Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Trump has gone full Trump tonight. Summary here:

• It's the WHO's fault for getting the virus response wrong, he's going to look at whether he wants to keep on funding them -they're idiots, not him.
  • Black Americans are dying in disproportionate numbers because they're disproportionally in poverty in a racist America? No, It's because they aren't following the rules well enough - they need to do better.
  • Hey kids, buy hydroxychloroquine, it's good for you and it leaves you with a minty taste that lasts all day. 

He's a dangerous fruit loop with a hideous agenda.

He's Jude Law in Contagion, just with a more important job.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I haven't seen it. He's a profiteer and a mouthpiece for those whose intentions stretch no further forward than a few financial quarters.

Jude Law's character is a popular blogger/conspiracy theorist. Anti government in the way Trump is anti WHO or whoever else (pun not intended) is speaking the truth. 

He also gets the illness (well I took it that he faked the illness but I don't think that's ever confirmed) and claims a certain herbal remedy cured him, and then spreads fake news that this remedy is a cure and the government are keeping it from people because they can't make money from it. Turns out he has a stake in the remedy and is set to profit from it. 

The hydroxychloroquine with Trump reminds me of it, and even though he is the government, the conspiracy and fake news stuff reminds me a lot of what trump does too. Don't believe the simple, almost certainly correct explanation. Believe my bollocks instead. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, blandy said:

I agree. But the failure to accept the offer of the EU organised ventilator procurement thing that was offered was shameful and Brexity politics at their absolute, complacent, worst.

New ventilators for EU will take time, commission says

It will take time for the EU to get a large numbers of ventilators quickly to treat Covid-19 patients, a commission spokesperson said Friday. The executive launched a joint procurement in March, suppliers had been selected, and countries can begin negotiating deliveries. "Taking into account the difficult situation of the markets and the complexity of products like ventilators, their production and delivery is expected to take time," the spokesperson said.

Deciding to focus efforts on domestic industry and international  markets to rapidly increase ventilator capacity, might not be as complacent  and ‘Brexity’ as it first appeared.

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I haven't seen it. He's a profiteer and a mouthpiece for those whose intentions stretch no further forward than a few financial quarters.

I am convinced that he's manipulating the stock market. 

Take the China trade negotiations.  Everytime he says or posts something negative about it there is a big dip.   Then he says its close, real close and the market surges. 

I bet he is tipping off cronies what he's going to say in advance so he and they can buy or ditch shares in advance.  I'd bet my house there are large buying patterns somewhere in the system. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

We didn’t decline to join because it would be too slow!

It’s totally Brexity, for at least 2 reasons. 1. It’s not a case of either/ or, we could have chosen to do both - accept the offer and also act on our own. Secondly, the timescale was not definite when the offer was made - getting any new ventilators takes time. The UK did not know and does not know how long it will take either the EU programme, or our own to get sufficient numbers.

I don’t know if you read the text of the agreement, I admittedly haven’t so don’t know the details. If it involved the pooling and rationing out of production/acquisition, for example, we may have had nothing to gain from participating. 

We won’t be able to judge whether or not it was the right call for a few months, but it is at least possible those attacking this decision might be proven wrong. 

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

We didn’t decline to join because it would be too slow!

It’s totally Brexity, for at least 2 reasons. 1. It’s not a case of either/ or, we could have chosen to do both - accept the offer and also act on our own. Secondly, the timescale was not definite when the offer was made - getting any new ventilators takes time. The UK did not know and does not know how long it will take either the EU programme, or our own to get sufficient numbers.

Exactly, it’s not an either or. You take them from everywhere you can get them. 

Why the hell would we pool resources? We’ve got a billionaire party donor in Singapore that said he’d invent a new one.

Be here any minute....early May.

Hopefully.

Pooling resources and sharing knowledge during a pandemic would be such a loser move for a country that just took back control.

10 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Exactly, it’s not an either or. You take them from everywhere you can get them. 

No quick deliveries of COVID-19 ventilators, EU says

The Commission launched a joint procurement procedure on March 17 to

buy ventilators on behalf of the bloc’s 26 member states, in a bid to cut prices and reduce competition among states seeking the machines. 

The Brussels-based Commission said suppliers had been selected and it was sending contracts out to them before member states can begin negotiating specific deliveries. 

“Taking into account the difficult situation of the markets and the complexity of products like ventilators, their production and delivery is expected to take time,” a Commission spokesman told a news briefing. 

The coronavirus pandemic has strained EU unity as member states compete to secure supplies such as masks, testing kits and ventilators. 

Germany, Romania, France, Romania, Poland and other states have faced criticism in the bloc for restricting exports of locally-available medical gear and medicines to other member states.

So the ‘value add’ was reducing competition between EU states, including the UK would remove is from the market as a competitor for the same finite resource. The bonus was slowing down the entire acquisition process during an emergency..

That’s two potential reasons for the UK to decline. 

Edited by blandy
quoting fix

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Nearly a thousand dead, and in reality probably over a thousand dead yesterday - yet most media outlets lead with 'Boris is sitting up in bed'. Give me a break. 

The US had almost 2000 dead and well over 30.000 new cases yet again and their press is reporting that Trump might pardon Joe Exotic from The Tiger King...

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yet the powers that be assumed they could negotiate a quick delivery of antibody tests by going it alone, even spurning UK manufactures. The result? They basically contractually still owe the money for the 3.5 million tests which they didn't even ask if they worked. Going solo has reaped such benefits. And I 100% know, the EU will have more ventlilators than we will, faster. Meanwhile at Dyson - 

Billionaire Dyson’s 10,000 Ventilators Risk Missing Coronavirus ‘Peak Week’ In U.K. Hospitals

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddawkins/2020/04/08/billionaire-dysons-10000-ventilators-are-not-yet-delivered-and-risk-missing-peak-week-hour-of-their-greatest-need/#4a11b1cb1c6f

Just now, sne said:

The US had almost 2000 dead and well over 30.000 new cases yet again and their press is reporting that Trump might pardon Joe Exotic from The Tiger King...

I used to have faith that we weren't just a mob that could be easily manipulated - but my god, it is completely the case. 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Good. He was clearly talked into it by that Jeff guy. 

• Like 1

Â