Relegation thread

Knutserov13

44 minutes ago, Jareth said:

We had only just assembled a squad for this league, we were short in many areas but had they all stayed fit (an impossible ask in any season) - then we would not be in the relegation spots IMHO. Our downfall is/was getting promoted so quickly with the squad we had - I see it as sown in to our promotion so I can't be too miserable about it. When it is confirmed, maybe the time will be then to talk about it in more detail but it appears to me that we will (in all honesty) be the richest most able to spend club in the championship. Bournemouth with their wage bill will be devastated by relegation, Norwich just banked the cash so should be ok - but hardly going to waste that money. We on the other hand will have player sales, written-off FFP allowances, and parachute payments. If there's a sniff of a player willing to play in that league, we will be front of the queue. Might need a new manager though.  

good post. i wonder whether doing a norwich in hindsight would've been the right way to go, to just take the money and run. not that our fanbase would have accepted that for a minute of course. putting together a squad capable of comfortably staying in the league was always a tough ask and whilst we're still down there, we're not dead and buried yet.

it has given jack and ty a stage to showcase their abilities. the latter made himself a regular in the squad, and the former was a shoe in for the next squad had Covid not arrived. it has probably added 30-40m to his asking price just being in this league, and whilst people laughed at mings' price at the time i think we'd be certain to make profit on him if he decides to leave too. i think we'll be aiming for promotion at the first attempt. however this time, when we do come back up, we'll be ready, rather than doing so with a combination of old + loan players

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

good post. i wonder whether doing a norwich in hindsight would've been the right way to go, to just take the money and run. not that our fanbase would have accepted that for a minute of course. putting together a squad capable of comfortably staying in the league was always a tough ask and whilst we're still down there, we're not dead and buried yet.

it has given jack and ty a stage to showcase their abilities. the latter made himself a regular in the squad, and the former was a shoe in for the next squad had Covid not arrived. it has probably added 30-40m to his asking price just being in this league, and whilst people laughed at mings' price at the time i think we'd be certain to make profit on him if he decides to leave too. i think we'll be aiming for promotion at the first attempt. however this time, when we do come back up, we'll be ready, rather than doing so with a combination of old + loan players

Perhaps. But doesn't it all smell so defeatist? 

This season has been a disaster and I won't comfort myself knowing we'll be the most attractive club in the championship. 

25 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Perhaps. But doesn't it all smell so defeatist? 

This season has been a disaster and I won't comfort myself knowing we'll be the most attractive club in the championship. 

This season hasn't been a disaster. Disappointing yes but its hardly 15/16. Most teams who win the playoffs go straight back down again though none have spent as much as Villa though. And we got to a cup final as well.

Personally I think we have lost a bit of  elite club invincibility when got relegated four years ago and although it was will be disappointing if we get relegated it won't hurt as much as we are used to failure now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

This season hasn't been a disaster. Disappointing yes but its hardly 15/16. Most teams who win the playoffs go straight back down again though none have spent as much as Villa though. And we got to a cup final as well.

Personally I think we have lost a bit of  elite club invincibility when got relegated four years ago and although it was will be disappointing if we get relegated it won't hurt as much as we are used to failure now.

Completely disagree with this. I was at the playoff final last year, I rememeber the sense of relief and the sheer elation at being back in the Premier League. Couple that with the fact we have fantastic new owners, a world class player (Grealish) and spent 120m+, it really, really hurts this time around. 

This season is currently on track to be a disaster, no two ways about it in my mind. 

As others said. Last time was a disaster. 

This is now the cost of that disaster. It is very difficult to cement yourself as a premier league team once going down. 

We might be a yo yo club for awhile. 

The difference between this and 15/16 is like night and day though.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

As others said. Last time was a disaster. 

This is now the cost of that disaster. It is very difficult to cement yourself as a premier league team once going down. 

We might be a yo yo club for awhile. 

The difference between this and 15/16 is like night and day though.

It is definitely very different.  It was ALL doom and gloom then.  This time there are reasons for optimism given our owners pockets if nothing else. But throw in the ability to spend given parachute income to offset, the fact the FFP rules will almost certainly have to be relaxed given covid, and the ability to keep some of our better players (there are some!),  we are in a much better position.

Nothing to do with being used to failure though, it still hurts. 

Edit: Talking like it is a given already as well, its not over yet. Lose to Newcastle and I'm sure it will be as good as, but not yet. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

Newcastle (A) W

Wolves (H) L

Liverpool (A) L

Man Utd (H) L

Crystal Palace (H) D

Everton (A) L

Arsenal (H) D

West Ham (H) L

IMO we will already be relegated before the West Ham game. Our schedule is simply too brutal. We ain't beating the top half teams. We ain't getting any unexpected results and that's why we are going down.

Edited by villalad21

If football was that easy to predict then people would make a lot of money gambling on it. I'm not very hopeful of us surviving at all, but we have a chance, what we certainly don't need to is to build up the oppostion to be better than they are to the point where we're beaten before we've played them, there are some winnable games left to play, the only one that looks frightfully tough is Liverpool away, the others if we play to the best of our abilities we can get resuts from.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

If football was that easy to predict then people would make a lot of money gambling on it. I'm not very hopeful of us surviving at all, but we have a chance, what we certainly don't need to is to build up the oppostion to be better than they are to the point where we're beaten before we've played them, there are some winnable games left to play, the only one that looks frightfully tough is Liverpool away, the others if we play to the best of our abilities we can get resuts from.

Even the Liverpool game could be a totally unscripted event if they have the title sealed up by then (highly likely).

You are totally right,  football has shock results. You can't, however,  deny that we need something to change for us to get a result against a top half team (repeating history and expecting a different outcome). Whilst there is every chance that something will change in one of those "unwinnable" games (teams not fighting for anything, teams with players out through covid,etc) , I don't see it mattering unless we beat Newcastle

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

In our case hasn't happened so far.

Only team to not beat a top 6 side so far this season.

Did you read the rest of my post or just selectively quote for a sensationalist clickbait comment

There's no such thing as 'this season' when it comes to form, all those other games that we played before the Sheffield United game were five months ago so forget about them, the only 'this season' that that we have to worry about  is the final ten games that we are in the midst of now, something I've helpully termed as our 'mini season'. Worrying about how we got on against top half teams five months ago, would be no different to worrying about last seasons form in a new season.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Just looking at our results for the season and the ONLY team that we have beaten twice is Norwich and they are 20th and we are 19th,so EVERy other team that we have to play.We have lost to them already.

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Just looking at our results for the season and the ONLY team that we have beaten twice is Norwich and they are 20th and we are 19th,so EVERy other team that we have to play.We have lost to them already.

What 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Makes zero sense and completely untrue 😂

Previous result don't matter when it comes to form, those games were five months ago or more, we're in completely different circumstances now, for all intents and purposes we're in a new season, only thing that carries on from the season that was before the lockdown is the league table.

1 hour ago, useless said:

There's no such thing as 'this season' when it comes to form, all those other games that we played before the Sheffield United game were five months ago so forget about them, the only 'this season' that that we have to worry about  is the final ten games that we are in the midst of now, something I've helpully termed as our 'mini season'. Worrying about how we got on against top half teams five months ago, would be no different to worrying about last seasons form in a new season.

Surely the players would've thought of all the previous games when we've lost a lead when 1-0 up v Chelsea. There was no belief on that pitch we could do anything radical like go and score another goal. Instead we were scared to leave our own half, manager did nothing to change our shape when Chelsea did the double change and I think everyone on the pitch knew we'd lose as soon as the first went in. I didn't expect us to concede two minutes later though but we have previous for that aswell when you look at Liverpool game and also Arsenal at the Emirates.

Previous games is certainly haunting us when we play a top 6/7 team and that's not an easy thing to fix mentally so that's the task ahead for when we play Man. United and Arsenal. We scored twice v both away, are we capable of doing that at VP as think we'll have to if we're to get even a point from those games.

43 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

eh? like everton? or newcastle? i mean, we won't, but we COULD do the double over those teams potentially