Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sorry to hear it. It might be a good idea to stop non-essential physical exertions, even if either of you feel you can manage it. The shed can wait, surely.

Yeah I'm going to, left the garden in a bit of a mess, but hey ho, need a couple of days I reckon.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sorry to hear it. It might be a good idea to stop non-essential physical exertions, even if either of you feel you can manage it. The shed can wait, surely.

100%. Get to bed right away @foreveryoung. Your body is fighting a killer. Give it every opportunity to win. Seriously, go to bed.

There's a 98% chance you will be fine but don't risk being the 2%.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Well just an update if you guys are interested.  Mrs tested positive bout 4-5 days ago, I reckon I definately have it now. Loss of taste and smell and just been taking the old shed down in the garden which I have had to quit as losing my breath easy so just come inside.  Mrs is still doing it though so thankfully she must be about over it. Thinking we might both have these mild symptoms which obviously is a blessing. Did anyone have the same?

Hoping you both get better soon! 

• Like 1

It took about 2 weeks for my taste to come back, about 3 for the shortness of breath to resolve itself.

The official numbers are barely scratching the surface, if my social and professional circles are anything to go by.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2020 at 10:04, StefanAVFC said:

The US is mental.

**** ridiculous.

I don't mind thickos shooting themselves in the foot but they're hurting everyone here.

20 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Wonder who could be behind this sort of thing?

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Well just an update if you guys are interested.  Mrs tested positive bout 4-5 days ago, I reckon I definately have it now. Loss of taste and smell and just been taking the old shed down in the garden which I have had to quit as losing my breath easy so just come inside.  Mrs is still doing it though so thankfully she must be about over it. Thinking we might both have these mild symptoms which obviously is a blessing. Did anyone have the same?

Sorry to hear that. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Just saw a headline that a vaccine is being trialed on people from Thursday 

Definitely good news, but should be tempered with caution still. Some vaccines have been shown to make things worse so this is still very much at the beginning of things. Fingers crossed though!

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

ignoring the headlines & mass hysteria for a second has anyone even got a clue how many deaths there are in care homes every day? Best i can find reasonably quickly is around 300 people every single day, approx 106,000 every year which made up more than 20% of all deaths but this is from 2014 and wouldn't be surprised if this has gone up at least 25% since then as it was forecast to more than double by 2040.

1 in 5 deaths are already in care homes without covid being a factor, has this changed at all or is it just more clickbait hysteria?

"1000 people dead in a week in care homes" looks like quite a scary headline

"1000 people dead in a week in care homes but on average this figure is usually around 2000 per week anyway" isn't quite so scary

If anything it looks to be down, and possibly by some way...

using the upto april 10th figures being blasted everywhere today:

hospitals 8,673

care homes 1,043

home 466

Want to see how many old people died in care homes of flu this year? it will be more than all of the above figures combined

I just don't understand you constantly pushing the idea that this is just business as normal. 

Why has the world shut down if people dying is just the same as every year? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

**** ridiculous.

I don't mind thickos shooting themselves in the foot but they're hurting everyone here.

Wonder who could be behind this sort of thing?

The chap behind the fake NHS accounts thing still hasn't produced his evidence that the DHSC were behind it. Maybe he hasn't really got any? He is still claiming that he is seeking legal advice before releasing what he has. Guess we'll just have to wait.

3 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Definitely good news, but should be tempered with caution still. Some vaccines have been shown to make things worse so this is still very much at the beginning of things. Fingers crossed though!

I just watched the interview with the professor at Oxford vaccine centre one of the people who has developed this vaccine and it sounded promising. He did say though even if everything went as smoothly as it could and they had a fair wind behind them it would be autumn before they would have limited supplies and highly unlikely to be this year that they had ability to mass produce.

There are obviously a lot of hurdles to jump yet but it is at least something promising.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Sorry to hear you're not well mate. Hopefully, like you said, the symptoms 2ill be mild. Don't let your guards down though as this thing can turn on you just when you think things are looking rosy. 

Best wishes to you both and make sure you get plenty of fluids and vitamins. 

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't understand you constantly pushing the idea that this is just business as normal. 

Why has the world shut down if people dying is just the same as every year? 

but people do die every day, 150,000+ every single day, 6,000 every hour. 2/3 of these are of age related causes.

This has been going on for 3 months now and only now has the worldwide death total even eclipsed the number of people that die every single day. Still over 50% of the covid deaths are over 85 years old & like it or not an awful lot of these 90,000 or so over 85's would have died anyway, that's what happens when you get to be over 85, a lot of people die. in this country 20%+ of every single death take place in care homes, Why? because care homes are full of old people....

the first official corona death was on Jan 11th, 101 days have now passed since then. At a relatively conservative average estimate (not even taking into account the usual higher death tolls in jab/feb) around 15 million people have died in this time. There have officially been just under 172,000 deaths attributed to corona in this time. That accounts for 1.14% of the total deaths. if it were possible to remove the severley ill/extremely elderly that have died with it this figure would easily be under 1%

2000 people die every single week in lombardy italy, always have, always will. 12000 have died there with corona in 2 months...

People are terrified of death, someone on here, may even have been you even said the other day the objective of life is to live as long as possible.

Is it really? Are people that terrified of dying that they simply want to exist for as long as humanly/mechanically possible even with pretty much no standard of life?

Having had elderly relatives die this year already that were in homes/hospices & in a pretty bad way i'm not sure that any of them saw waking up every day with the aid of a machine a huge massive achievement 90 years into their life

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

but people do die every day, 150,000+ every single day, 6,000 every hour. 2/3 of these are of age related causes.

This has been going on for 3 months now and only now has the worldwide death total even eclipsed the number of people that die every single day. Still over 50% of the covid deaths are over 85 years old & like it or not an awful lot of these 90,000 or so over 85's would have died anyway, that's what happens when you get to be over 85, a lot of people die. in this country 20%+ of every single death take place in care homes, Why? because care homes are full of old people....

the first official corona death was on Jan 11th, 101 days have now passed since then. At a relatively conservative average estimate (not even taking into account the usual higher death tolls in jab/feb) around 15 million people have died in this time. There have officially been just under 172,000 deaths attributed to corona in this time. That accounts for 1.14% of the total deaths. if it were possible to remove the severley ill/extremely elderly that have died with it this figure would easily be under 1%

People are terrified of death, someone on here, may even have been you even said the other day the objective of life is to live as long as possible.

Is it really? Are people that terrified of dying that they simply want to exist for as long as humanly/mechanically possible even with pretty much no standard of life?

Having had elderly relatives die this year already that were in homes/hospices & in a pretty bad way i'm not sure that any of them saw waking up every day with the aid of a machine a huge massive achievement 90 years into their life

Do you understand exponential growth?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm on board with this. 

[UBI] I'm not. It's a lovely notion, it really is, but it's about as practical as a Donald Trump suggestion. In an emergency such as this, it's less daft and has much more to recommend it, but only as a short term measure, until the emergency is lifted/over. There are so many flaws with it, it would take multiple pages to post them all.

• Haha 1

The Tories truly are a scourge on this country

Rather play politics and flag wave than attempt to save lives.

They better get hammered for this.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â