good tournament); £50m for McGinn and £40m for Mings. At least that gives us some money to rebuild to get us back up. 

Clubs will try to buy our best players for peanuts, if the worst does actually happen, but I don't see our owners being taken for mugs. I think they would demand top dollar, for the players that you mention. That would be £100m for Jack, £60m for Tyrone and £60m for JMcG. If clubs want them, we need to adopt the Daniel Levy/Brentford pricing strategies, but we won't need to, because we're staying where we are and so are these players. 😉

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Is he really much better? He faster, stronger, looks like he's dangerous when he gets ball, primarily due to his pace and strength but has arguably less end product. I think El Ghazi has a lot of the raw materials to be better than him. His touch and technique are better, he's pretty rapid as well, has quicker feet than Zaha and his ball striking is better. As people have said he also has better assists and goals stats and that's in a team which he's not the focal point/outlet for the team like Zaha is for Palace. 

I can’t argue with this 

7 minutes ago, John said:

Clubs will try to buy our best players for peanuts, if the worst does actually happen, but I don't see our owners being taken for mugs. I think they would demand top dollar, for the players that you mention. That would be £100m for Jack, £60m for Tyrone and £60m for JMcG. If clubs want them, we need to adopt the Daniel Levy/Brentford pricing strategies, but we won't need to, because we're staying where we are and so are these players. 😉

A Man Utd fan at my work keeps telling me that if we go down, they'll get Grealish for £40-45m. I've told him over and over that we'll hold all the cards if we go down.

I'm sure we've got some sort of gentleman's agreement with Grealish that he can leave if we go down, but the only way that I could see us selling him for less than we want, is if he handed in a transfer request and kicked up a fuss, but there's no chance in hell of that happening because of his love for the club.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I wouldn't class them as "top" players tbh.

Top player to me is someone like Joao Moutinho. Won major trophies, played over 100 times for Portugal and many years in CL. Player you sign who can help improve your level in the 11.

Norwich ones are more potential. For example I like Buendia and he'd give us more than Jota has as a Grealish alternative but doubt he's going to fire us into the top half.

We've done plenty of buying from relegation clubs in last 20 years. Signed good and bad but none have pushed us into the top 4 or won us a trophy. I'd like us to start buying some capable of that, starting this summer.

Or even someone like Neves when they bought him - clearly one of the most promising youngsters in Europe, not as proven as Moutinho but was a major coup for Wolves at that time. We've looked at the sort of players that can get us to that next level (Leao, Piatek) but all they've been are rumours and never gone anywhere. That needs to change if we're to compete with the bigger clubs in the country again. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Top player to me is someone like Joao Moutinho. Won major trophies, played over 100 times for Portugal and many years in CL. Player you sign who can help improve your level in the 11.

Norwich ones are more potential. For example I like Buendia and he'd give us more than Jota has as a Grealish alternative but doubt he's going to fire us into the top half.

We've done plenty of buying from relegation clubs in last 20 years. Signed good and bad but none have pushed us into the top 4 or won us a trophy. I'd like us to start buying some capable of that, starting this summer.

'Signing players to make us capable of pushing top 4 or winning a trophy' is such a hard thing to judge. Only a handful of signings each season will help a team break the top 4 or win a trophy.

Regarding relegation players, we could say that our (historic!) signings of Ashley Young and Downing were 'relegation club' signings that made us capable of what you were hoping. But being capable and actually doing it are two very different things, and the latter is quite an unrealistic aim, in my opinion!

Technically, we've already signed players that are capable of winning us a cup :lol: All that stands in our way is Man City!

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d take him definitely, he’s versatile, works hard, not the most gifted though 

For me he falls into the same bracket as most PL players namely that for the money and salary he'd cost there are countless players both better and way, way cheaper.

He's stalling on a new contract as Spurs so presumably that'll make him a bit cheaper when it comes to transfer fee but more expensive when it comes to signing fee and salary.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I agree about Mourinho but he was 32 when they signed him. You know for a fact many fans would have moaned that we’re are signing overpaid has beens looking for a last pay out had we signed him.

16 minutes ago, John said:

Personally I think McGinn may end up staying even if we go down due to his injury this season and the fact that his form before he got injured was not great for us. If he comes back and plays amazingly maybe someone will cough up the money, but I think if that happens we'll stay up as an in-form McGinn is a major asset for us. I also think teams wouldn't pay the money for Mings as he's too error prone despite having clear leadership skills. Again though, if he gets into the Euros and performs well there'll be a Chelski or Man Poo with lots of money to throw around aimlessly who would probably pay up. Jack G will definitely go if we go down and I'd be delighted to get £100m for him, but I think £80m is more realistic. The owners should certainly be milking the best price for him, gone are the days when we sell star players for less than they are worth to us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

A Man Utd fan at my work keeps telling me that if we go down, they'll get Grealish for £40-45m. I've told him over and over that we'll hold all the cards if we go down.

I'm sure we've got some sort of gentleman's agreement with Grealish that he can leave if we go down, but the only way that I could see us selling him for less than we want, is if he handed in a transfer request and kicked up a fuss, but there's no chance in hell of that happening because of his love for the club.

If we kept holding on to him because we're not getting the offer we wanted, I can see it happening tbh. I'm sure he doesn't want it to let it get to that either but if we're forcing him to stick with us in the Championship when we all know he's way beyond that level I can see him being forced to kick up a fuss.

27 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yes he is. But I can’t  remember if he was that much better about 3 years when he was El Ghazi’s age. 

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

'Signing players to make us capable of pushing top 4 or winning a trophy' is such a hard thing to judge. Only a handful of signings each season will help a team break the top 4 or win a trophy.

Regarding relegation players, we could say that our (historic!) signings of Ashley Young and Downing were 'relegation club' signings that made us capable of what you were hoping. But being capable and actually doing it are two very different things, and the latter is quite an unrealistic aim, in my opinion!

Technically, we've already signed players that are capable of winning us a cup :lol: All that stands in our way is Man City!

Oh I don't expect us to sign 3-4 in the summer who'll get us pushing for top 4. Miles too early in the rebuilding phrase but I'd like to think we can lift the quality to push us into the top 10 at least. Also have to factor in Grealish will be considering offers so need to show him we mean business over next two years. Not sure more Hause and Jota type signings would convince him.

When we signed likes of Young and Downing we had guys like Mellberg, Laursen, Petrov and Carew in the squad so group of players that were regular internationals and had won stuff. We lack that in the current squad so would be good to sign a couple in the summer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sne said:

The fine people at the Daily Mail are claiming we are going to sign Eric Dier in the summer...

I know people seem split on this rumour, but for the right money I'd take him. Whilst he's not the most gifted footballer he is a talent, he can play in midfield or at centre back, he's got good premier league experience which could assist the squad, he's only 26 so fits the profile of a player who could improve and increase in value. He's also got 40 caps for England which isn't to be sniffed at, and he will probably have a point to prove with his next move because he will want to get back in that squad. That could all prove a very good combination for us.

My only concern would be the wages he'd demand.

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

If we kept holding on to him because we're not getting the offer we wanted, I can see it happening tbh. I'm sure he doesn't want it to let it get to that either but if we're forcing him to stick with us in the Championship when we all know he's way beyond that level I can see him being forced to kick up a fuss.

Yeah, I agree, there's no chance he'd stay. He's way too good for the Championship, and deserves to be playing for a Top 6 Prem team, but I don't think his suitors would let it get to the point where they cool their interest completely.

If our owners said "Look, £80m is the minimum we will take. Anything below this is outright rejected", then I think clubs would soon get bored of offering paltry sums just for us to reject it. It might mean that it would go right up until deadline day, but as long as our owners are willing to buy replacements before he's sold, then we should just be able to stand firm until the right money comes in.

If I was a Man Utd fan and saw my club offering £40m, then £45m, then £50m, only for Man City to swoop in with an £80m offer accepted, I'd be furious :D This is what those clubs need to be wary of. Grealish is a special talent, and isn't someone you can get on the cheap!

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Oh I don't expect us to sign 3-4 in the summer who'll get us pushing for top 4. Miles too early in the rebuilding phrase but I'd like to think we can lift the quality to push us into the top 10 at least. Also have to factor in Grealish will be considering offers so need to show him we mean business over next two years. Not sure more Hause and Jota type signings would convince him.

When we signed likes of Young and Downing we had guys like Mellberg, Laursen, Petrov and Carew in the squad so group of players that were regular internationals and had won stuff. We lack that in the current squad so would be good to sign a couple in the summer.

Downing and Young weren't exactly wow signings anyway, Downing was injured when we signed him and despite a number of England caps was always considered lucky to be in the England squad. Young was an exciting youngster who had pace and tricks but our major competition for him was Wet Spam! Everyone at the time also thought we overspent on him, and as much as I loved him when he was at Villa I always thought he was quite a limited player.

I personally thought O’Neill’s highest profile signings at Villa were Petrov and Delph. Petrov was a great signing at the time and many big teams were looking at him (helped O'Neill had signed him previously), and Delph was one of the best English talents in the country. We had to battle hard for those signings.

I personally liked a lot of the players we signed in the early 2000s – Alpay, Mellberg, Laursen, Bouma, Baros (did shiiite for us admittedly), Nilis, Hitz, Angel. A lot of those players had performed at the very highest levels for club and country and surprised we didn't do better when we had those players at the club. That’s the sort of ambition I’d like us to show over the coming seasons.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I’d take him definitely, he’s versatile, works hard, not the most gifted though 

Sorry SGC but I'm gonna disagree with you here, he is utter trash now that his confidence has been smashed to pieces. He would cost too much and be on too high wages for his output...

• Like 1