Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

32 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

God how the Villa social media account is milking this game...

I can understand why but still i can't see anything other than an embarrassing day. I mean they spanked us 6-0 at VP

Football doesn’t work that way though does it, which is why we all love it 👍have Faith. 
If you hope for a Win, look forward to a Win, and we Win, you’ll have had a great build up, and a great celebration.

If you hope for a Win, look forward to a Win, and we lose, you’ll have had a great build up !

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

But we can't stand off.....that will be the only killer.

Yes.

For all the debates and differences of opinion, this, in my view, is the one thing that’s killed us in those games we’ve got nothing from.

Everything is possible if we compete, nothing is possible when we don’t.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes.

For all the debates and differences of opinion, this, in my view, is the one thing that’s killed us in those games we’ve got nothing from.

Everything is possible if we compete, nothing is possible when we don’t.

In a nutshell, Terry.

Felt much more anxiety at last year’s playoff final than I have going into this match, but in my opinion this is one of the top 2 biggest matches since I started following Villa in 2013.

2015 FA Cup Final v Arsenal and this coming Sunday are the only two chances we’ve had to win real trophies.

Winning the playoff last year was an unbelievable high, but finishing effectively 3rd in the Championship is nothing compared to winning a major domestic cup.

Give it a strong go on Sunday and make us f****** proud to be Villa, lads.

• Like 2

A loss would surprise absolutely nobody. It's expected, and it's my expectation too of course.

A win would be the most incredible, unexpected feeling, and it would be a win that would sit very pretty in Villa's history. It would be the first major trophy won by Villa in my lifetime.

Given the expectations going into the game we've got nothing to lose, I don't think there's any pressure to win, and I think this may benefit us given we're the biggest bunch of bottlers under pressure in the league. I'm hoping City see it as such a non-event that they don't turn up all game, we frustrate the game like we did away at Leicester and take whatever chances come our way. If we can keep it level, we'll at least have a chance on penalties.

I think us fans in the stadium can make a difference - it may only delay the inevitable or make it less painful, but we should be singing the whole day (and not just Allez Allez Allez on repeat, for that matter). At the very least we'll win the game in the stands - maybe I'm clutching at straws (I definitely am) but we all need something to clutch onto.

I'm just planning on enjoying the day as much as I can before the game starts, and anything on the pitch will be a bonus. But 100% I will be right behind them the whole game, and there won't be a hint of apathy once the game starts. I'll be reciting the mantra that 'with Grealish anything is possible'...

• Like 1

I would go 4-5-1 with Nyland in goal, I think he deserves his chance. I would bring in Elmo in right mid with a centre 3 of connor (tend to win cups with a irishman starting) , marvellous and luiz with jack on the left but basically a free role. Hopefully having 3 in centre mid may give us a tiny bit more protection in front of Mings and Engels, and give license for Targett and Guilbert to go forward when they can.  I dont think Trez or El Ghazi have show enough in recent weeks to be starting. Its a real shame Mcginn is not back but that can't be helped. Not long now.

• Thanks 1

Support could be massive for us on Sunday. Hope it's able to give the players a boost and inspire them on the weekend.

Off topic. According to the bookmaker I prefer here in Australia, we are $12 to win the League Cup, for Man City to win and Ederson to score a goal (excludes penalty shootout) $4. <_<

Edited by Hornso

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So afternoon off work, come home and to get myself even more up for Sunday I’m sat watching the 94 final. Obviously we weren’t in such a bad league position as now, but there are similarities between then and now. Just shows we have to fight for everything but we can do it. Come on!!!

We were coming off three league defeats then too...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bielesibub said:

Whats the worst that could happen? We lose and then have to rely on our solid league place for our spot in Europe next season? 😜

"Theres no such thing as losing badly, there's no such thing as login badly, there's no ...." if I say it enough I'll believe it.

Is that when you forget your password?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

It's tough to have faith at the moment.

Only Villa fans can be miserable preparing for a literal cup final 😂

We will probably get spanked. So would most teams. Let’s see what happens though. As others have said, what’s the point of dreading the build up? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Only Villa fans can be miserable preparing for a literal cup final 😂

We will probably get spanked. So would most teams. Let’s see what happens though. As others have said, what’s the point of dreading the build up? 

As Villa fans, this will only happen a few times in our lifetimes, we should cherish it

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I don't get the comparison with the 94 season. Yeah we struggled a little that season, but we we were a well established pl team. We were runners up in the league the season before ffs.

The premier league wasn’t well established in 1994. As well as finishing 2nd we had also finished 17th twice in the top division in the preceding 5 seasons.

12 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Felt much more anxiety at last year’s playoff final than I have going into this match

Interesting. I'm a born pessimist, but I was totally confident we'd beat Derby - even when they got a goal back and threw everything at us. Tomorrow*, I can see nothing but a repeat of the Arsenal FA Cup Final embarrassment. 

Speaking of Arsenal, I'm late to this thread and cba to read it all, so apologies if this has already been covered, but... I keep thinking of that year that the 'noses beat Arsenal to win the LC - and got relegated the same season. I'd hate to see that happen to us - I'd take a pasting tomorrow and league survival if I was offered it now. 

*Sunday. See explanation below. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Just now, smg said:

You will have to wait until Sunday for the pasting I’m afraid but at least you get an extra 24 hours before being embarrassed.

Ah yes, that's being retired for you. We look after the grandchildren Tue/Wed/Thu, so Friday always feels like Saturday. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Interesting. I'm a born pessimist, but I was totally confident we'd beat Derby - even when they got a goal back and threw everything at us. Tomorrow, I can see nothing but a repeat of the Arsenal FA Cup Final embarrassment. 

Speaking of Arsenal, I'm late to this thread and cba to read it all, so apologies if this has already been covered, but... I keep thinking of that year that the 'noses beat Arsenal to win the LC - and got relegated the same season. I'd hate to see that happen to us - I'd take a pasting tomorrow and league survival if I was offered it now. 

Strangely I'm the opposite.

After being in the Championship I don't really have an issue if we got relegated again (well I do have an issue, obviously I'd prefer to stay up!)

If you offered me winning this cup and then going down, I'd take it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So people want to know what miracle we need to best Man City..... Here goes,

1. One of their defenders fouls our player as the last man and actually gets sent off.

2. Freddie let's rip from 30 yards, it's gonna miss by a mile but takes a wicked deflection and goes in!

3. Our keeper plays the match of the century and stops everything, they have 75 shots with 37 on goal but don't score, we counter once and beat Bravo.

4. We put in a god awful cross and somehow Otamendi contrives to put it into our net..... 3 times.

I could go on, but I've made my point..... As much as you can't see how we could win there actually ways for us to do it. I have put $100 worth of various bets on Villa, cos I'm not getting caught with my pants down if we win.

Right here, right now if we win..... I f$#king called it!

UTV!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1