Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Another day and another £1bn+ of funding magic'd up by Rishi Sunak...............I get it, it's exceptional but where is this coming from given that 12 months ago the former Conservative leader stood and told the nation there 'was no magic money tree'.

If we'd invested even 10% of what the governments now offered to pay out on health services we'd have been in a better position to cope with all of this.

It feels like the government is literally just reacting to public opinion and tailoring their actions accordingly, telling everyone what they think we want to hear.

We have serving government members just bare faced lying to us all around data/numbers and at this stage I'm far more worried by our inept leadership than I am of the virus itself.

Then add in that apparently NHS staff have been told not to post on social media about any shortages of equipment - so as not to politicise it (or, more reasonably so that the govt cannot be scrutinised further), the powers being afforded to the police, the fact that Boris didn't feel it necessary to attend COBRA meetings whilst simultaneously boasting about shaking hands with infected persons (he was allegedly on a second holiday when he missed at least one of the COBRA meetings) and a whole multitude of other shit things happening at the moment and I don't know about you guys but I am not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel right now.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This goes back to what we actually want the graphs for though, doesn't it. Of course it shows a weak correlation between population density and fatalities (though as I say, he could choose more appropriate comparators that would change that somewhat) because nobody has ever suggested that population or population density were *the monocausal explanation* for fatality rates. There are a huge number of confounding variables.

However, something doesn't have to have a high correlation to be of use. If I want to know whether my part of the country has been hit worse than other parts, for instance, I need a per-capita figure to answer that question, and the fact that population or population density aren't the single cause of the difference is irrelevant to that.

My questioning of Burn-Murdoch is what he wants his pasta line graphs to prove at this stage, and whether he is actually choosing the most effective visualisation for that. Some of his other charts are much better for this, by the way, such as the charts that show % change in hospitalisations in three colours that he has added over the last week. The fit between 'what the data is for' and 'what the data shows' is much clearer and better.

But I think this per capita / population correlation graph is only used by him to show why they don’t use per capita numbers in their overall graphs, as it appears lots of people respond to the graphs showing cumulative deaths suggesting they should be per capita numbers instead. 

I agree with everything you say. But I don’t think he’s saying per capita is useless (I may have implied this so apologies if I did), just that they’re not relevant to that particular point

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Oil at $0.99 per barrel. We’re through the looking glass now! 😂

136D6649-3E3B-405E-88A1-613579D7E127.png

That's got all sorts of market silliness related to when the contract becomes due in it. Still, we're at $20 a couple months out, so crazy times. Though, can't say I'm losing any sleep over oil market participants being taken out to the proverbial woodshed.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's gone negative!

Along with Mohammed bin Salman’s* chance of being alive by Friday. 

*I’ve got him in the Deadpool thread so possibly some wishful thinking. 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

... 12 months ago the former Conservative leader stood and told the nation there 'was no magic money tree'.

Whilst pushing through a negligently underpriced HS2 project. Someone's chums and family are making a bit of cash there. To the troughs - Oink Oink !!

Silly Theresa May was clearly looking in the wrong place for a magic money tree.

It seems Boris and his hedge fund chancellor knew there was a magic money forest moon all along! 😮 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Awol said:

Along with Mohammed bin Salman’s* chance of being alive by Friday. 

*I’ve got him in the Deadpool thread so possibly some wishful thinking. 

Bad news for Newcastle? Or good news depending on your point of view.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lichfield Dean said:

Bad news for Newcastle? Or good news depending on your point of view.

The whole thing is just mind blowing, god knows where it all ends up. 

Think it was Lenin who said ‘there are decades when nothing happens, and weeks when decades happen.’  If we’re not there yet then we’re bloody close to it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Starting to really miss music. On my 1hour to work and back I’d listen to a lot, and very loud. More of a challenge at home. 

Headphones? 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Headphones? 

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Go for a walk/run with headphones on 

Both valid options, I guess what I really miss is belting out songs at the top of my voice as if I’m headlining Wembley stadium whilst blasting up the M40 (70 tops).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Oil at $0.99 per barrel. We’re through the looking glass now! 😂

136D6649-3E3B-405E-88A1-613579D7E127.png

The price since 1940. Yup, that's pretty eye-opening. 

Edit - even if the $0 / $10 / $100 /$1,000 growth of the graph is a bit misleading. 

EWEUTPHX0AclFp4?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by ml1dch

Â