Generic Virus Thread

villakram

44 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Can anyone explain why Germany death is so low?

Short answer is More ICU beds  more testing so you can get people to those beds earlier but also  the average age of those infected in Germany is much lower than other countries , 49 v 60+ in neighbouring countries, although young people can die from it they do have a better recovery rates ... 

long answer is in this NY Times article

Another explanation for the low fatality rate is that Germany has been testing far more people than most nations. That means it catches more people with few or no symptoms, increasing the number of known cases, but not the number of fatalities.

“That automatically lowers the death rate on paper,” said Professor Kräusslich.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trump, classy as always using the fact that Boris is in hospital to tout his own horn and score some points with the usual incoherent ramblings.

US companies making huge progress, AIDS, Ebola, so advanced treatments that ordinary people wouldn't understand, but he does. 2 huge companies, he's spoken to all 4 of them.

Sending help to London, or not. Speaking absolute jibberish. Also looking even more orange than usual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Trump, classy as always using the fact that Boris is in hospital to tout his own horn and score some points with the usual incoherent ramblings.

US companies making huge progress, AIDS, Ebola, so advanced treatments that ordinary people wouldn't understand, but he does. 2 huge companies, he's spoken to all 4 of them.

Sending help to London, or not. Speaking absolute jibberish. Also looking even more orange than usual.

The scary thing is how much of the American public just seem to go along with it. Madness. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes agree. Containing it as early as possible I just think was the way to go instead of playing Russian roulette with peoples lives. 

I can see both sides of argument lockdown. It was probably 4-5 days late but possibly wouldn't have stopped mass spread anyway.

Worse decisions were Cheltenham going ahead and Liverpool-Atletico Madrid infront of 55k.

Most effective way to fight the virus would've been to have mass testing ready to go when lockdown starting but guess we can't have everything.

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Amazed anyone actually watches the press conferences and expects Trump to say anything reasonable or logical. Only time he's even shown self awareness was when he was joking with the press awhile ago along the lines of imagine how much worse it would be if I actually drunk!

Oh and that time he let Kanye West just rant away in the Oval office was pretty funny aswell, even Trump was just staring at him non-plussed.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I can see both sides of argument lockdown. It was probably 4-5 days late but possibly wouldn't have stopped mass spread anyway.

Worse decisions were Cheltenham going ahead and Liverpool-Atletico Madrid infront of 55k.

Most effective way to fight the virus would've been to have mass testing ready to go when lockdown starting but guess we can't have everything.

The panic was bad enough as it is, I can only imagine what it would have been like if we had gone into lockdown overnight rather than in stages.  Those two events were definitely a mistake though.

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Short answer is More ICU beds  more testing so you can get people to those beds earlier but also  the average age of those infected in Germany is much lower than other countries , 49 v 60+ in neighbouring countries, although young people can die from it they do have a better recovery rates ... 

long answer is in this NY Times article

The bit in bold is because they are testing more people, not because the virus in Germany is choosing younger people to infect.

Many countries (like the U.K.) are only testing people as they arrive in hospitals and most people who arrive in hospitals are old, ergo a country like the U.K. is only finding positive cases amongst old people who get it. 

Germany is testing old and young people and so finding more young people who have it but don’t need to end up in hospital. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Maybe the whole lebensborn master race thing worked, Rates low in Norway too....

I think we are a bit of an odd case really.  We have one massive advantage in that we are a relatively big country with about 6 people. 

We also probably haven't tested enough. 

It's also rare to smoke here and obesity is not that normal as in the UK, and Norwegians in general (all ages) tend to be physically active. Doesn't mean we don't struggle with this cause we do, but it's not really a country for comparison. 

Germany I don't know much about. But I read they had some sort of advantage wgen it came to age groups, but didn't quite pick up on what it was. With 80 million + people you'd think they were in trouble. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

8 hours ago, snowychap said:

Not a chance, in my view.

If/when this thing gets cracked, there will be as much industrial polution produced as is humanly possible in an attempt to get economies going and make up lost ground..

That’s such a shame. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wezbid said:

The scary thing is how much of the American public just seem to go along with it. Madness. 

Yes, from this point on, if Boris gets better 99% of all Trump supporters will utterly believe it was because Trump has saved him. 

Re: Germany and its relatively low death rate. There is also the view that they are earlier in the curve than the UK, Spain, Italy and France and as their testing has been on a far greater scale as to those countries mentioned it appears to be a far lower number.

There have also been accusations of not counting patients who have died with Covid 19 (i.e. with an underlying condition) and only those of Covid 19. Maybe they redeployed some of the boys from Volkswagen.

47 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Talking of the change in pollution from a city in Punjab, India you are now able to clearer see the Himalayas in the distance over 200 miles away. It’s an incredible sight. Apparently it’s the first time they have been seen in over 30 years.  

Article

Many lives are actually going to be saved by a lockdown because of the lack of pollution rather than from the virus.

• Like 1

Germany are doing better because they have people in charge who got a grip on the situation early, and still now. For example they have a team of taxis staffed by younger volunteers who go house to house wherever someone has reported symptoms, then follow up daily with those contacts and if needs be bring them to hospital. Meanwhile in the UK, we are told to stay home, and those who are more stoic than others will end up very ill because they are not being monitored, and most likely die at home. This is a stark difference in the two countries response. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The panic was bad enough as it is, I can only imagine what it would have been like if we had gone into lockdown overnight rather than in stages.  Those two events were definitely a mistake though.

I agree, although the scenes at the supermarket were ugly at times it did allow people to get stocked up so they could avoid having to keep going out.

• Like 1

Â