Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 hours ago, Awol said:

Just to confirm we’re now totally off the map... 

When Trump said he was worried the cure might be worse than the disease, I think this is what his advisers meant when they told him what to say. 

Be interesting to see what Brent Crude does tomorrow. 

The contract rolls over at 14:30 eastern tomorrow, so it'll be to whatever the June contract is at and various clowns without understanding will be stuck with all sorts of losses, i.e., (Price of June contract - Price of May contract)*number of contracts bought, or whatever exorbitant fees anyone with storage is willing to sell at, which is likely at delta less that the difference above.

Wonder how many suckers went all in at sub $1 prices! For reference, a typical contract is for 1k barrels of oil, and you need to provide your own barrels.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Disney furloughs 100.000 theme-park and hotel-workers.

When you say furlough, in the UK we've come to understand that as being placed on an 80% of wage government payout - a sort of temporary unemployment benefit. How does it work for the good folks that live under the mouse?

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

When you say furlough, in the UK we've come to understand that as being placed on an 80% of wage government payout - a sort of temporary unemployment benefit. How does it work for the good folks that live under the mouse?

Varies state by state, but DC will temporarily supplement state-level unemployment by $600 per week. Sounds like a lot but bear in mind unemployment implies no health insurance etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villakram said:

The contract rolls over at 14:30 eastern tomorrow, so it'll be to whatever the June contract is at and various clowns without understanding will be stuck with all sorts of losses, i.e., (Price of June contract - Price of May contract)*number of contracts bought, or whatever exorbitant fees anyone with storage is willing to sell at, which is likely at delta less that the difference above.

Wonder how many suckers went all in at sub $1 prices! For reference, a typical contract is for 1k barrels of oil, and you need to provide your own barrels.

Yes, but indicates very little storage capacity left or desk trader man would tank the oil, sit on it and wait. It’s showing that the supply glut is seizing the system up. Next step is field shut downs, unless the economy opens ASAP. 

54 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yes, but indicates very little storage capacity left or desk trader man would tank the oil, sit on it and wait. It’s showing that the supply glut is seizing the system up. Next step is field shut downs, unless the economy opens ASAP. 

Storage around the world is filling up and oil tankers are being hired and parked off shore to fill it but the anomaly with negative prices was because small US operators all use the same temporary storage location in Oklahoma (the big players manage their own private storage locations). The Oklahoma storage was about to be full for May and any trades coming in at the end of the trading month had to pay for the privilege to sell. 

GMTV reporting that there are companies in the UK that have stockpiles of millions of pieces of PPE that they have offered to the government but had no interest shown so are shipping it out to Germany, France and Spain. Meanwhile, our order from Turkey is still in Turkey despite the promise it would be here by last Sunday. 

Day by day the heat is rising on this government. If we only had decent journalists to put real pressure on during the live briefings. 

So nature seems to be bouncing back around the world and we've now run out of space to store oil because of how little is currently being used. 

You read lots of people saying the negative affects this lockdown will have because of the economy dropping. On the flipside, considering climate change was such a global problem, are there not going to be benefits from this that will help slow down climate change and help get us on track to what those scientists have been trying to focus people on for years?

10 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Hopefully he knows exactly who is responsible and they get exposed for this. If it's from within Government then this really is disgusting.

They're obviously not bright by calling her Susan whilst having a name badge stating, Mia!

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

So nature seems to be bouncing back around the world and we've now run out of space to store oil because of how little is currently being used. 

You read lots of people saying the negative affects this lockdown will have because of the economy dropping. On the flipside, considering climate change was such a global problem, are there not going to be benefits from this that will help slow down climate change and help get us on track to what those scientists have been trying to focus people on for years?

For the short term this is great for the environment but I reckon after it’s over there will be a rush to get production back as cheaply and quickly as possible which probably means a run on dirty cheap fuels like coal and oil. 

The Tories have down for shameless propaganda on social media. The accounts get shut down, but it doesn't matter when the lies have already spread.

If it's not criminal, it ought to be.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

GMTV reporting that there are companies in the UK that have stockpiles of millions of pieces of PPE that they have offered to the government but had no interest shown so are shipping it out to Germany, France and Spain. Meanwhile, our order from Turkey is still in Turkey despite the promise it would be here by last Sunday. 

Day by day the heat is rising on this government. If we only had decent journalists to put real pressure on during the live briefings. 

The enquiries into the (mis)handling of this pandemic are going to run for years and years.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

If we only had decent journalists to put real pressure on during the live briefings. 

I know nothing about journalism but from what I have seen everyday,  the construction of the question is really important.  

Don't give them a free shot all the time.  If you ask "What could have been done different",  you know 100% the get out is "in unprecedented times or scientific advice".  Both deflect everything.

Unprecedented times = January and the first part of February at a push,  after that I would suggest that it's not that unprecedented.

There seems an assumption at the press conferences that historic scientific advice from SAGE can never be wrong or something like it.  Prove 1 thing wrong ffs.  

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

Literally all we have is Piers Morgan. What have we become?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sne said:

Disney furloughs 100.000 theme-park and hotel-workers.

I don't suppose anyone thought about linking it to market cap or balance sheet or something ?

Bob Iger(CEO / Chairman I think?),  anyway,  47.5 million earned last year that we know about. 

He's leaving soon,  I hope he at least gets a nice pen or a watch or something even better.

Grauniad:

France has stopped flights outside Schengen zone, says minister

Reuters is reporting that France has stopped all flights outside the Schengen zone. French transport and environment minister Elisabeth Borne told French RTL radio:

There are no more international flights outside the Schengen zone.

I’ll bring you more on this when I get it.

Edit:

Seems this was a misinterpretation -

An earlier post said France was stopping all flights outside the Schengen zone, but it appears that the Reuters interpretation of the French minister’s comments was not quite right. Rather than declaring a new policy, the transport and environment minister Elisabeth Borne was simply describing the current situation.

Edited by snowychap

38 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Would anyone be surprised if the government were doing this?

No, but having read a few more of that guy’s tweets I’m doubting more and more that it’s true. He’s changed his story a couple of times, and he keeps saying he has “evidence” without sharing what any of the evidence is. 

Not saying it is or it isn’t, but I’d like to see the “evidence” before making any judgements. 

The DHSC Comms team have also come out and categorically denied it too

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

No, but having read a few more of that guy’s tweets I’m doubting more and more that it’s true. He’s changed his story a couple of times, and he keeps saying he has “evidence” without sharing what any of the evidence is. 

Not saying it is or it isn’t, but I’d like to see the “evidence” before making any judgements. 

Yeah I did see that. 

To be fair, the government would be pretty stupid if they could trace these false accounts back to them. 

Clearly false accounts were made, I guess we won't really find out who are really behind it. 

With Cambridge analytica and the tories changing their twitter handle during live debates, they've shown they've got previous with using social media to manipulate people. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes, if he has the evidence then he really needs to find a way to present it. Although I suppose if it really is a smoking gun he probably wants to make sure he handles it in the best way possible. Just dumping it onto Twitter is likely to result in it getting lost or ignored.

Very interested to see this all plays out.

Â