Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

No real point in comparing transfer fees.

Club x signed player y from club z at that point in time so therefore Grealish must be worth £? at this point in time to us and to whatever club is looking to sign him... 

Insert whatever the correct variables smart people would use 

Edit: and I get the irony of me pulling numbers out of a hat with no relevance in them just a few post earlier :D 

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, sne said:

No real point in comparing transfer fees.

Club x signed player y from club z at that point in time so therefore Grealish must be worth £? at this point in time to us and to whatever club is looking to sign him... 

Insert whatever the correct variables smart people would use 

The transfers I used as examples are all from this season so no adjustment required to reflect the market.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The transfers I used as examples are all from this season so no adjustment required to reflect the market.

Sure, but every situation is different.

Club statures (buying and selling), position and finances, player situation, desire to leave, contract situation and how sought after they are and so on and so on.

Harry Maguire cost £80m so therefore (insert name) should cost (insert price) is not how it works.

41 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Going back to the El Ghazi-Zaha debate. Here's a look at how they've played this season.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 9.29.51 AM.png

A great example of why watching players is just as important and using numbers.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sne said:

Sure, but every situation is different.

Club statures (buying and selling), position and finances, player situation, desire to leave, contract situation and how sought after they are and so on and so on.

Harry Maguire cost £80m so therefore (insert name) should cost (insert price) is not how it works.

Oh absolutely. It’s way too arbitrary to use to place a specific figure on a player.

I do think we can use it as a bottom (or top) line though ie if he’s better than 10 players that went for £30-£40m in this season it stands to reason he’s worth at least £40m. That could obviously mean he’s worth £40,000,001 or £200m.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Really?!

That buys you:

1 Alex Iwobi

almost 1 Joelinton

60% of a Cancelo

1 Bakayako (after 2 years of underperformance) 

Not quite 1 Lo Celso

Just over 1 Ryan Sessegnon

Just over 1 Kieran Trippier

1/2 a Harry Maguire

70% of an Aston Wan Bissaka

1 Seb Haller

I think you’re being incredibly conservative.

Only one of those transfers is from a Championship club, which is what we are in this scenario. If we go with £40m, say, that's about half as much again as Sessegnon. 

£30m has only been received by a Championship club once, for Moussa Sissoko. Pickford, Wijnaldum, Maddison, Sessegnon, all under that level. Sure, Grealish is worth more than those, but he's not going to be worth more than double, I don't think. 

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Going back to the El Ghazi-Zaha debate. Here's a look at how they've played this season.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 9.29.51 AM.png

Interesting. Is that a public website, i’d like to check a few players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Only one of those transfers is from a Championship club, which is what we are in this scenario. If we go with £40m, say, that's about half as much again as Sessegnon. 

£30m has only been received by a Championship club once, for Moussa Sissoko. Pickford, Wijnaldum, Maddison, Sessegnon, all under that level. Sure, Grealish is worth more than those, but he's not going to be worth more than double, I don't think. 

I just don’t buy the championship argument as relevant in this instance. Maybe if they aren’t in demand, but I think a few teams would snap him up if available for £60m or less.

I’m not sure any of those had more than one club bidding for them at the time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think he’s trash? Why? He gets a lot of abuse from fans of all clubs but I think he’s quite good, maybe it’s just me

He is slow, he makes poor decisions, but most of all when he gets the ball he looks scared to have it and can't wait to just get rid of it. He had a good half a season about 3 years ago, but that doesn't make him a good or talented footballer

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I'd take De Bruyne and that's it

Laporte, Walker, Agüero, Jesus, Ederson, Sane, Mahrez, Otamendi, Stones, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Sterling, Foden, David Silva and Bernardo Silva would walk in to our first XI or squad 

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Laporte, Walker, Agüero, Jesus, Ederson, Sane, Mahrez, Otamendi, Stones, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Sterling, Foden, David Silva and Bernardo Silva would walk in to our first XI or squad 

I was being a bit facetious....

Laporte - yes but I love our defenders

Walker - too old

Jesus - yes fair enough

Ederson - yes

Sane - clearly a bad attitude so no

Mahrez - mercenary so no

Otamendi - lol he is a disaster he would not play in any team of mine

Stones - as above 

Gundogan - too old

Fernandinho - too old

Sterling - mercenary so no

Foden - would love him

David Silva - too old

Bernardo Silva - yeah ok

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I was being a bit facetious....

Laporte - yes but I love our defenders

Walker - too old

Jesus - yes fair enough

Ederson - yes

Sane - clearly a bad attitude so no

Mahrez - mercenary so no

Otamendi - lol he is a disaster he would not play in any team of mine

Stones - as above 

Gundogan - too old

Fernandinho - too old

Sterling - mercenary so no

Foden - would love him

David Silva - too old

Bernardo Silva - yeah ok

I thought you were ;)

As good as our defenders are, Laporte is in another league, I think he’s one of the best in the league now

Walker is only 29, I wouldn’t call that young even for a footballer, he’s in his peak years

Smith would coach Sane’s bad attitude out of him, Smith is a people person I think. When Sane is fit and on form, there are few better in the league in my opinion 

Why do you think Mahrez is a mercenary? Because he’s on high wages? I’d wager that pretty much all of their squad are on high wages but it’s not like they can’t afford it 

I think Otamendi is a very solid centre back, why do you think he is a disaster?

Stones is great I think, so good on the ball

Gundogan is only 29, he is in his peak years, I’d love him here

Fernandinho is 34, his best years are probably behind him but he’s still class, I’d take him here

Why do you think Sterling is a mercenary? Because he’s probably on high wages? Well, I think he’s one of the best players in the world now 

David Silva is 34, again his best years are behind him but I’d still love him here, one last swan song

On 12/02/2020 at 23:24, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we go down, we just need to get huge fees for the players who will leave us. That means minimum £60m for JG (£80-90m if he gets into the Euros and has a good tournament); £50m for McGinn and £40m for Mings. At least that gives us some money to rebuild to get us back up. 

I love SJM but no way is he a £50m player that's laughable, besides I think he'd stay for a season if we went down.

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

I love SJM but no way is he a £50m player that's laughable, besides I think he'd stay for a season if we went down.

I think he’d leave if we went down, he’s already shown he’s too good for The Championship. I think he has the potential to be a £50m player but not quite yet 

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Jack has stats better this season than some of the best players in the world—and he's doing it in the Prem at a struggling team. I think you're being negative for no reason.

• Like 1