Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is Boris back to work now, or still watching episodes of Friends on comedy central?

He's having a phone call with Trump this afternoon, but they are insisting he isn't 'working'. He absolutely shouldn't be working, though.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Under promise and over deliver always.

A simple tactic that our government seems totally oblivious to, choosing instead to over promise and under deliver over and over again.

I’ve been saying this to my other half constantly. They’re continuously promising things they can’t achieve, and then predictably failing to achieve it. 

Again any other profession you would get crucified for doing that. 

People need to hold them to account more and stop letting them weasel out of their failures by lying. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's having a phone call with Trump this afternoon, but they are insisting he isn't 'working'. 

What are you wearing?

No, no, what are you wearing?

Oooh that’s a nasty question?

D’you take it on the chin? Do you?

What is a fake taxi?

• Haha 1

As was mentioned up thread, there are a lot of versions of the above tweet in circulation.

Locally here, the three comprehensive schools contacted the nearest hospitals directly and have so far made and supplied 10,000 NHS type approved face shields.

Wolf studios costume department have been making and supplying scrubs for about 3 weeks.

Yes there’s a world of difference of scale, and yes government have been shown to be incompetent and should eventually be held to account. But if its a genuine offer, there are ways and means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

I wish it was that easy, my wife’s a deputy manager in a care home. Her best friend is the manager and she’s currently lodging with us due to a recent marriage break up. They’re the only ones keeping the place going, five staff have gone off sick and two left last week. They’re really up against it working long hours to cover shifts at the moment. Thankfully there’s been no cases there yet... it will be an absolute disaster if there was to be. 

The latest news today is that they’ve been contacted with details of how to request tests, there’s a local authority operation that will arrange them if they suspect anyone has symptoms. If that gets overwhelmed then there’s a national testing centre at Doncaster airport. That gives me some relief,  but I still hate the fact she has to spend the majority of her time there with next to no government support. 

Yes....I know it can’t be done in many cases it was just a desperate shout out to try and say how awful it is.

My wife’s in the same job as yours....and very similar circumstances. That’s one of the reasons I keep banging on about it because it is so much worse than anyone hears in the press. No staff,  no tests, no equipment, total dependence on their own initiatives

Mercifully my wife was told to stay home a couple of weeks back as she is in remission from cancer and has other health issue, they decided she shouldn’t go in. So I think I can say I’ve an idea how you feel.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair to him, Lewis Goodall at Newsnight has been quite good on this. But otherwise, yes, it's been bafflingly absent or downplayed in the media.

Yes you are right he has. There maybe have been a few others. But my God, I know we are all very different now than we were even a couple of weeks ago, but to have hundreds of the most needy and vulnerable dying every week, all but abandoned, and it not be headline news or the subject of detailed critical scrutiny is, as you say, baffling to say the least.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Yes you are right he has. There maybe have been a few others. But my God, I know we are all very different now than we were even a couple of weeks ago, but to have hundreds of the most needy and vulnerable dying every week, all but abandoned, and it not be headline news or the subject of detailed critical scrutiny is, as you say, baffling to say the least.

It's extremely grim isn't it. I swear the next person who says 'the healthcare system isn't over capacity' *without* acknowledging that's only been possible by preventing the most vulnerable group from attending hospital is going to get a kick in the shins when I come out of lock down.

• Like 4

Also should obviously mention that in addition to the ruthless triaging going on, we're also turning care home workers (many of whom barely make minimum wage) into palliative care nurses.

Love to have a job assisting people dying from a virus without being able to see their loved ones for £8.50 an hour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's a reason care homes have one of the highest rates of staff turnover and employment law cases - it's a horrible job, on multiple fronts, that pays sod all. After this it'll be like lifeboats off the Titanic I'd imagine.

Shocking to think they could get paid more to stack shelves at the local Tesco.

It should be a skilled job for skilled people with according pay.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 3

ignoring the headlines & mass hysteria for a second has anyone even got a clue how many deaths there are in care homes every day? Best i can find reasonably quickly is around 300 people every single day, approx 106,000 every year which made up more than 20% of all deaths but this is from 2014 and wouldn't be surprised if this has gone up at least 25% since then as it was forecast to more than double by 2040.

1 in 5 deaths are already in care homes without covid being a factor, has this changed at all or is it just more clickbait hysteria?

"1000 people dead in a week in care homes" looks like quite a scary headline

"1000 people dead in a week in care homes but on average this figure is usually around 2000 per week anyway" isn't quite so scary

If anything it looks to be down, and possibly by some way...

using the upto april 10th figures being blasted everywhere today:

hospitals 8,673

care homes 1,043

home 466

Want to see how many old people died in care homes of flu this year? it will be more than all of the above figures combined

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Sorry, came across wrong, I meant for that to be translated in pay!! Will edit now 

No apology necessary to me, I knew what you meant. Just clumsy word selection.

Many, many years of trying to separate social care from the nhs in the name of 'efficiancy' and economic 'savings' coupled with high unemployment get us to where we are. Councils shouldn't be left picking up the slack via public/private partnerships. Least of all for profit.

One day people will find out the cheapest option all along was proper housing / social care provision etc. Imho.

As for proper wages for proper jobs no arguments here either but perhaps people involved in the food supply chain being used as the barometer, societally, for a minimum wage job is part of the problem. 

Shall we do disabled children's hospices and air ambulance services left to fund themselves via charitable donations while we are at it? 

Much more grotesque things about our society than cabinet members.

(Soap box down walk away marv) 

• Like 1

Well just an update if you guys are interested.  Mrs tested positive bout 4-5 days ago, I reckon I definately have it now. Loss of taste and smell and just been taking the old shed down in the garden which I have had to quit as losing my breath easy so just come inside.  Mrs is still doing it though so thankfully she must be about over it. Thinking we might both have these mild symptoms which obviously is a blessing. Did anyone have the same?

• Sad 4

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Well just an update if you guys are interested.  Mrs tested positive bout 4-5 days ago, I reckon I definately have it now. Loss of taste and smell and just been taking the old shed down in the garden which I have had to quit as losing my breath easy so just come inside.  Mrs is still doing it though so thankfully she must be about over it. Thinking we might both have these mild symptoms which obviously is a blessing. Did anyone have the same?

I'm sorry to hear it. It might be a good idea to stop non-essential physical exertions, even if either of you feel you can manage it. The shed can wait, surely.

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â