Pre-Match Thread

Ouchmefoot

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

One oddity about it though was that we seem to be really bad in the Charity Shield. We won the league 7 times and the FA Cup 7 times. That's like 14 Charity Shields but we've only ever won 1. Haven't even shared one. Although it might also have to do with the fact that a lot of our trophies were won pre-war.

The Charity Shield didn't start until 1908 and we have only played for it four times. That was in 1910 (lost 0-1 to Brighton), in 1957 (lost 0-4 to Manchester United at Old Trafford), in 1972 (lost 0-1 to Manchester City at Villa Park) and in 1981 (drew 2-2 with Spurs and shared the shield).

Edited by John
  • Like 2

On 27/02/2020 at 21:36, MadridVilla said:

A loss would surprise absolutely nobody. It's expected, and it's my expectation too of course.

A win would be the most incredible, unexpected feeling, and it would be a win that would sit very pretty in Villa's history. It would be the first major trophy won by Villa in my lifetime.

Given the expectations going into the game we've got nothing to lose, I don't think there's any pressure to win, and I think this may benefit us given we're the biggest bunch of bottlers under pressure in the league. I'm hoping City see it as such a non-event that they don't turn up all game, we frustrate the game like we did away at Leicester and take whatever chances come our way. If we can keep it level, we'll at least have a chance on penalties.

I think us fans in the stadium can make a difference - it may only delay the inevitable or make it less painful, but we should be singing the whole day (and not just Allez Allez Allez on repeat, for that matter). At the very least we'll win the game in the stands - maybe I'm clutching at straws (I definitely am) but we all need something to clutch onto.

I'm just planning on enjoying the day as much as I can before the game starts, and anything on the pitch will be a bonus. But 100% I will be right behind them the whole game, and there won't be a hint of apathy once the game starts. I'll be reciting the mantra that 'with Grealish anything is possible'...

We have done it before and we can do it again( being the underdog)......with the right approach.

It all boils down to a show, if we turn up, like we know we can....there is an outside chance.

Norwich, who are similar to us, made a good fist of frustrating Leicester and got 3 points last night, in doing so.

Its all down to the approach.

Edited by TRO

23 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Something is urging me to put £30 on us 😭

Trying not to. Curse 

Can I have the £30 instead? My spending it on comics and Gregg's lunches will get you more of a return than donating it to a bookie.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Can I have the £30 instead? My spending it on comics and Gregg's lunches will get you more of a return than donating it to a bookie.

I've not done it yet, so recommend a few comics for me to buy 😅

9 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

To give it a little context, Liverpool were 1/4 on to beat the crazy gang in 1988.

Man City are 1/7 on. 

Edit: for comparison Wimbledon were 17/1. We are 18/1

Jesus Wimbledon were 17/1.  Bookies must have been absolutely convinced they had no chance. 

What was the result of that match out of interest? 😏

Edited by sidcow

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Jesus Wimbledon were 17/1.  Bookies must have been absolutely convinced they had no chance. 

What was the result of that match out of interest? 😏

Wimbledon won which was such a collosal upset people still talk about it 32 years later and is pretty much regarded as the biggest cup final upset in football history. 

And we're slightly longer odds than that! 

5 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Wimbledon won which was such a collosal upset people still talk about it 32 years later and is pretty much regarded as the biggest cup final upset in football history. 

And we're slightly longer odds than that! 

So your saying it could happen. 

3 hours ago, Farlz said:

It's really sad, I've felt absolutely no excitement towards this game. More dread of how many we're going to concede before it turns into another embarrassment. 

Same. I got really fired up for the Chelsea cup final, and got badly let down. I got really fired up for the Arsenal cup final, and got badly let down. There may be a final in future (if I live that long) when I let myself get fired up again. But this isn't it. If I'm wrong, I'll be delighted. But I probably won't be watching. I'll check the result at full time. 

• Sad 1