Generic Virus Thread

villakram

44 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Im drinking that think is making you mix your words :)

I’ve had one beer since my post in the what’s your tipple thread a week ago ...as per the other thread , it’s not a judgemental thing , I just kinda don’t get this rush to drink tbh , for me drinking is a social thing not something I do whilst watching pointless ...I’m in my garden reading enjoying the sunshine and drinking a Pepsimax 

That’s my attitude the rest of the time. I literally never drink at home. Maybe the odd beer with dinner on a special occasion.

Im not rushing to drink. Just something about this whole situation seems to have me drinking. And clearly I’m not the only one. 

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's me. Flat with no proper balcony and no outside grounds. Great for the train station an very cosy in winter but absolute murder when nice weather comes. Combine that with a lockdown and its depressing. Need to move to a place with a garden/roof terrace. 

Kinda harsh having lockdown as a factor when buying an apartment 😂

40 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s my attitude the rest of the time. I literally never drink at home. Maybe the odd beer with dinner on a special occasion.

Im not rushing to drink. Just something about this whole situation seems to have me drinking. And clearly I’m not the only one. 

My mate and his missus went stupid after the lock down, constantly drinking, constantly asking me if I was drinking, not understand that I was actually working, after the 2nd week he said that he was knocking it on the head, I just messaged him and asked if he is still off the drink and he replied with "am I ****"

I don't get it myself, I'm having a wee drink tonight but as I said earlier, Thursday is my usual drinking night and being a bank holiday I think it is acceptable to bring it forward by a night, plus I just remembered it was my birthday on Monday and I had nothing more than a tin of chicken soup and a cup of coffee (not together) so this is a belated bank holiday birthday drink.

Although I do feel like getting **** bladdered right now, feel like I need to let off a bit of steam, if worst comes to worst I can lie in bed all day and just answer the phone and avoid calls from my boss.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I agree. But the failure to accept the offer of the EU organised ventilator procurement thing that was offered was shameful and Brexity politics at their absolute, complacent, worst.

That all depends on whether we start losing people due to a lack of ventilators. If we do then yes, absolutely you’re right. Posts (not yours) stating that people are dying because we didn’t jump into an EU procurement programme are simply untrue. There’s capacity everywhere right now if it’s required.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

They're setting up a temporary, 1000 place morgue at work. Grim.

Also said on the radio this evening that a further 8 sites have been identified for field hospitals, making 17 in total. The activity and preparation doesn’t align with the public statements being made by PHE, NHS bods and politicians at the daily press conferences. 

Maybe they’re belatedly building in over capacity as a ‘just in case’ measure, or they’re actually setting up for a very long haul, which then doesn’t square with the peak in 7-10 days narrative. 

The strategic communications piece has been a failure from day one, imo. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

My mate and his missus went stupid after the lock down, constantly drinking, constantly asking me if I was drinking, not understand that I was actually working, after the 2nd week he said that he was knocking it on the head, I just messaged him and asked if he is still off the drink and he replied with "am I ****"

I don't get it myself, I'm having a wee drink tonight but as I said earlier, Thursday is my usual drinking night and being a bank holiday I think it is acceptable to bring it forward by a night, plus I just remembered it was my birthday on Monday and I had nothing more than a tin of chicken soup and a cup of coffee (not together) so this is a belated bank holiday birthday drink.

Although I do feel like getting **** bladdered right now, feel like I need to let off a bit of steam, if worst comes to worst I can lie in bed all day and just answer the phone and avoid calls from my boss.

I liken it to being on the titanic, I’d go to the bar and get shit faced. Others might not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

936 today. Over a thousand a day soon? 
We’ll end up with the worst death toll in Europe I reckon. 

Maybe the cheerleading press will stop suggesting we’ve handled this well then. Probably not. 

I think we may have had over a thousand a day for a few days now.

Lot of stories going around now about the difference between whats being reported by PHE and the ONS. 

A 70% increase... i saw banded about on C4 news.

Edited by AshVilla

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think we may have had over a thousand a day for a few days now.

Lot of stories going around now about the difference between whats being reported by PHE and the ONS. 

A 70% increase... i saw banded about on C4 news.

Yep, already worse than Italy (daily deaths plus those in the community) at the start of the climb to the plateaux. That US model yesterday was a shock but looks possible now.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Is it fair to say that in the next week or 2 the majority of the people that have the coronavirus (not including key workers) will be the people that ignored the rules?

Or is that way too simplistic?

Yes, many will be people infected by others who have ignored the rules.  I could imagine a lot of ferrel youts and twattish park/beach visitors taking it back home to other family members. 

Good luck with this one.

CHINA SUED Small Businesses Claim A COVID-19 Coverup ...AND IT COST US $8 TRILLION-PLUS!!!

Small businesses are folding left and right due to COVID-19 -- and now a bunch of 'em are suing the pants off China ... for TRILLIONS.

A group of small businesses in California -- including Cardiff Prestige Property, Little Saigon Chamber of Commerce, First Premier X and others -- just filed the lawsuit against the People's Republic of China, the City of Wuhan and that country's Health Commission.

According to the docs, obtained by TMZ, the small biz squad claims the Chinese government knew as early as mid-November that they were dealing with a "new" and potentially deadly virus, but kept quiet about it and even tried covering it up.

The lawsuit -- which this coalition is aiming to make a class-action by inviting similarly affected businesses across the U.S. -- also alleges it's possible a bio-weapons lab near Wuhan could be responsible for the infected bat that ended up in a wet market ... ultimately starting the pandemic.

As a result, this group of businesses says China has cost entrepreneurs dearly. The group is asking for a whopping $8 TRILLION in damages they say they and other small businesses have either already suffered, or will down the line due to government-ordered closures.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/08/small-businesses-sue-china-wuhan-coronavirus-8-trillion/

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

They were vehemently anti-tobacco, having identified the health risks.

Personally I've warmed to Hitler since I heard that he abhorred modern art. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

For me drinking is a social thing not something I do whilst watching pointless ...I’m in my garden reading enjoying the sunshine and drinking a Pepsimax :)

It sounds to me like you have a drinking problem. 

• Haha 1

From an article in the guardian, about the 3.5 mill useless antibody tests, sorry am on phone so can’t post link, but WTF! Sealink Ferries springs to mind. People thought the tories could negotiate a deal? 

The UK will now be trying to get a refund, said Kathy Hall, director of the Covid-19 testing strategy at the Department of Health.

“We’re now working with companies to cancel the orders and get the money back where possible,” she told the committee. No country has a valid antibody test in use, she said.

Edited by Jareth

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Personally I've warmed to Hitler since I heard that he abhorred modern art. 

Van Meegeren

the story of the 20th century’s greatest art forger, Dutch artist Han van Meegeren, who made millions during World War II selling fake Vermeers in Nazi-occupied Holland.

If ever you had some time to kill, this was half decent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Anyone else growing a quarantine beard?

Yep

I've always preferred to be clean shaven for work, but now I'm WFH I've enjoyed having a chance to grow it out

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Anyone else growing a quarantine beard?

Not so much growing one because I always have a beard, I only shave once every couple of months, judging by its length at the moment I reckon I've got about 6 weeks of growth, I am going to leave it until I am back working in the office though....the strange thing is that I have become obsessive about shaving my head.

Â