Relegation thread

Knutserov13

12 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Looking at the state of Burnley tonight I can see the teams near us with them to play taking all 3 points.

4 players refusing to play because contracts expire next week 

1 hour ago, useless said:

If any of our relegation rivals beat Wolves would we be really all that surprised not really no, some of them already have, lets not overhype them it's not as if they're a City or a Liverpool, they're not even on the same level as Chelsea or Leicester, they're slightly better than average, in fact they've only won four more games than us all season, which is twelve points, but the way people go on about how amazing they are and how poor we are you'd think they would have won more than eleven games versus our seven. So yes they will be strong favorites, but it woudn't exactly be an upset if we beat them.

• They have lost 6 games against our 18
  • They have conceded 34 goals against our 58
  • They have accrued 46 points against our 26 

I think I can safely say, that if we beat them, I will be surprised......pleasantly surprised.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We paid 14 mill for him... Let that sit...

Don't ....please don't.

sooner have Hutton...I think.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

Not sure why you've listed all those things, I wasn't trying to claim that we are nearly as good them, just pointing out that they've only won four more games than us, they get a lot of draws. If we beat them it will be a surprise, but not some major shock. They've already dropped points this season to most of the teams near the bottom of the table, they will have similar stats compared to those teams as well.

Edited by useless

Oh God, Wolves?! They'll trash us.

Two midfielders in Neves and Moutinho who are as willing as Grealish to get on the ball and ping it around all over the place, they'll have 65% possession.

Three forwards who are good enough to play in a front three and defenders who will pass into midfield.

We've got five games it's possible to get points in. No chance at all v Wolves, Liverpool or Utd.

• Like 1

Wolves had all those players when they were drawing with Palace, Burnley and Southampton and losing to Everton when all  those teams were struggling at the bottom of the table, they've also failed to beat Newcastle twice and Brighton twice and lost to Watford. Yes they will be favorites to beat us, and that's the most likely outcome, , but I think they must be one of most overrated teams in recent times I know they've done well but people talk about them as if they're champions league regulars or something.... Looking at the past ten seasons and where their current 46 points would see them after 30 games...

7th 14 points off top four

7th 17 points off top four

8th 18 points off top four

7th 6 points off top four

8th 16 points off top four

8th 17 points off top four

7th 9 points off top four

7th 9 points off top four

6th 7 points off top  four

9th 9 points off top four

So I guess on average around seventh place, but most seasons they wouldn't be anywhere near the champions league places with the points total they have now, interesting to note in that final season ten years back it was small heath who were in nineth place under Mcleish wth 44 points, just two less points than Wolves have now, we were on 51 points, we'd be in the top four at the moment with that total this season as we had a better goal difference than Chelsea have at the moment... Sad see how we've fallen, and it's starting to feel like a permanent thing.

Yes I used to think it wouldn't take much to get us at least challenging as one of the best of rest teams, and that's probably still true, the likes of Wolves, Burnley, Watford, Everton, Southampton, Sheffield Unted and Swansea have all occupied that postion in recent seasons, but for whatever reason no matter what we try we seem to fail, every transfer window people get excited by the new signings but rarely do they help the team to achieve it's utlimate goals, same with new managers always seem to end up in disappontment. One decent appointment could turn our fortunes around though,.

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Seven years watching this shower of shit? So you've literally never seen us be good. And you're from Minnesota? Do they not have dominatrixes in your city or something?

I spend my US Sports time watching the Vikings and other Minnesota sports. I’m used to heartbreak.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I’m only 7 years old in my fandom, but I can’t help but feeling the same.

I can sympathise. I've been a fan for much longer than 7 years, but my 19 year old son hasn't. He's never seen us be "good". Ever.

• Like 2

My feelings towards the remainder of this season are similar to those at the back-end of 2016. It's not the toxic mess we had then but the football isn't far off those levels. We're clearly going down. I just want it to be over.

I am an older fan and yeah, this feels permanent to me too. With notable exceptions (like Grealish) most of the club has accepted being second rate as their lot. 

Gone are the days of expecting to win premier league games, we used to you know. Now we are always the underdog in a league we co founded. A club thats won the top club football honours in the world, reduced to trying to nick a point here and there to avoid relegation against no mark clubs we brushed aside in the past. 

A club with no style, no flair or tactical philosophy or ability to win games, just flailing from one mediocre manager to the next.

I wish i could see the ownership radically changing and taking a more modern and winning approach, but sadly they seem well meaning but ultimately unable to make the same hard decisions the previous owners were. 

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I spend my US Sports time watching the Vikings and other Minnesota sports. I’m used to heartbreak.

In 7 years you got to see our record winning streak and a playoff final win - you're doing pretty well. Before then, all we'd had since 1996 was a few good seasons and the peace cup 🙂🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

A club with no style, no flair or tactical philosophy or ability to win games, just flailing from one mediocre manager to the next.

This is what gets me. What is our identity? I got no clue.

Smith keeps mentioning getting the ball to Grealish more. Stop Grealish and you stop Villa. Everything goes through Jack. There is no style of play.

1 point out of the last 21 and we are expecting minimum 10 from 24. Let's get real.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chips'ngravy said:

My feelings towards the remainder of this season are similar to those at the back-end of 2016. It's not the toxic mess we had then but the football isn't far off those levels. We're clearly going down. I just want it to be over.

I'll be in very much the same boat if we don't beat Newcastle. Based on our respective Sheffield Utd performances you better make some room,  I'll take the right oar.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, useless said:

If we can just ignore the rest of the season that happened months back, and treat the last ten games as it's own seperate season

This is absolutely right, I really expected us to come out super pumped up, chasing down every scrap of a chance. Keenan looked up for it against Sheffield United but everyone else seems to be comfortable being passengers. This is what worries me. Even Jack hasn’t been his usual 1 man army. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

This is absolutely right, I really expected us to come out super pumped up, chasing down every scrap of a chance. Keenan looked up for it against Sheffield United but everyone else seems to be comfortable being passengers. This is what worries me. Even Jack hasn’t been his usual 1 man army. 

If i was a player i would be frustrated as hell with the tactics against Chelsea.

This team's strengths isn't to defend, the season stats proves it. Still don't understand why he set us up like that. We played into their hands.

• Like 1

We had only just assembled a squad for this league, we were short in many areas but had they all stayed fit (an impossible ask in any season) - then we would not be in the relegation spots IMHO. Our downfall is/was getting promoted so quickly with the squad we had - I see it as sown in to our promotion so I can't be too miserable about it. When it is confirmed, maybe the time will be then to talk about it in more detail but it appears to me that we will (in all honesty) be the richest most able to spend club in the championship. Bournemouth with their wage bill will be devastated by relegation, Norwich just banked the cash so should be ok - but hardly going to waste that money. We on the other hand will have player sales, written-off FFP allowances, and parachute payments. If there's a sniff of a player willing to play in that league, we will be front of the queue. Might need a new manager though.  

• Like 2