Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

On 23/02/2020 at 17:54, Villarocker said:

If we go down I think we sell the following for big bucks:

Mings £25m, McGinn £40m, Luiz £15m & Grealish £75m. We might add another £10m from others we let go. That's a whopping £165m. If we spend £85m of that on replacements we still have £80m in the bank to go back up with. Add the £130m we could be guaranteed and that gives us over £200m to spend next time so could bring in much better quality. 

I would struggle to trust our current DOF and head coach to spend that sort of money wisely based on last summer's business.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

I would struggle to trust our current DOF and head coach to spend that sort of money wisely based on last summer's business.

But not his previous business at other clubs. Rebuilding a new squad with a playoff winning team is what he is judged on when we would have made our targets very late in the season as we didn't look like having a chance of going up until April

I think its fair enough to question the quality of our player acquisition. Wesley (may still come good), Nakamba, Trezeguet and El Ghazi cost about 55-60m between them which isn't very good value. Then again, value is not great at the moment across the board, with even bog standard players costing a fortune. But there are relative bargains to be had. Better than we've had anyway. The jury's out I guess.

This club needs a complete overhaul, which considering we've kind of just had one is a bit depressing. A lot of the current squad need to be squad players, or gone.
If we go down we need to speculate on players who could be Premier League players and keep them together to develop an understanding. Like Sheffield United for instance, but with younger more promising players. They need to peak together and in the top flight.That would be post Grealish et al but it's quite possible with smart business and planning.

If we stay up, we need to look HARD at ourselves. Is the coaching, acquisition and planning right? Then throw all our resources at it.
What we cannot do is squander the opportunity NSWE present to us.

13 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I think its fair enough to question the quality of our player acquisition. Wesley (may still come good), Nakamba, Trezeguet and El Ghazi cost about 55-60m between them which isn't very good value. Then again, value is not great at the moment across the board, with even bog standard players costing a fortune. But there are relative bargains to be had. Better than we've had anyway. The jury's out I guess.

This club needs a complete overhaul, which considering we've kind of just had one is a bit depressing. A lot of the current squad need to be squad players, or gone.
If we go down we need to speculate on players who could be Premier League players and keep them together to develop an understanding. Like Sheffield United for instance, but with younger more promising players. They need to peak together and in the top flight.That would be post Grealish et al but it's quite possible with smart business and planning.

If we stay up, we need to look HARD at ourselves. Is the coaching, acquisition and planning right? Then throw all our resources at it.
What we cannot do is squander the opportunity NSWE present to us.

I disagree, we don't need a complete overhaul and it certainly isn't smart business to get rid of 'a lot of the current squad'. What we need is a bit of quality - 2 or 3 players, CB, CM mandatory, third would be an attacker (winger or striker) and we'd be able to get a lot more out of what we've got. 

The situation we found ourselves in last summer was very unusual in football and the sheer number of new players required was always going to be an issue in terms of getting the right guys and them settling in properly. These things take time. 

• Like 1

Two or three quality players will certainly help, but not enough to move out of the relegation strugglers club. Depends on the quality of these players of course and if they can stay fit.

If that's all we're doing, there's significantly less chance Grealish will want to stay.
I think about half the squad is fit for purpose, mostly as support/back up/filler, and I'm usually what people would describe as an optimist!

I'm sorry to say, but the lions share of this squad is a bust. The saving grace is many are young enough to improve, but will they?

As others have alluded to, much like last summer we will have two lists drawn up for both upcoming scenarios - List A we survive and List B (God forbid) we are relegated.

Should we stay in the "promised land" - First job is to convince Grealish to sign, the only way we are going to do this is with a couple of BIG name signings, I hate the fact that every other day we read about Man Utd looking to sign Jack or John McGinn and I would love the tables to be turned (at least once) in my lifetime - Let's see a couple of cheeky bids for Rashford and Lingard. Or let's try grab Tammy back from Chelsea or Kane from Spurs... OK, maybe a bit far fetched 😜 but we will need to show some real intent to show Jack we mean business.

I actually don't think we would need wholesale changes, just some quality additions to strengthen the first eleven. Noticeably some fast skillful wide men and some strength in the middle of the park.

I'd love to see the likes of Tuanzebe, Ben White, Max Aarons, Billing, Calvin Phillips, Eze, David Brooks, Cantwell, Benrahma just to name a few, all these would improve our first eleven, let alone our squad.

If we drop then it is inevitable that Jack and Tyrone leave, then other possible departures (that we can claim some decent funds from) are McGinn, Luiz, and Targett.

We would definitely be shopping in a different market if this happens, however I still feel we will have the edge on 95% of the division in terms of who we are, the facilities we have, the wages we can offer, the attendances we can pull ETC and this will give us a great chance still to build a promotion winning team.

2 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

As others have alluded to, much like last summer we will have two lists drawn up for both upcoming scenarios - List A we survive and List B (God forbid) we are relegated.

Should we stay in the "promised land" - First job is to convince Grealish to sign, the only way we are going to do this is with a couple of BIG name signings, I hate the fact that every other day we read about Man Utd looking to sign Jack or John McGinn and I would love the tables to be turned (at least once) in my lifetime - Let's see a couple of cheeky bids for Rashford and Lingard. Or let's try grab Tammy back from Chelsea or Kane from Spurs... OK, maybe a bit far fetched 😜 but we will need to show some real intent to show Jack we mean business.

I actually don't think we would need wholesale changes, just some quality additions to strengthen the first eleven. Noticeably some fast skillful wide men and some strength in the middle of the park.

I'd love to see the likes of Tuanzebe, Ben White, Max Aarons, Billing, Calvin Phillips, Eze, David Brooks, Cantwell, Benrahma just to name a few, all these would improve our first eleven, let alone our squad.

If we drop then it is inevitable that Jack and Tyrone leave, then other possible departures (that we can claim some decent funds from) are McGinn, Luiz, and Targett.

We would definitely be shopping in a different market if this happens, however I still feel we will have the edge on 95% of the division in terms of who we are, the facilities we have, the wages we can offer, the attendances we can pull ETC and this will give us a great chance still to build a promotion winning team.

If that man ever signs for this club I will stand outside Villa Park protesting until the day he is gone. I'll give you the benfit of the doubt and assume you meant Greenwood. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Say we finish around 17th and the teams coming up are about the same level as the ones going down I'd say we need 2-3 good players just to stand still because the teams around us will no doubt improve their squads considering the silly money available. 

We'd need another 2-3 good players to move up the table the odd position and likely at least 1 or 2 of those to be smash hits to make any serious dent towards the top 10.

It's doable but even if we manage to stay up we'll have our work cut out just to stand still.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Say we finish around 17th and the teams coming up are about the same level as the ones going down I'd say we need 2-3 good players just to stand still because the teams around us will no doubt improve their squads considering the silly money available. 

We'd need another 2-3 good players to move up the table the odd position and likely at least 1 or 2 of those to be smash hits to make any serious dent towards the top 10.

It's doable but even if we manage to stay up we'll have our work cut out just to stand still.

I think this is true

• Like 1

Four top targets if we go down.

Eze (Grealish replacement). Saw QPR last night and there was move in second half where Eze glided from halfway line and then passed straight to the striker who fired home the winner, was Grealish lite.

I'd be find signing him if we stayed up tbh.

Joe Lolley. Maybe not quite as good as last season but still scored 7 from out wide (11 the season before). We know his history obviously. Forest may well cash in if they don't go up.

Dwight Gayle. Not quite as long term as those two but Tammy type striker you know will get 20 goals no problem if you get the crosses in.

Chester type signing at the back. Was looking at some of the out of favour CBs at prem clubs and had completely forgotten about Ben Gibson. Been out of favour at Burnley and even been training at Boro recently so he'll certainly be available for at least a loan move.

You add those four to the ones who'll remain like Heaton, Hourihane, El Ghazi and McGinn and I'd say that would be very strong bet for top 2.

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Heard a horrible rumour that if we stay up Ross Barkley is being considered a replacement for Jack ... Hopefully BS  ... 

That would be like thinking Mile Jedinak could replace John Terry at CB, only an idiot would do that...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No one is going to completely replace Jack, unless we either spend all of the money we get for him on his replacement, or if we get very lucky with an ‘up and coming’ potential starlet, who happens to come good extremely fast.

If we’re looking for a like-for-like, in style, player then someone like a Ross Barkley is probably who we’ll be aiming for, in my opinion. Coming into his prime, not getting enough minutes at Chelsea. 

It’s the kind of unfashionable yet stabilising signing that an Everton/Palace would make, and three months later we’d be asking why we didn’t sign him.

Saying that, I’d imagine his wages are too high for us.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Heard a horrible rumour that if we stay up Ross Barkley is being considered a replacement for Jack ... Hopefully BS  ... 

When you say "heard a rumour," do you mean from somebody who should be sectioned and possibly possessed by Satan, and was being restrained by Police / Priests.

Anyway, if we stay up, we don't need to replace Jack.

• Like 1

We wouldn't be able to replace Grealish even if we had all the money in the world and was allowed to spend it, simply because there is no other player like Grealish, there's no like for like replacement, there are players that can do things that Grealish can do and sometimes better, but there's no player that can do everything that Grealish can do, he has a very unique skillset. But whilst replacing him individually might be near impossible, that's not to say we can't improve overall as a team without him if we spend wisely, you only have to look at the league table to see there are quite a few clubs doing better than us and none of them have Jack Grealish, same goes for the people who say we wouldn't to get promoted without him, teams get promoted from the championship every season without Grealish.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

He's more box to box than a pure 10. I wouldn't mind him as an upgrade on Hourihane.

Eze my choice to replace Jack as he has that similar swagger when running with the ball and I imagine his stats playing for a poor QPR team aren't that different. Certianly all their best moves go through him.

• Like 3

Morgan Sanson from Marseille has been mentioned as a target IF we stay up... We need to solve the conundrum which is our midfield as it’s just not right but individually seem great players ... Is it down to personnel or tactics ?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

Morgan Sanson from Marseille has been mentioned as a target IF we stay up... We need to solve the conundrum which is our midfield as it’s just not right but individually seem great players ... Is it down to personnel or tactics ?

Probably a bit of both.  We haven’t got the players to follow the tactics. Smith should adapt really but he seems to think they are capable of more than we are seeing. 

I think if we stay up we will spend big again but on 3-4 players. We will be in a better position to go for quality over quantity. A few big signings would transform the team. 

• Like 1