Generic Virus Thread

villakram

My wife is a NHS nurse and was emailed today as they are looking for nurses to volunteer to work at the temp Nightingale hospital at the NEC in Birmingham. It won't be used for intensive care but for step down/rehab patients that are getting better and also for palliative care for those patients that won't get better. I guess this is what all these temp hospitals will be used for.

Seen a few Chinooks go over over the last few days which I assume it's to do with the prep say the NEC to convert it to a field hospital. Very rare to see military aircraft around here.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think he’d have to be near him for it work. Doubt he’d do it from that distance. 

Clearly you misunderestimate the power of mind beams when channelled through cutlery.

• Haha 1

Some research now finding that mortality is higher in regions where air pollution is higher (eg Northern Italy).

Still a correlation rather than a causal relationship, but intuitive if it’s all about healthy lungs.

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Big jump in numbers today but I think people were expecting that right?

I know some models were predicting we’d be at 850+ deaths per day by now so I guess we’re inside of that number which must be relatively positive.

Weekends are always slower for deaths due to a reporting lag.

Also, historically (I don't know if that's the case now with all hands on deck?) you are much more likely to die at a hospital during the weekend as there is less staff

Tomorrow will unfortunately likely be over 800...

It's loose in a care home My other half is visiting.

Test came back positive from a long term disabled chap that passed a couple of days ago . A few residents have been there decades, they are like a family to each other. Not only have they lost their friend, they're now dreading to see who else will show symptoms? Awful stuff.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I know some models were predicting we’d be at 850+ deaths per day by now so I guess we’re inside of that number which must be relatively positive.

Wasn’t it 854 today?

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

7 minutes ago, Enda said:

Wasn’t it 854 today?

I think the UK figure is 924

There is, I think, a little bit of confusion when people quote national figures, not UK. BBC and Sky appear particularly confused by this.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think the UK figure is 924

There is, I think, a little bit of confusion when people quote national figures, not UK. BBC and Sky appear particularly confused by this.

Someone dies from this in the UK every 90 seconds or so. Terrifying.

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/daphneewingchow/2020/03/29/how-a-little-island-in-the-caribbean-sea-is-standing-up-to-the-goliath-of-coronavirus/amp/

Yay we made the news. Tbf the Cayman government has smashed this. Business were closed and we were in lockdown very rapidly and before the UK. Life is very tedious as a result as we are only allowed out to exercise for an hour and a half every day except Sunday (hard lockdown on Sundays) and you can’t drive anywhere as you get stopped by police roadblocks if you do. It’s not exactly pedestrian friendly here and the places we can go to walk are extremely limited. But it’s the right thing to do and I think we’ve only had about 30 cases here now as a result. A mass spread of the virus here would be catastrophic as we just don’t have the facilities or doctors. Usually if you have anything moderately wrong with you, you go to Miami but obviously that’s no longer an option.  

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.forbes.com/sites/daphneewingchow/2020/03/29/how-a-little-island-in-the-caribbean-sea-is-standing-up-to-the-goliath-of-coronavirus/amp/

Yay we made the news. Tbf the Cayman government has smashed this. Business were closed and we were in lockdown very rapidly and before the UK. Life is very tedious as a result as we are only allowed out to exercise for an hour and a half every day except Sunday (hard lockdown on Sundays) and you can’t drive anywhere as you get stopped by police roadblocks if you do. It’s not exactly pedestrian friendly here and the places we can go to walk are extremely limited. But it’s the right thing to do and I think we’ve only had about 30 cases here now as a result. A mass spread of the virus here would be catastrophic as we just don’t have the facilities or doctors. Usually if you have anything moderately wrong with you, you go to Miami but obviously that’s no longer an option.  

Surely with such a small island it would be reasonably easy to make sure the island stays free of cases? Couldn’t they quarantine all new arrivals?

Â