Generic Virus Thread

villakram

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same questions today. Every day. 

What’s the exit strategy, how long will it last, hows the PM

blah blah blah

I could do Raab’s job for this hour. 

We don’t know how long it will last, we need to see the data, we don’t know how long it will last, we have to obey the measures for now, we’ll review it regularly, the PM is stable

Its like watching a repeat

Would it be better or worse to have total transparency I wonder, whatever that transparency is.

We all know for sure that we’re kept largely in the dark on all key matters, I guess in terms of maintaining social order it’s easier.

Just now, LondonLax said:

There is also a very real possibility that there will never be a vaccine, we have been looking for a vaccine for the cold for decades. 

Well this is what I thought recently, and I think posted some time back.

But flu is also part of the same family of virus (I think) and yet there’s an annual jab available for that......I don’t even know what the jab does, does it make you immune from flu or just less likely to suffer from it?

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Would it be better or worse to have total transparency I wonder, whatever that transparency is.

We all know for sure that we’re kept largely in the dark on all key matters, I guess in terms of maintaining social order it’s easier.

I don’t really care about that. I just want them to stop asking the same questions when they know the answers will be the same. 

Why ask them how long this will last when you know they’re just going to say they don’t know and they’ll keep reviewing it and to stick to the rules for now. 

9 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

@Spoony @Xela

Ok if you must continue with your ‘bespoke lifestyle’ choices, at least take precautions. Wear gloves when shit pickin’ and try to at least boil the urine before consumption. 

Otherwise crack on :D

Just a quick word of warning to anyone thinking of microwaving a turd. Don't.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well this is what I thought recently, and I think posted some time back.

But flu is also part of the same family of virus (I think) and yet there’s an annual jab available for that......I don’t even know what the jab does, does it make you immune from flu or just less likely to suffer from it?

The flu jab gives you an immunity to a few strains of flu that research indicates will be the more common strains each year.

The flu (and cold) viruses constantly change so you can never be truly immune to it, and it's why there's never been a vaccine for it that offers full immunity, because the virus is constantly in flux.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Just a quick word of warning to anyone thinking of microwaving a turd. Don't.

Top tip there 👍🏻

My advice is to flame grill it in a paper bag, but leave it on a neighbours doorstep so the smoke doesn’t float near your own house. 

22 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is also a very real possibility that there will never be a vaccine, we have been looking for a vaccine for the cold for decades. 

True. It shows how delicately balanced our current lifestyles are, at any time a new virus could emerge that we can’t vaccinate against. Add that to the growing threat of antimicrobial resistance and it we have the potential for mass disruption of the way we live our lives in future. 

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

True, but a cold vaccine isn't a priority. Its not a killer. Most people go about their daily duties with a cold. 

Edited by Xela

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

True, but a cold vaccine isn't a priority. Its not a killer. Most people go about their daily duties with a cold. 

It’s a priority in the sense that whoever invented a vaccine would make a lot of money. We’ve never been able to find a vaccine for Aids either. Some virus’s we can’t seem to crack. 

32 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The flu jab gives you an immunity to a few strains of flu that research indicates will be the more common strains each year.

The flu (and cold) viruses constantly change so you can never be truly immune to it, and it's why there's never been a vaccine for it that offers full immunity, because the virus is constantly in flux.

There are companies currently working on and, apparently, close to finding a universal flu vaccine. I only know this because I’m watching Pandemic on Netflix (which is scarily prophetic!) 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

FFS, David Icke has been at the bleach again.... 

Mr Icke also falsely claimed that a coronavirus vaccine, when one is developed, will include "nanotechnology microchips" that would allow humans to be controlled. He added that Bill Gates - who is helping fund Covid-19 vaccine research - should be jailed. His views went unchallenged for much of the two-and-a-half-hour show.

Coronavirus: YouTube tightens rules after David Icke 5G interview https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52198946

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

It’s a priority in the sense that whoever invented a vaccine would make a lot of money. We’ve never been able to find a vaccine for Aids either. Some virus’s we can’t seem to crack. 

Haven't a few people been cured of HIV? I think it was down to stem cells. They can certainly manage the disease far better then they used to, which means most can lead normal lives. They will crack Covid19, its just a matter of time IMO

Icke is a word removed and he attracts words removed to his message. The only positive is that this nonsense allows people to flag themselves up as words removed.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Haven't a few people been cured of HIV? I think it was down to stem cells. They can certainly manage the disease far better then they used to, which means most can lead normal lives. They will crack Covid19, its just a matter of time IMO

There’s no vaccine for HIV but there are now treatments available for those who contract the virus, they took about 30 years of medical research to develop.  

I think the most likely way this plays out is that most of us get it over the next couple of years and we do our best to nurse those who are badly affected through it. Once over 60% of the population have had it the virus struggles to find new hosts and dies out. 

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

My thoughts are they will have a vaccine, just cant put a date on it. Rumour has it, there are already a few under test by the major manufacturers.

If it's a stable virus then a vaccine is perfectly possible, though not certain - there's plenty of viruses we know inside out but haven't developed treatments against. We don't know what this virus does long term or what it's effects are in full, if anything. And then there's the issue with vaccines that they can sometimes have side effects (no, not the MMR thing). Rushing a vaccine to market might be storing to another disaster up for tomorrow.

If it mutates the way flu viruses do, then I'd bet against a vaccine, which is a a nightmare scenario for the foreseeable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Yes. I think I read about one case in London at thestart of the year. 

Trouble in testing land

the Germans who are developing their own sensitive kits believe they are three months away from getting these available and validated. No test has been acclaimed by health authorities as having the necessary characteristics for screening people accurately for protective immunity.

Having been collectively spoofed by the Chinese antibody testing scam, it seems no one is even close to a reliable version yet. 

Edited by Awol
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

786 is the figure on bbc news 

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

It’s 786 here too 

UK 55,242 +3,634 6,159  +786

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

So, I think NHS England have posted 758 deaths Between 5pm 5th and 5pm 6th, that is ‘todays’ figure. Its on the NHS England website. Scotland has reported 74, Wales 19, Norn Iron 3.

I make that 854 deaths in hospital. 

I’m going by NHS numbers, not BBC or worldometers.

But even those figures are estimates with lots of caveats and exclude deaths at home or in prison etc..

• Like 1

Â