Generic Virus Thread

villakram

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I try not to 😪

I feel your pain paul. Now my Mrs has been diagnosed I'm flapping my tits of at every cough, pain I have. We have no idea how long shes had it, as she's had hayfever too so ive probably already been exposed, an even now theres only so much isolation you can have when living with someone. I'm guessing I've got it now or gonna get it.

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I feel your pain paul. Now my Mrs has been diagnosed I'm flapping my tits of at every cough, pain I have. We have no idea how long shes had it, as she's had hayfever too so ive probably already been exposed, an even now theres only so much isolation you can have when living with someone. I'm guessing I've got it now or gonna get it.

I feel for you. You must be full of anxiety and worry. I have read your posts but I didn’t know what to write. I hope you and your mrs will be fine 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON said:

Not my own opinions. I was seeking people's thoughts on this perspective and thought it was worth seeing people's general views

What are your thoughts then? If I post a video then its assumption without comment that the video supports my view. You posted 3 videos from conspiracy channels by 3 conspiracy theorists. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

What are your thoughts then? If I post a video then its assumption without comment that the video supports my view. You posted 3 videos from conspiracy channels by 3 conspiracy theorists. 

The videos confused me greatly that's why I thought others could watch and give me their feedback. The lovely villa talk community.

When this comes from well known conspiracy theorists you can usually take with a pinch of salt but then it comes from dr's I thought it was worth seeking opinions

Edited by VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON

6 minutes ago, VlVA_LA_REVOLUTlON said:

Not my own opinions. I was seeking people's thoughts on this perspective and thought it was worth seeing people's general views

It was literally posted on a website that thinks vaccination is a worldwide fraud and half its posts are selling quack medicine that cures baldness and tooth decay.

You really shouldn’t be bothering with this shit. 

Edited by chrisp65

Just now, chrisp65 said:

It was literally posted on a website that thinks vaccination is a worldwide fraud and half its posts are selling quack medicine that cures baldness and tooth decay.

Ok thankyou. Apologies if anyone is offended.

• Like 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Where dis? Asking for a friend

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

John Burn-Murdosch, reporter and analyst for the FT, continues to say that per capita deaths are an almost irrelevant measurement. There's almost no correlation and all it does is make smaller countries look worse.

I know I have made this point a lot in this past, but I'm becoming less persuaded  - or at least more questioning - if I'm honest. Firstly, rather than retweeting that point about 'the per capita brigade' (at least he's changed the wording now) every evening, he should at least run the numbers again. The 29th of March is more than 3 weeks ago now, and the death totals are completely different.

Secondly, the conclusion he's drawing is clearly in large part a reflection of the data points that have gone in. On the one hand, China is so large in terms of population that it will distort the figures. On the other hand, he has (for perfectly good reasons) included a number of countries to which you would not normally compare the UK's healthcare system or outcomes. We wouldn't normally compare outcomes with Iraq, Algeria or the Philippines, for instance. When you compare to EU member states, which are obviously more similar, you do get a stronger correlation. If we look at 4 charts, we can see how much difference the inclusion of different data points makes:

EVvzAXmXQAA0UGD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Charts C & D both make more sense as international comparisons, and demonstrate that there is 'some' correlation between European population and fatalities-per-capita. C shows us what we already knew, on some level, which is that Spain and Belgium have had particularly bad outcomes, while Poland has been more successful in containment. D shows us that a large part of the weakening relationship is because East Asian countries have been so successful in reducing fatalities.

(charts from the middle of a very useful discussion here: https://twitter.com/chrishanretty/status/1250860860672802817)

Thirdly, we need to decide what we want to make the comparison *for*, something which I think Burn-Murdoch could be clearer about. His use of the phrase 'makes small countries look worse' suggests that he sees these charts as a kind of 'World Cup of coronavirus performance', at least in part. That's a valid thing to want to know, but I would say the real answer - in as much as there ever will be one - will come much later when we look at excess mortality over the 5-year rolling average. However, if we want to know different things, it makes sense to use different measurements. If we want to know how fast the virus is spreading, then propotional increases (measured in percentage terms) would be by far the best. If we want to know how a country is managing its outbreak, we should be benchmarking each country against its healthcare system capacity. If we want to know how bad the situation is in terms of 'how likely are you to know someone who has died', then per-capita figures make more sense (probably on the subnational level as well, rather than national level).

TL/DR - I think Burn-Murdoch's 'purist' approach to using absolute numbers for international comparisons made a lot of sense in mid-March, and has made progressively less sense ever since, and I'm now not convinced, and I think I have probably argued too strongly for it on this thread in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It's weird. The company I work for had, last week donated 24,000 face shields and a load of other PPE to the NHS - to local hospitals around our factories and facilities. They (my Co.)  told us

So from what I understand, maybe it's a bit of a... I don't want to be rude about people offering help... but well maybe instead of trying to contact an MP or Minister or Head of NHS, they could talk to their local hospital? or council? It's brilliant they used initiative and generosity to create or offer PPE, but maybe a little initiative in terms of who to talk to might help too? 

Yes the Government should make that advice clear and freely available to folk, if it's the case.

Yes, that's a fair point too.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know I have made this point a lot in this past, but I'm becoming less persuaded  - or at least more questioning - if I'm honest. Firstly, rather than retweeting that point about 'the per capita brigade' (at least he's changed the wording now) every evening, he should at least run the numbers again. The 29th of March is more than 3 weeks ago now, and the death totals are completely different.

Secondly, the conclusion he's drawing is clearly in large part a reflection of the data points that have gone in. On the one hand, China is so large in terms of population that it will distort the figures. On the other hand, he has (for perfectly good reasons) included a number of countries to which you would not normally compare the UK's healthcare system or outcomes. We wouldn't normally compare outcomes with Iraq, Algeria or the Philippines, for instance. When you compare to EU member states, which are obviously more similar, you do get a stronger correlation. If we look at 4 charts, we can see how much difference the inclusion of different data points makes:

EVvzAXmXQAA0UGD?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Charts C & D both make more sense as international comparisons, and demonstrate that there is 'some' correlation between European population and fatalities-per-capita. C shows us what we already knew, on some level, which is that Spain and Belgium have had particularly bad outcomes, while Poland has been more successful in containment. D shows us that a large part of the weakening relationship is because East Asian countries have been so successful in reducing fatalities.

(charts from the middle of a very useful discussion here: https://twitter.com/chrishanretty/status/1250860860672802817)

Thirdly, we need to decide what we want to make the comparison *for*, something which I think Burn-Murdoch could be clearer about. His use of the phrase 'makes small countries look worse' suggests that he sees these charts as a kind of 'World Cup of coronavirus performance', at least in part. That's a valid thing to want to know, but I would say the real answer - in as much as there ever will be one - will come much later when we look at excess mortality over the 5-year rolling average. However, if we want to know different things, it makes sense to use different measurements. If we want to know how fast the virus is spreading, then propotional increases (measured in percentage terms) would be by far the best. If we want to know how a country is managing its outbreak, we should be benchmarking each country against its healthcare system capacity. If we want to know how bad the situation is in terms of 'how likely are you to know someone who has died', then per-capita figures make more sense (probably on the subnational level as well, rather than national level).

TL/DR - I think Burn-Murdoch's 'purist' approach to using absolute numbers for international comparisons made a lot of sense in mid-March, and has made progressively less sense ever since, and I'm now not convinced, and I think I have probably argued too strongly for it on this thread in the past.

He has updated it to be fair I just found the tweet that made the same point but specifically addressed per capita. 

There is SLIGHTLY more of a correlation now. But it’s still very very weak

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He has updated it to be fair I just found the tweet that made the same point but specifically addressed per capita. 

There is SLIGHTLY more of a correlation now. But it’s still very very weak

This goes back to what we actually want the graphs for though, doesn't it. Of course it shows a weak correlation between population density and fatalities (though as I say, he could choose more appropriate comparators that would change that somewhat) because nobody has ever suggested that population or population density were *the monocausal explanation* for fatality rates. There are a huge number of confounding variables.

However, something doesn't have to have a high correlation to be of use. If I want to know whether my part of the country has been hit worse than other parts, for instance, I need a per-capita figure to answer that question, and the fact that population or population density aren't the single cause of the difference is irrelevant to that.

My questioning of Burn-Murdoch is what he wants his pasta line graphs to prove at this stage, and whether he is actually choosing the most effective visualisation for that. Some of his other charts are much better for this, by the way, such as the charts that show % change in hospitalisations in three colours that he has added over the last week. The fit between 'what the data is for' and 'what the data shows' is much clearer and better.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

Â