Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Haven't a few people been cured of HIV? I think it was down to stem cells. They can certainly manage the disease far better then they used to, which means most can lead normal lives. They will crack Covid19, its just a matter of time IMO

2 people so far 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51804454

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Trouble in testing land

Having been collectively spoofed by the Chinese antibody testing scam, it seems no one is even close to a reliable version yet. 

Yes whatever, but why haven't the Evil Government bought a billion of them yet? Should have seen the lack of an adequate test coming and invented them at least 6 months ago. 

• Like 1

This is interesting, seems the reproductive rate of the virus is much higher than predicted. Guessing this means they’ll have to stamp it right out before any real reduction in social distancing measures, then be much stricter about incoming international travel. 

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

This is interesting, seems the reproductive rate of the virus is much higher than predicted. Guessing this means they’ll have to stamp it right out before any real reduction in social distancing measures, then be much stricter about incoming international travel. 

Ouch, 4 times more contagious and no cure. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There is also a very real possibility that there will never be a vaccine, we have been looking for a vaccine for the cold for decades. 

You could create a vaccine for the cold now, its just that there are billions of types of the common cold so a vaccine for a single strain would be pointless. 

The flu vaccine is different every year and only covers the most common ones in circulation the year before. They effectively have to identify next year's big thing. 2 or 3 years ago there was a bit of a hoo-ha when they missed one so quite a common flu was not part of the vaccine meaning we could have had a similar situation to now, but it didn't get out of hand.   That probably illustrates how much more contagious Coronavirus is compared to flu. 

Coronavirus only has a couple of strains currently so I think they will easily create a vaccine. The issue is how quickly / easily it mutates.  If its a slippery sucker we might have to have annual Coronavirus vaccine as well as an annual Flu vaccine and again will probably be aimed only at the vulnerable so the fit and healthy can take their chances. 

3 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

That WHO link also says that virus remains stable in faeces and urine at room temperature for 1-2 days. 

Please protect yourselves and don’t handle any street turds, or drink any piss. It’s for your own good. 

Well that's my long Easter Weekend ruined.  

• Like 1

My concern is about letting my guard down. The doctor says I've had the virus but I've had no test done so he can't be 100% sure although I'm pretty certain I've had it. However, there are some horror stories like the 44 yera old Asthmatic woman who thought she was over it then ended up in hospital where she died. I'm coughing and it's leaving me short of breath so I'm taking it as easy as possible until I'm back to normal again - no chances taken. 

Also, there was some news yesterday about 51 South Koreans that had the virus, got over it, then were tested positive again. They reckon the virus sleeps in you then starts up again. Now that is scary! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Special Report: Johnson listened to his scientists about coronavirus - but they were slow to sound the alarm

This is a really detailed and balanced look at how we got here, and maybe where we’re going. Worth a read. 

Highly recommend reading this. Cheers for posting @Awol

If true Whitty and others certainly seem to have played down the threat at the start and we took too long to raise the threat levels which left us unprepared and playing catch up.

Going forward it seems that though there may be short periods where the measures we are under now will be relaxed a little it is going to be sometime before we get back to anything like normal.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Highly recommend reading this. Cheers for posting @Awol

Whitty certainly seems to have played down the threat at the start and we took too long to raise the threat levels which left us unprepared and playing catch up.

Going forward it seems that though there may be short periods where the measures we are under now will be relaxed a little it is going to be sometime before we get back to anything like normal.

Personally don’t see the point in lifting some measures. You’ll still get idiots who take it too far. May as well leave things as they are until it’s all cleared, as it’ll likely go back to this anyway once rules are relaxed 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So, I think NHS England have posted 758 deaths Between 5pm 5th and 5pm 6th, that is ‘todays’ figure. Its on the NHS England website. Scotland has reported 74, Wales 19, Norn Iron 3.

I make that 854 deaths in hospital. 

I’m going by NHS numbers, not BBC or worldometers.

But even those figures are estimates with lots of caveats and exclude deaths at home or in prison etc..

Stupendous

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally don’t see the point in lifting some measures. You’ll still get idiots who take it too far. May as well leave things as they are until it’s all cleared, as it’ll likely go back to this anyway once rules are relaxed 

There won’t be an economy to come back to...

Â