Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

On 25/02/2020 at 12:05, lexicon said:

I disagree, we don't need a complete overhaul and it certainly isn't smart business to get rid of 'a lot of the current squad'. What we need is a bit of quality - 2 or 3 players, CB, CM mandatory, third would be an attacker (winger or striker) and we'd be able to get a lot more out of what we've got. 

The situation we found ourselves in last summer was very unusual in football and the sheer number of new players required was always going to be an issue in terms of getting the right guys and them settling in properly. These things take time. 

I'd say we need better midfield and Wingers if were to take the pressure off our keeper and defence. We can't hold onto the ball In our half midfield area and beyond and because of that we get overloaded. With quality in the midfield and Wings (despite i think the Wingers should either be dropped or brought closer to samatta for mlre central support) should help give a breather to the defence and keeper.

Think about it though, it's not as if our keepers and defenders are bad, it's just that when your being bombarded for 70% of the game, you are asking way to much of your defenders to keep a couple of goals out let alone make a clean sheet. Unless our defence and keeper is world class, then a bombardment is always going to kick us in the teeth. We need to be able to alleviate the pressure quicker in our midfield and there's without that quick response time and urgency to go at them and apply pressure fast we won't do that, they will be on our doorstep shooting so much that no one can blame the defence or keeper for making an error or two a game.

Summer arrives and I'll be expecting us to bring some serious quality in and getting rid of alot of the players who were with us in the championship who clearly don't fit the premier. 

We cant sell the ones we bought in the summer or january, why?? because some of those would no doubt loose there place and move onto the subs bench because the quality would take over. It would be those now that are on the subs bench and beyond that get sold to make way for some of our current first teamers to drop into there place. Even if we don't like it we still have to follow a way of purging those we don't need anymore and the only way is what I've mentioned above. No way can we just sell first teamers in the summer, unless we got 600 million or above to replace most of them and subs bench and the rest with real quality which we can't do anyway because of stupid FFP, we have to do things the smart way.

I want quality in but it has to be in the right way and I firmly believe if we get it in midfield and on the Wings and may be a striker then we will be better at defending. I think five to seven quality signings between midfield, Wingers and striker could be what we need.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

January business panning out as bad as we thought it would.

Baston can't even get in the 18 now although let's be honest he was a last minute punt to simply say we'd signed a striker. Drinkwater been awful and many of us on here didn't want him. I didn't mind Reina and he started fine but now costing us a goal a game. The other is 16 years old.

• Like 2

It’s a shame as we all saw it coming besides those at the club. It’s why I have zero faith with those at helm and the fact it’s happened before when we got relegated and we all saw these same exact mistakes coming is probably what has wind up the fanbase even more. 

We **** up a genuine opportunity in January. A couple of good results, with some kinder fixtures on the horizon. We bring in Drinkwater and reina. It's cost us.

Obviously samatta has done well so far. I don't think a complete rebuild is needed. Some will leave, a few will come in and we will be strong enough for the championship I'm sure. Players like guilbert, Targett, Engels, nakamba, samatta and potentially even Wesley will look very good in the championship in my opinion.

This summer, however, is crucial and recruitment has to be spot on. (Spot the obvious problem here) We have to be in a stronger position squad wise next time we come up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

We **** up a genuine opportunity in January. A couple of good results, with some kinder fixtures on the horizon. We bring in Drinkwater and reina. It's cost us.

Obviously samatta has done well so far. I don't think a complete rebuild is needed. Some will leave, a few will come in and we will be strong enough for the championship I'm sure. Players like guilbert, Targett, Engels, nakamba, samatta and potentially even Wesley will look very good in the championship in my opinion.

This summer, however, is crucial and recruitment has to be spot on. (Spot the obvious problem here) We have to be in a stronger position squad wise next time we come up. 

Agreed. Let's get into bed with whoever Jorge Mendes' biggest rival is.

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

In hindsight, we probably should have risked FFP a little buy getting in at least 1 top quality midfielder. (Big bastard)

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In hindsight, we probably should have risked FFP a little buy getting in at least 1 top quality midfielder. (Big bastard)

Of the Bastard family? Plays for FC Brickshithusen?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Too right, hang on to McGinn as well and he was a match winner down there.

Should we take the drop, I would guess that the vultures would gather around Mings and McGinn, as well as Jack. Would we also need to sell players who are on PL wages, to fit in with the dreaded FFP? Could we therefore, see another relegation fire sale of players on high wages and of players, who having had a taste of the PL don't fancy playing in the Championship? 

We would then be likely to face another big rebuild. I've not quite given up on keeping Jack, Tyrone and John, and adding another 4 players at a cost of around £25m-£30m each, to kick on in the PL next season though! 🤞  

17 minutes ago, John said:

Should we take the drop, I would guess that the vultures would gather around Mings and McGinn, as well as Jack. Would we also need to sell players who are on PL wages, to fit in with the dreaded FFP? Could we therefore, see another relegation fire sale of players on high wages and of players, who having had a taste of the PL don't fancy playing in the Championship? 

We would then be likely to face another big rebuild. I've not quite given up on keeping Jack, Tyrone and John, and adding another 4 players at a cost of around £25m-£30m each, to kick on in the PL next season though! 🤞  

I'm sure I've read previously that most, if not all of our first team players have relegation clauses in their contracts. So if we do drop back in to the championship we will still have a high wage budget for that division, but it shouldn't be as astronomical or crippling as some people think.

I also don't see the owners being taken for mugs on prices. Jack would inevitably leave, but not for a cut price, and I could see us holding on to McGinn and Mings. McGinn is only returning from an injury so there's no guarantee someone would pay the money we would want, and we wouldn't be under pressure to sell. Mings I also think wouldn't have as many suitors as people on here think. His blocks and clearance stats are good, but he's leader of the leagues worst defence, has had multiple injuries in the past, and we would want a profit on what we paid. If he doesn't make the England squad for the Euro's then I could see him sticking around.

Yes, relegation would hurt, but I think we could put ourselves in a much better position to be competetive next season and attempt to win promotion back at the first time of asking. There doesn't need to be a fire sale and rebuild, just clever additions and a refusal to sell players on the cheap.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We’ve been linked with Karlan Grant on sky sports.com, I’d take him

Should have gone in for him in January, he's only 22 and is the sort of player who will develop into a decent striker pretty much a 1 in 2 goal ratio since joining Huddersfield.

• Like 1

Assuming the worst happens, who realistically stays?

GK: Heaton, Nyland, Steer

Full backs: Elmo, Guilbert, Taylor, Targett
Centre backs: Hause, Konsa, Engels

Midfielders: Lansbury, Hourihane, Nakamba, Douglas Luiz, 
Wingers: El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Jota

Strikers: Wesley, Samatta, Davis, Borja

I think in terms of GK and ST we're fine. CBs have quality IMO, but we need another one in there. CM, we definitely need someone a bit more creative, a Jack-lite. Certainly need someone with pace on the wing. Probably an upgrade at full back. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

McGinn will be staying unless someone pays £35m. That won't happen. 4 years left on his deal.

Mings, 3 years left. We'll again be asking £35m. Don't think he's worth that.

We need to sign more players of this ilk, I think we should look at the lower leagues in this country or abroad. Shopping for bargains , McGinn for £3m was a masterstroke, kudos to Bruce

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Assuming the worst happens, who realistically stays?

GK: Heaton, Nyland, Steer

Full backs: Elmo, Guilbert, Taylor, Targett
Centre backs: Hause, Konsa, Engels

Midfielders: Lansbury, Hourihane, Nakamba, Douglas Luiz, 
Wingers: El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Jota

Strikers: Wesley, Samatta, Davis, Borja

I think in terms of GK and ST we're fine. CBs have quality IMO, but we need another one in there. CM, we definitely need someone a bit more creative, a Jack-lite. Certainly need someone with pace on the wing. Probably an upgrade at full back. 

Oh god. Lansbury and Taylor are like turds that won't flush. Need to get a League One fork out to chop them up a bit.