Relegation thread

Knutserov13

If we beat Newcastle and Wolves then it’s very much on... but on the form of the last 2 games (and how much better those teams have looked down post-lockdown) I just can’t see it unless theres a massive shift in performance level.

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Realistically on current form we'll get a point against Newcastle, Palace and West Ham, that's it. 

I estimated we’d beat one of them and draw with the other 2 (and lose the other 5).

I think what would be helpful to us from a psychological point of view is to just forget the season that was, before the lockdown, and forget all these stats about only taking two points from the current top ten and goals conceded averages, all that was months ago, just have to think of these las ten games as their own mini season, if you look at it like that and forget everything else,  and treat this current run of fixtures as it's own mini seasn, we've drawn one and lost one, and still have a chance.

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

We're in a much better position as a club now than we were last time we were relegated, when we were well and truly on our knees with our culture entirely destroyed. I've resigned myself to us going down and i'm okay with it. We'll be back and we'll be better prepared.

I am not so confident, I certainly concerned that we will be down for the long haul if me make the mistake of letting Dean get us promoted. We may need 5 or 6 new players as well with a much reduce window to purchase them in.

We need an experienced man in as soon as our fate is confirmed and you would hope that there are plans in place so the next manager can have a real good look at what he will be working with.

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

If we beat Newcastle and Wolves then it’s very much on... but on the form of the last 2 games (and how much better those teams have looked down post-lockdown) I just can’t see it unless theres a massive shift in performance level.

Can you in any world see us beating Wolves? Adama will murder Targett. Just like last time.

• Like 2

Sadly I agree. Everyone we are playing from now till the end of the season will have 3pts as the target against us. Why shouldn't they? We have the joint worst form in the division and our fellow worst (Bournemouth) is above us in the table.

If we can just ignore the rest of the season that happened months back, and treat the last ten games as it's own seperate season and then beat Newcastle, then suddenly we won't have got off to a bad start, four points from three games, and might even potenially find ourselves outside the bottom three, and will give us some confidence going into the Wolves game.

15 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We simply have to pray for 2 wins and a couple of draws and then hope that West Ham and Bournemouth really fall apart. 

Yes our run in is really tough. We need 4 points from our next two games to stand a chance imo

• Like 2

If any of our relegation rivals beat Wolves would we be really all that surprised not really no, some of them already have, lets not overhype them it's not as if they're a City or a Liverpool, they're not even on the same level as Chelsea or Leicester, they're slightly better than average, in fact they've only won four more games than us all season, which is twelve points, but the way people go on about how amazing they are and how poor we are you'd think they would have won more than eleven games versus our seven. So yes they will be strong favorites, but it woudn't exactly be an upset if we beat them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, useless said:

If any of our relegation rivals beat Wolves would we be really all that surprised not really no, some of them already have, lets not overhype them it's not as if they're a City or a Liverpool, they're not even on the same level as Chelsea or Leicester, they're slightly better than average, in fact they've only won four more games than us all season, which is twelve points, but the way people go on about how amazing they are and how poor we are you'd think they would have won more than eleven games versus our seven. So yes they will be strong favorites, but it woudn't exactly be an upset if we beat them.

To me it would be an upset if we beat West Ham - we've just gone at this level .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rbcuk said:

If we do go down we will be down there for a while like last time, half this squad will want to leave, meaning we will get championship players in yet again, I really ain’t looking forward to next season if we do go down

Neither am I but that's more due to the BCD thing.

What I don't really get is Newcastle always seem to go down in a state of crisis, lose a few key players and yet end up p***ing the championship and nearly getting 100 points. Yes I know they had Benitez last time but they sold Wjanaldjum and Sissoko that summer who were inconsistant but two of their best and ended up at CL clubs.

In recent times West Brom had a similar season to us when they went down a few years back but they were pretty strong and really would've got top 2 if they had a more experienced manager, same for Fulham this season who've wasted countless opportunities to get ahead of Leeds or WBA.

If we can keep two of Heaton, Mings, McGinn I don't really see what the problem will be as we'll obviously sign attacking players like we did in each of our three seasons who will be good players at that level e.g. Adomah, Snodgrass, Tammy....

If DS is still here he will certainly be out of the door if we're not even in top 6 by the October. Same rules as for Steve Bruce. Would be good to have a nice comfortable placing in the top 2 all season rather than have to rely on the play offs.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I am not so confident, I certainly concerned that we will be down for the long haul if me make the mistake of letting Dean get us promoted. We may need 5 or 6 new players as well with a much reduce window to purchase them in.

We need an experienced man in as soon as our fate is confirmed and you would hope that there are plans in place so the next manager can have a real good look at what he will be working with.

What is the long haul though? I know our spell in the championship did at times feel like an eternity but it was only 3 years which isn't much when you compare it to Leeds (16 years), Sheff Weds (20 years) and Forest (21 years although I fancy them to win the play offs). Sunderland are certainly going to be out of the premier league for a long time now and Stoke aswell look likely.

If these owners are as good as you all say they are they will make the decisions regarding players and management that will get us straight back up, finances permitting. In fairness they did that last time which was pretty good considering they only took over on the eye of the start of the season so there wasn't much time to sack Steve Bruce. Giving him the first two months pretty much killed off any top 2 bid.

Something will have to go very wrong for us to be even longer in championship this time. Believe it or not but we have been a decent club long before Jack Grealish started kicking a ball around.

Edited by VillaChris

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Looking at the state of Burnley tonight I can see the teams near us with them to play taking all 3 points.

They were actually on a really good run before lockdown. Their last terrible performance was actually against us on New Years day. They usually get hammmered by Man. City who won 4-0 at Turf Moor in November,

That said I'd be happy having them as a home game in the run in like West Ham do. Leading twice at VP and not winning that is another result we'll look back on with regret come the end.